States that are NOT up for grabs in '08, under any circumstances.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:34:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  States that are NOT up for grabs in '08, under any circumstances.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: States that are NOT up for grabs in '08, under any circumstances.  (Read 4747 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2007, 02:45:47 PM »

^^^^
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2007, 02:55:23 PM »

you have some kind of weird fetish for Democrats failing in Mississippi
nlm
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2007, 03:03:30 PM »

I'm a believer in "never say never" - but Utah will not go to the Dems any time soon - but there are always strange things that can happen (dead girls, live boys - you know the drill).
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2007, 03:54:42 PM »

you have some kind of weird fetish for Democrats failing in Mississippi

You have some kind of weird fetish for acting like you have never been to your home state.
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2007, 05:38:07 PM »

Yes, Texas is Democratic proof.  Dems haven't won a statewide office since 95 and a lib like Edwards (running as he is way to the left BTW) would get creamed as would Obama.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2007, 06:18:12 PM »

Safe Republican:

Idaho
Utah
Alabama
Mississippi

Hillary leads Romney 48-46 in Alabama. Mississippi could be even worse for Romney.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2007, 07:11:00 PM »

Maybe he has a fetish for the truth.
poughies
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2007, 07:59:32 PM »

haha
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2007, 08:14:01 PM »

Wow, I'm suprised only one person has Oklahoma safe GOP.  I agree that Oklahoma is 96% sure of going Republican.  The only thing that will shake her up would be a Richardson vs. Romney matchup.  Oklahoma is 100% Hillary proof, 100% Obama proof, about 90% Edwards proof, and about 50% Richardson proof.  I still don't see it as big a win as 2004.  I see a 55-44 victory for the GOP with Oklahoma City being a city that possibly goes ever-so-slightly blue.  We'll wait and see.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2007, 03:00:50 PM »

Wow, I'm suprised only one person has Oklahoma safe GOP.  I agree that Oklahoma is 96% sure of going Republican.  The only thing that will shake her up would be a Richardson vs. Romney matchup.  Oklahoma is 100% Hillary proof, 100% Obama proof, about 90% Edwards proof, and about 50% Richardson proof.  I still don't see it as big a win as 2004.  I see a 55-44 victory for the GOP with Oklahoma City being a city that possibly goes ever-so-slightly blue.  We'll wait and see.

Thanks for pointing out my inadvertant oversight.  I fully believe OK is safe for the GOP in 2008 no matter what.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2007, 04:57:18 PM »

Thanks for pointing out my inadvertant oversight.  I fully believe OK is safe for the GOP in 2008 no matter what.

You're probably right.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2007, 10:39:09 PM »

I agree with Harry on Mississippi. Mainly because it seems like GA and SC are trending Republican faster than MS is. MS does have alot of African-americans. I think the governor's race could be interesting given it's the first one since Katrina hit...I don't know the current approval ratings of Barbour, but he would probably win in the end.

Also, the fastest growing areas in Georga are becoming more Republican. I honestly would not be surprised if a Republican candidate broke 60% even if the Dems win nationally, whereas in MS, the GOP maxes out at around 60% just because of the large numbers of blacks.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2007, 12:32:06 AM »

very few states are locks at this point, especially if you say 'under ANY circumstances'

republican=ut, id, ne, ks, ok, ms, al, sc

Safe Republican:

Idaho
Utah
Alabama
Mississippi

I notice you both left Wyoming off your lists. I know its strongly GOP, but did you intentionally leave it off (meaning you think there's an outside chance it could go Dem) or did you just forget to include it?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2007, 11:31:26 AM »

I agree with Harry on Mississippi. Mainly because it seems like GA and SC are trending Republican faster than MS is. MS does have alot of African-americans. I think the governor's race could be interesting given it's the first one since Katrina hit...I don't know the current approval ratings of Barbour, but he would probably win in the end.

Also, the fastest growing areas in Georga are becoming more Republican. I honestly would not be surprised if a Republican candidate broke 60% even if the Dems win nationally, whereas in MS, the GOP maxes out at around 60% just because of the large numbers of blacks.

Yes.  Not only that, MS will start noticably trending Dem in the next 15-20 years.  Although Bush nearly broke 60% in the state, Kerry got more than 60% of the under 30's in Mississippi...now we just have to hope that they don't move away.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2007, 11:53:17 AM »
« Edited: August 24, 2007, 10:38:58 PM by auburntiger »

Maybe...Mississippi will likely stay where it is in the 15-19% margin of victory for Republicans. It probably won't get any closer than that in 2008. However, if there is heavy black turnout, and I mean HEAVY...65%+ due to Obama, then maybe MS could fall in between the 8-12% range for a Republican. As mentioned on another thread a while ago, It really is a shame that just by looking at a Mississippian, you have a 99% chance of guessing correctly which candidate they'll be voting for.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2007, 10:33:16 PM »

Wow, are we seriously arguing which state is more Democratic out of these three states? You might as well be arguing who is more useful to society; Lindsey Lohan, Paris Hilton or Brittany Spears. AL, SC, and GA are all pathetically uber-conservative just like the three losers mentioned above are all worthless to society.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2007, 10:36:38 PM »

Under ANY circumstances?

D.C. is honestly the only place I would be willing to say is not up for grabs under any circumstance.

Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and maybe Massachusetts under the vast majority of circumstances.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2007, 08:48:44 AM »

Wow, are we seriously arguing which state is more Democratic out of these three states? You might as well be arguing who is more useful to society; Lindsey Lohan, Paris Hilton or Brittany Spears. AL, SC, and GA are all pathetically uber-conservative just like the three losers mentioned above are all worthless to society.

Are you saying that because AL, SC, GA, and MS are ultra-conservative, they are worthless to society?  I'm conservative, yet I don't call VT, MA, RI, and CA four ultra-liberal states worthless to society.

You probably think Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, and the Dakotas, since they are or are perceived as ultra-conservative, are worthless.

I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to discover the basis for your false statements.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2007, 01:06:05 PM »

Are you saying that because AL, SC, GA, and MS are ultra-conservative, they are worthless to society?  I'm conservative, yet I don't call VT, MA, RI, and CA four ultra-liberal states worthless to society.

You probably think Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, and the Dakotas, since they are or are perceived as ultra-conservative, are worthless.

I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to discover the basis for your false statements.

Where did I call those states worthless to society? I said Lohan etc were worthless. The only thing I said about those states was that they were extremely conservative and thus it's pointless to argue which state is more democratic between them. Please attempt to comprehend my post in the future.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2007, 02:34:50 PM »

Where did I call those states worthless to society? I said Lohan etc were worthless. The only thing I said about those states was that they were extremely conservative and thus it's pointless to argue which state is more democratic between them. Please attempt to comprehend my post in the future.

My bad, I thought you were referring to the celebs AND the states.  Please accept my apology.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies