The American Monarchy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 11:18:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The American Monarchy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 32
Author Topic: The American Monarchy  (Read 243353 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: January 27, 2008, 01:20:13 AM »
« edited: January 27, 2008, 06:02:24 PM by Lief »

Finally, in March 1920, Prime Minister Roosevelt oversaw the signing of the Treaty of Rome, officially ending the war. Roosevelt and the American delegation had won a promise by the signatories to reduce their armaments and military by 25% by 1925 and an additional 25% by 1930; a pledge by Germany, Austria-Hungary, and the Ottoman Empire to pursue democratic reforms; and the creation of a League of Nations to mediate international disputes, as well as the full annexation of British Canada, with the exception of Alaska, Newfoundland, Labrador and Prince Edward Island. Britain agreed to grant full independence to “Southern Ireland”, with a plebiscite to be held in Northern Ireland considering that area’s future.2 Germany annexed Luxembourg and the remainder of Lorraine, and the French were forced to demilitarize the area east of the Meuse River and north of the Seine River. Germany would also establish a Zollverein, or German Customs Union, including Belgium (which would essentially become a German puppet state) and Netherlands, effectively gaining economic control of the two nations. In the Balkans, a German prince would be instated as King of Albania, while Serbia became a puppet state under the influence of Austria-Hungary, and was essentially blamed for starting the war. Greece was forced to surrender the Aegean Islands to the Ottoman Empire. Britain was also forced to cede Cyprus to the Ottomans and guarantee limited autonomy for Egypt (through Britain was allowed to hold on to Palestine and the Basra/Kuwait area as British mandates). Germany also gave up all claims to islands or territories in the Pacific that had been seized by the Japanese, though the Japanese were forced to pay reparations (as were the other members of the Entente Powers). Finally, Poland was created with German political control and as a member of the Zollverein, as a buffer state between Russia and Germany. Finally, the United States and Germany gained numerous colonial possessions in Africa from the British, French and Belgians. Germany also gained Indochina.

1Churchill had lobbied heavily for an invasion of Anatolia, a maneuver that he believed would knock the Ottomans out of the war, but Asquith, unwilling to stretch British forces further, denied Churchill’s request.
2Northern Ireland would vote overwhelmingly to remain part of the United Kingdom.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #351 on: January 27, 2008, 01:32:06 AM »

A nice update but isn't it pretty pointless for Britain to keep Alaska? I can understand the others, since they are in the Atlantic but Alaska?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #352 on: January 27, 2008, 01:34:23 AM »

Britain didn't want to give up its eastern Pacific presence.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #353 on: January 27, 2008, 01:34:59 AM »

Would it be possible to get a world map?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #354 on: January 27, 2008, 01:38:47 AM »

Yes, I'll make one.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #355 on: January 27, 2008, 01:45:32 AM »

I thought we already owned PEI? Or am I just crazy?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #356 on: January 27, 2008, 02:19:35 AM »

Even though they were allied, I can't see the Germans, Austrians and Americans actually rewarding the Ottomans with territory grants from Greece. More likely, they'd ignore the Ottomans in the negotiations or even try to give them a bad deal. No one liked the Ottomans; they were only part of the Central Powers for convenience (and politically they would have been too weak to protest an Austrian-German-American attempt to bully them into not seeking any territory).
Kevinstat

« Reply #357 on: January 27, 2008, 02:27:26 AM »

I'm surprised Britain would gain anything, even from the Ottomans, after losing the war.  Did the Ottomans not make any gains after the Brits diverted troops to France for that failed offensive?

Also, why did Romania join the war on the Allied side?  Was there a successful or semi-successful Russian offensive like the Brusilov Offensive in OTL, that led them to attack Transilvania in Austria-Hungary.  Were the Bulgarians neutral at the time Romania joined the Entente side, as in OTL?

Also, did America invade Provence (in southeastern France) from Italy, which our troops were allowed to enter even though Italy was officially (and you say genuinely) neutral?

I think this has been an awesome TL, but I noticed more things that made me go "huh?" in your last two update posts than usual.  Perhaps you can explain them and your explanation can become part of the timeline without being it's own installment, in that they add to the main updates like many of your answers to people's questions.

Also, does Alaska have the same boundaries as modern-day Alaska in OTL?  Do we have the entire OTL Yukon Territory and British Columbia, and not an inch of OTL Alaska around Juneau?  I know the Boundary between Alaska and Canada was disputed for awhile in OTL, and a compromise was eventually arrived at, so perhaps the British claim can be researched (I'm not volunteering, but it might be on Wikipedia) and that is what the boudary will be, the U.S. haveing just won a war with Britain and the two nations being reversed as far as what side of the Alaska border they will control.  But if you want to use the OTL boundary of Alaska I can't fault you?  Timeline update beggers (although I haven't done that, except for mayby once) can't be choosers, right?

Hmm, looks like Verily and I expected the Ottomans to be treated in opposite ways.  Perhaps the gains of some Greek Islands and Cyprus were to compensate the Ottomans for the loss of Palestine and the Kuwait-? (I forget) area.  Greece would be an even smaller fry then the Ottomans, likely, and they might have joined the war on the Allied side in this TL (as they might have eventually in OTL, and had Allied troops fighting Bulgarians there while they were still officially neutral).
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #358 on: January 27, 2008, 03:17:24 PM »

No problem, Kevinstat. Obviously I can't write hundred-page long updates, so answering questions gives me the opportunity to elaborate on some of the details I overlooked.

Regarding the Ottomans, while the British were in the Middle-East, they managed to conquer most of the Ottoman territory (as in OTL), except for of course Turkey. After Asquith pulled them out, there were enough Arab rebels and remaining British soldiers to ensure that Turkey was unable to regain most of their lost territory. So, at the peace negotiations, aware that the Ottomans would be unable to hold on to much of their conquered territory even if it was returned to them, Roosevelt and Wilson pushed for a free Palestine and Basra (modern-Kuwait plus the Iraqi city of Basra), under British mandate. Giving the British Palestine and Basra also made it easier for them to accept the loss of Cyprus.

Because the United States didn't influence the Balkan or Eastern theater really at all, Romania and Bulgaria still joined the Entente Powers and the Quadruple Alliance (of USA, Germany, Austria, Ottoman Empire), respectively, as they did in OTL.

America never invaded France, as the Germans were able to defeat the French and British without direct American assistance. The successful American efforts in Canada and Ireland, as well as the fermenting of rebellion in India, were able to divert British attention and manpower, leading to a German victory. Regarding India (as I forgot to include it in my update), the British have pacified most of the country, though there is still heavy fighting in the Bengal and Punjab regions, and intermittent attacks throughout the country.

Alaska has the boundaries decided on by the British when they bought the territory from Russia, which are more or less the modern boundaries.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #359 on: January 27, 2008, 03:23:38 PM »

What's happened in India?

Does America have any foreign colonies?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #360 on: January 27, 2008, 04:22:09 PM »

The rebellion in India has more or less died down, though the British are still facing heavy opposition in the Bengal and Punjab regions.

America gained some colonies in Africa from the Treaty of Rome, as well as Puerto Rico, Guam and the Phillipines from the Spanish War.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #361 on: January 27, 2008, 04:28:17 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2008, 04:48:21 PM by Angry Weasel »

The Ottos still have Sudan, right? I would say the U.S. would have Nambia, Nigeria, South Africa and Kenya, right? Can the Italians take Libya, the Germans, Algeria and the Turks, Eygpt and Sudan? and the Ottomans, Americans and Germans take connectable peices of the Mauritania, Mali, Niger, Chad and the rest of the Sahara? and the Germans take the Congo.

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #362 on: January 27, 2008, 04:55:58 PM »

The rebellion in India has more or less died down, though the British are still facing heavy opposition in the Bengal and Punjab regions.

Long live the resistance!

America gained some colonies in Africa from the Treaty of Rome, as well as Puerto Rico, Guam and the Phillipines from the Spanish War.

Will PR go the way of Cuba?
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #363 on: January 27, 2008, 04:56:36 PM »

The Ottos still have Sudan, right? I would say the U.S. would have Nambia, Nigeria, South Africa and Kenya, right? Can the Italians take Libya, the Germans, Algeria and the Turks, Eygpt and Sudan? and the Ottomans, Americans and Germans take connectable peices of the Mauritania, Mali, Niger, Chad and the rest of the Sahara? and the Germans take the Congo.

Remember by this time South Africa was independent, also I think that the Ottomans did not have any of Africa, they were regulated to Turkey + some parts of Iraq, Syria, and islands in the Mediterranean. Right Lief?

Oh and was there an Armenian genocide in this timeline?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #364 on: January 27, 2008, 05:23:01 PM »

By the start of World War I (in my timeline and in our's) the Ottoman's had been pushed out of Africa. The United States will get some colonies in Africa (I'm making a world map right now), but not as many as Angry Weasel would like. Wink The Germans were pretty adamant at the Rome Peace Conference about establishing a "Mittelafrika" Colony.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #365 on: January 27, 2008, 05:27:00 PM »

Why is Francis Joseph still alive in 1920?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #366 on: January 27, 2008, 05:43:21 PM »

Eh, typo. Should have read Franz Ferdinand I.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #367 on: January 27, 2008, 05:57:43 PM »

OK.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #368 on: January 27, 2008, 06:11:07 PM »

OK.

If you mean becoming a state or a Royal Dependency, not at the moment.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #369 on: January 27, 2008, 06:13:59 PM »

OK.

If you mean becoming a state or a Royal Dependency, not at the moment.

Do any parties support the idea?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #370 on: January 27, 2008, 06:14:11 PM »

When will you write the next thing and how far will you take this thing?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #371 on: January 27, 2008, 06:15:43 PM »

When will you write the next thing and how far will you take this thing?

He'll write the next one whenever he feels like in, and I'm guessing he'll take it to the present.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #372 on: January 27, 2008, 06:17:04 PM »

Beyond the present? If it's just the present, he's almost done!
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #373 on: January 27, 2008, 06:19:37 PM »

Beyond the present? If it's just the present, he's almost done!

Still almost 90 years left. It'll take a few months.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #374 on: January 27, 2008, 06:26:20 PM »

He's been through ...what? 130?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies