Popular Initiative Amendment (Passed/Sent to Regions)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:01:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Popular Initiative Amendment (Passed/Sent to Regions)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Popular Initiative Amendment (Passed/Sent to Regions)  (Read 4450 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 18, 2007, 10:53:35 PM »
« edited: September 03, 2007, 11:45:44 AM by Sam Spade »

Popular Initiative Amendment

Article I, Section 3, Clause 5 of the Atlasian Constitution shall be created to read as follows:

Any ordinary citizen of Atlasia may propose legislation for consideration by the Senate. To do so, he must:

(a) create a new thread (entitled with the name of his proposed legislation) containing his proposal;

(b) receive the signitures of 15% of the registered citizens of Atlasia within 28 days of creating the thread.

When these requirements are met and verified by the Secretary of Forum Affairs, the proposal shall be added to the list of legislation to be considered by the Senate. The citizen who creates the thread for the legislation shall be thence considered the sponsor of the legislation.

(Sponsor: Ebowed)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 10:54:55 PM »

Friendly amendment to change spelling of signiture to signature.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 10:55:22 PM »

Senators have 24 hours to object to this friendly amendment.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 07:45:51 AM »

It sounds like a pretty good idea, however, it might be better to just have more senators like myself who take legislation from their constituents.  I do not know why we need a constitutional amendment, why have a senator if they won't propose legislation for you?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 12:32:13 PM »

This proposal was put forward (together with certain other measures) as a method to encourage campaigning and activity beyond the Senate. I'll grant that Senators will generally introduce legislation on behalf of their constituents - and so this is not an essential piece of reform. But that does not mean that it is a worthless effort at reform. I would hope that this could give citizens a greater sense of involvement in the legislative process.

A proposal going to the Senate with the explicit backing of a significant group of citizens would carry a certain weight and would probably garner more significant interest from the general public on the progress of the legislation than would be the case wherein one simply PMs one's Senator with a proposal.

This Senate can certainly be said to preciously regard it's own powers and I would hope that those most seriously concerned with any dilution of those powers will recognise that they will remain in firm control of the legislative process and their votes retain their very significant value. This is simply a right of initiative, a right to be heard.

I would hope that this proposal would mean that citizens can feel that their voices must be heard, not only at election time, but by the Senate in full session, that their views matter and deserve the attention of our government.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 10:00:44 PM »

Personally, I am happy to support and bring to the Senate any good legislation any citizen proposes, whether I support it or not - always have done so.  So, I guess I see no reason for this amendment.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 07:26:30 AM »

I intend to vote against this bill until it is amended to do something that could not be achieved by a citizen asking their senator to sponsor a bill
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 12:21:23 PM »

Senators have 24 hours to object to this friendly amendment.

No one has objected.  The amendment is approved as friendly.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 02:10:50 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2007, 02:12:49 PM by Jas »

OK, having considered and taken into account the comments of Senators Spade and DWTL, and still wanting to find ways to encourage political campainging and activity in Atlasia generally, I would like to hear opinions on the following possible amendment to the proposal.

Article I, Section 3, Clause 5 of the Atlasian Constitution shall be created to read as follows:

Any ordinary citizen of Atlasia may propose legislation for immediate consideration by the Senate. To do so, he must:

(a) create a new thread (entitled with the name of his proposed legislation) containing his proposal;

(b) receive the signitures of 15% of the registered citizens of Atlasia within 28 days of creating the thread.

When these requirements are met and verified by the Secretary of Forum Affairs, the legislation shall be placed before the Senate for its consideration, though only one piece of legislation proposed in this matter shall be considered by the Senate at any one time. The citizen who creates the thread for the legislation shall be thence considered the sponsor of the legislation.

Essentially, legislation proposed by popular initiative would have the benefit of skipping the considerable queue of proposals in the standard list. This would potentially be a significant encouragement for would be legislators knowing that they would not have to wait 4-8 weeks to see their idea hit the floor. The slot for consideration need not impinge upon the current existing slots and so couldn't be used to stall the Senate in it's natural work.

Anyway it's an idea, if one of you think it's a good idea, please do introduce it as an amendment.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 11:08:40 PM »

I intend to vote against this bill until it is amended to do something that could not be achieved by a citizen asking their senator to sponsor a bill

But what if neither of their Senators agree with the bill? Say, for example, a left-winger in the Southeast wants to propose a bill. Obviously, neither their District nor Regional Senator is going to sponsor it because the Southeast is dominated by rightists, but, if this bill or something similar were passed, that person and others who disagree with their Senators on issues would still be able to propose legislation.

(I suppose using a leftist as an example is probably not going to convince you, but what about a social conservative in the Pacific?)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 11:56:39 PM »

But what if neither of their Senators agree with the bill? Say, for example, a left-winger in the Southeast wants to propose a bill. Obviously, neither their District nor Regional Senator is going to sponsor it because the Southeast is dominated by rightists, but, if this bill or something similar were passed, that person and others who disagree with their Senators on issues would still be able to propose legislation.

(I suppose using a leftist as an example is probably not going to convince you, but what about a social conservative in the Pacific?)

Even in that case, aniother Senator is likely to pick it up.  I mean, Ebowed introduced Ernest's bill, despite the fact that the two are on complete opposite sides of the country.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 01:53:33 AM »

Even in that case, aniother Senator is likely to pick it up.  I mean, Ebowed introduced Ernest's bill, despite the fact that the two are on complete opposite sides of the country.

I suppose, but mightn't it be a better idea to allow citizens to introduce bills themselves and allow Senators to just represent their own constituents rather than everyone who shares their ideology across the country?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 07:06:40 AM »

And quite frankly, if I believe the bill is strongly written, I will sponsor it myself.  I have done such things before.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 10:49:23 AM »

OK, having considered and taken into account the comments of Senators Spade and DWTL, and still wanting to find ways to encourage political campainging and activity in Atlasia generally, I would like to hear opinions on the following possible amendment to the proposal.

Any ordinary citizen of Atlasia may propose legislation for immediate consideration by the Senate. To do so, he must:

When these requirements are met and verified by the Secretary of Forum Affairs, the legislation shall be placed before the Senate for its consideration, though only one piece of legislation proposed in this matter shall be considered by the Senate at any one time. The citizen who creates the thread for the legislation shall be thence considered the sponsor of the legislation.

Essentially, legislation proposed by popular initiative would have the benefit of skipping the considerable queue of proposals in the standard list. This would potentially be a significant encouragement for would be legislators knowing that they would not have to wait 4-8 weeks to see their idea hit the floor. The slot for consideration need not impinge upon the current existing slots and so couldn't be used to stall the Senate in it's natural work.

Anyway it's an idea, if one of you think it's a good idea, please do introduce it as an amendment.

Any thoughts?
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 09:57:53 PM »

Skipping the list does make this something and worth considering. Still not sure if it is a good idea or not though.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 06:29:01 PM »

I'll introduce it.  Motion to strike text and replace with:

(b) receive the signatures of 15% of the registered citizens of Atlasia within 28 days of creating the thread.

Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2007, 08:39:38 AM »

Thanks Smiley
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2007, 08:36:41 AM »

Voting is now open on the following amendment:

(b) receive the signatures of 15% of the registered citizens of Atlasia within 28 days of creating the thread.

Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2007, 12:03:13 PM »

Aye.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2007, 12:44:50 PM »

Aye