Redistricting...Ireland?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:56:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Redistricting...Ireland?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Redistricting...Ireland?  (Read 16555 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2007, 02:18:53 PM »

BUMP

Don't wish all my good work to be ignored and go to waste. I'll finish the rest of the Analysis over the week; about half of it left to do now.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2007, 09:40:35 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2007, 03:52:46 PM by Gully Foyle »

BUMP to Include City of Limerick, Munster completed now.

City of Limerick:
Constituency includes the City of Limerick, Mungret, Castletroy, Various inner and semi-Outer suburbs, most of the rest of County Limerick not included in "Limerick Outer" except for the area around Castleconnell and the Shannon Basin which will go into another constituency.

The City of Limerick has something of a bad reputation in Ireland to put it mildly, anyone who read or seen Frank McCourt's Angela's Ashes would be aware of why so, or of the moniker "stab city" which the place has been given. Unsurprising in an area known for Unemployment, emigration and high rates of crime. And even today with the Celtic Tiger this remains very true as one could see in recent news reports about local redevelopment in some of the council-style estates in the entire republic. Areas such as these tend to be populist-Labour related strongholds and the City does have a nationalist history aswell; playing it's role in the war of independence first as a IRA stronghold and then there was the Limerick Soviet and supporting the illregular IRA in the Civil war which suggest a long history of left-wing nationalism and radicalism. Yet Limerick City despite it's time is not just the city and features some of wealthy and leafy areas on it's outskirts - places like Castletroy which was once a stronghold of the Progressive Democrats though the absence of the region around Castleconnell into Lower Shannonside deprives them of a major part of a liberal Conservative base. Alot would depend on Turnout. Though Limerick East (which admittely is somewhat of a different constituency) does not seem to have a lower-than-usual turnout - it's hard to see the votes in this hypothetical not divided by class, though in saying that for one of the more class-divided parts of Ireland it rarely ever votes that way in the Republic. Though even by Irish standards Limerick politicians can be slightly, well, chalemonic with their politics. (Though the relative weakness of Unions may also be a factor; certainly in suppressing any potential Labour vote).. Leans Clann na nGael.

Winner of the 2005 General Election: Jan O'Sullivan (Clann na nGael)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2007, 08:09:26 AM »

Bumpity Bump. I'm going to try and get this running again pretty soon. Plus I now have additional access to more demographic data. (Not online sadly Sad )
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2007, 08:15:30 AM »

Tis a good day! I hope afleitch can continue to make his map based on your constituencies Smiley
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2007, 11:35:34 AM »

Plus I now have additional access to more demographic data. (Not online sadly Sad )

Dare one ask the source?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2007, 11:37:04 AM »

Plus I now have additional access to more demographic data. (Not online sadly Sad )

Dare one ask the source?

Aye; NUIM college library.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2007, 12:19:54 PM »

Tis a good day! I hope afleitch can continue to make his map based on your constituencies Smiley

I hope so given that I am the suckage with map drawing and computer appliances in general. Sad

Btw with this new data I've realized some of these constituencies are a bit off.. to say the least. Ah well. I tried; sadly the county boundaries really don't fit into 60,000 electoral seats. Especially given that Ireland gives out it's seats by population not electorate (In Electorate terms, Dublin West and North are somewhat overrepresented in the Current Arrangements.)
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2008, 06:55:12 AM »

Bump.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2008, 08:14:36 AM »

May I ask why? I really don't have the time to do this now. (Actually I will from 2nd May onwards have very little access to the internets)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies