Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 21, 2014, 01:16:58 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Political Debate (Moderator: Beet)
| | |-+  Private schools
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Private schools  (Read 9677 times)
incredibly specific types of post-punk music
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2004, 01:22:14 pm »
Ignore

after the big debate over this, time to make it a poll.

I vote no.  But I do think kids should be allowed to go to a different public school in the area even if they don't live in that district. I did.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Lunar
Moderators
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 01:25:35 pm »
Ignore

Of course.  If a rich person wants to pay money for a private school, I, the tax payer, don't have pay as much!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2004, 01:25:52 pm by Lunar »Logged

this is real
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 01:26:59 pm »
Ignore

This is probably the most ridiculous poll we'll ever have. YES, of course, private schools should be legal.

Never any doubt.
PBrunsel
YaBB God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 01:27:50 pm »
Ignore

They should be legal. If a person wants to pay for one that's there business.

"I know that the Lord is always on the side of the right. But it is my constant anxiety and prayer that I and this nation should be on the Lord's side."
-President Abraham Lincoln, December 1862
KEmperor
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 01:37:40 pm »
Ignore

This is probably the most ridiculous poll we'll ever have. YES, of course, private schools should be legal.

I agree with Keystone's sentiments.
Akno21
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2004, 01:56:10 pm »
Ignore

We don't have the right to ban private schools. This is ridiculus.

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Moderators
YaBB God
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -1.74

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2004, 01:59:39 pm »
Ignore

Yet another example of Class Warfare by the far-Left.  They don't want Private Schools, because people who can afford to send their kids there are giving them a better education and more oppertunity and that is just wrong.

P.S.  I went to private school and my family couldn't afford it.  My priest payed about half the cost to send me there.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2004, 02:00:45 pm by Vice-President Supersoulty »Logged

Akno21
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 02:06:59 pm »
Ignore

Yet another example of Class Warfare by the far-Left.  They don't want Private Schools, because people who can afford to send their kids there are giving them a better education and more oppertunity and that is just wrong.

P.S.  I went to private school and my family couldn't afford it.  My priest payed about half the cost to send me there.

It must be the really far left, because I don't know many liberals who want to ban private schools.

RomneyGekko Situation Hairgel
Flyers2004
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.87

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2004, 02:08:28 pm »
Ignore

It must be the really far left, because I don't know many liberals who want to ban private schools.

Agreed, I went to one.  When public schools fail and your family can afford it, people should have that choice.  

DOUCHEBAGGERY AT ITS FINEST!
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2004, 02:12:17 pm »
Ignore

I also attend a private (Catholic) school. It would be a sad day in America when the far left takes over and bans our private schools. Of course we know that won't happen but its sad to see people actually want to ban a system of education that is doing an excellent job educating students across America.

Never any doubt.
IDS Judicial Overlord John Dibble
John Dibble
YaBB God
Japan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2004, 02:17:30 pm »
Ignore

Private schools are better at educating students for a reason - competition. Since their money comes from consumers rather than the government, they have to do better than public schools and other private schools in order to stay in business. Without a superior product, they would fail on their own.

God I love capitalism.

Brambila
Brambilla
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2004, 02:28:20 pm »
Ignore

John Dibble, I completely agree. I actually think we should abolish public schools, firstly because it costs way too much money, secondly because the government has no right to educate our children, third because more private schools will then be created and they'll do better. Why are all the best schools private? Competition.

However much I love capitalism, I'm starting to gain attraction towards Distributivism...

Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.64

"We could never judge that one thing is better than another if a basic understanding of the good had not already been instilled in us."
-Saint Augustine
Akno21
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2004, 02:32:55 pm »
Ignore

John Dibble, I completely agree. I actually think we should abolish public schools, firstly because it costs way too much money, secondly because the government has no right to educate our children, third because more private schools will then be created and they'll do better. Why are all the best schools private? Competition.

However much I love capitalism, I'm starting to gain attraction towards Distributivism...

Abolish public schools? You have got to be kidding me! How are single-parents who make under $15,000 per year supposed to afford private schooling for their kids?

nclib
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2004, 02:37:58 pm »
Ignore

Although private schools in many cases don't expose children to the diversity found in public schools, I don't think they should be illegal.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2004, 02:41:56 pm by nclib »Logged

[George W. Bush] has shattered the myth of white supremacy once and for all. -- Congressman Charles Rangel (D-NY)

"George Bush supports abstinence. Lucky Laura."
- sign seen at the March for Women's Lives, 4/25/04

Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2004, 02:40:49 pm »
Ignore

BRTD, I think it's now safe to say that only you and Bandit want to abolish private schools.

Never any doubt.
Brambila
Brambilla
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2004, 02:44:55 pm »
Ignore

Abolish public schools? You have got to be kidding me! How are single-parents who make under $15,000 per year supposed to afford private schooling for their kids?

By not having to pay the governmen for education taxes. Also, as public schools are abolished, capitalism will take over, and prices will decrease. Remember, each child in California gets 12k a year for education.

Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.64

"We could never judge that one thing is better than another if a basic understanding of the good had not already been instilled in us."
-Saint Augustine
dazzleman
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2004, 02:50:11 pm »
Ignore

I find it unbelievable that anybody would even think this is a question worth asking.

Government has no right to ban private schools.  Public schools are available, but nobody can be forced to use them if they think they can afford a better alternative.  It would be ridiculous to even consider this proposal.

It's not necessarily true that private schools offer less diversity than public schools.  In my area, there is a great deal of racial separation between municipalities, and the public school systems magnify these differences.  The cities are generally split 1/3 white, 1/3 black and 1/3 latino, but the public school systems in the cities are almost entirely black and latino.  The surrounding towns are almost all 90+% white, with schools systems that reflect this.

Private schools in the area draw from both the cities and the suburban towns, so they are much more diverse than the public schools.  This is the normal situation in the northeast.
IDS Judicial Overlord John Dibble
John Dibble
YaBB God
Japan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2004, 02:56:52 pm »
Ignore

Well, it's my opinion that first we need to return school control to local(county?) government - the higher up the control is the less connected it is to the needs of the community. I also think people should be allowed to select what schools their kids go to, so schools will be competing for funding and will be frugal with their funds, keeping costs down. They county I went to school in devotes most of its time and resources to the schools, and for that reason they have some of the best in the state.

Flyers2004
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2004, 03:11:05 pm »
Ignore

By not having to pay the governmen for education taxes. Also, as public schools are abolished, capitalism will take over, and prices will decrease. Remember, each child in California gets 12k a year for education.

Now you're too far the other way buddy.  Had I lived in suburan Philly, I would have EASILY went to public school.  In fact thinking back, I might have went to a Philly magnet school such as Masterman or Central rather then the all-male North Catholic.  Great school just wished there was @ss!

Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2004, 03:13:24 pm »
Ignore

Now you're too far the other way buddy.  Had I lived in suburan Philly, I would have EASILY went to public school.  In fact thinking back, I might have went to a Philly magnet school such as Masterman or Central rather then the all-male North Catholic.  Great school just wished there was @ss!

Would you ban private schools, Handzus?

Never any doubt.
Flyers2004
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2004, 03:21:28 pm »
Ignore

No I would not ban private schools.  They should be kept open.  I feel in some ways they help raise the bar for public schools.  Parents should have that option.  I do not feel there should be restrictions there for it is parental choice.  Would I ban public schools? No.  

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2004, 03:22:56 pm »
Ignore

Private schools are better at educating students for a reason - competition. Since their money comes from consumers rather than the government, they have to do better than public schools and other private schools in order to stay in business. Without a superior product, they would fail on their own.

God I love capitalism.

There is another reason why private schools tend to do better than public schools, self-selection.  Kids whose parents care about their education do better, no matter what their other circumstances are.  Since public schools are the default choice, they receive all of the kids whose parents don't care about education.  Those who go to private schools have parents who care about the schooling their children receive.  The only way to get rid of the self-selection effect would be to abolish the public schools entirely.

People find meaning and redemption in the most unusual human connections. Khaled Hosseini
Harry
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2004, 03:35:22 pm »
Ignore

Of course they shouldn't be banned, but I really dislike all private schools and would never send a kid of mine to one.
Maybe it's just a Mississippi thing, but all of the private schools here were thrown up once integration began, financed by the Citizen's Council, and attended by children of racist white parents who didn't want their kids to go to school with black people.  Most people at public schools here--even the very conservative ones--hate private schools and want nothing to do with them.

It's always darkest before the dawn.
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
YaBB God
Venezuela

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2004, 04:49:24 pm »
Ignore

Private schools are better at educating students for a reason - competition.

Where's the proof that private schools are better at educating students?

I'm quite familiar with public and private schools. Most of the public schools provided a far better education than what private schools spewed out.

Try this wonderful POPULIST BLOG...

http://onlinelunchpail.blogspot.com
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
YaBB God
Venezuela

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2004, 04:50:53 pm »
Ignore

BRTD, I think it's now safe to say that only you and Bandit want to abolish private schools.

Putting words in my mouth again as usual.

Then again, could you really blame anyone for wanting to ban private schools?

Try this wonderful POPULIST BLOG...

http://onlinelunchpail.blogspot.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout