Insulted by someone for being too smart?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:28:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Insulted by someone for being too smart?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Insulted by someone for being too smart?  (Read 2463 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 21, 2007, 09:11:11 PM »

I had a one minute conversation with a guy who is about 10 years older than me, and I know for a fact he doesn't have a good job and lives with his cousin. However, he is still a nice guy. I had a quick conversation with him and wished him a happy birthday. I find out later he told someone I sound like I'm "40 years old".

I find that insulting. It seems these days that if you speak correctly and are atleast smarter than the average joe, people find you strange or "too old". This seems to especially hurt with women.

Any thoughts?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 09:20:44 PM »

I'm twice as smart as you ever thought about being.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 09:23:26 PM »

I'm twice as smart as you ever thought about being.

You must sound like an 80 year old then! Tongue
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 09:35:21 PM »

I think you are misunderstanding his comment.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 10:02:19 PM »

Naso, I think that has more to do with that fact that you sound like you are 40 years old.  Hardcore conservative with nightly news anchor's voice that enjoys the 80s. 

Yeah, that's pretty much 40 year olds these days.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 10:08:27 PM »

I had a one minute conversation with a guy who is about 10 years older than me, and I know for a fact he doesn't have a good job and lives with his cousin. However, he is still a nice guy. I had a quick conversation with him and wished him a happy birthday. I find out later he told someone I sound like I'm "40 years old".

I find that insulting. It seems these days that if you speak correctly and are atleast smarter than the average joe, people find you strange or "too old". This seems to especially hurt with women.

Any thoughts?

Well, if I was a woman and I had a choice between a ripped surfer guy that said something to the tune of "MEAT!  ME LIKE MEAT!  LET ME MAKE YOUR BABIES"

and a redhead with strong political opinions that said something like "here, let me interpret the infant mortality rate of sub-Saharan Africa in the 1970s for you." 

I'd probably choose the meat head.

But I know what you mean.  Unfortunately, this type of thing occurred a lot in the last presidential election, and it seemed to be your side that was bashing the "intellectual elitists."  Kind of the "I don't read... I don't need to be smart... but I can kick your ass... yeehaw.. George Dubya Bush!  YEAH!" attitude... really irritates me.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 10:10:54 PM »

Maybe it was a joke, or he could have been complementing you.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 10:15:10 PM »

Naso, I think that has more to do with that fact that you sound like you are 40 years old.  Hardcore conservative with nightly news anchor's voice that enjoys the 80s. 

News anchor voice? 40 years old? I'm 18 years old!
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 10:19:31 PM »

I know you are 18, but you sound very... 40ish.  You aren't the stereotypical 18 year old.  That is probably why he called you 40.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 10:21:16 PM »

I know you are 18, but you sound very... 40ish.  You aren't the stereotypical 18 year old.  That is probably why he called you 40.

Isn't it better to be mature than immature...for the future and stuff?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 10:25:07 PM »

Isn't it better to be mature than immature...for the future and stuff?

I wouldn't say you are more mature than other 18 year olds; you just have a different personality.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 11:00:17 PM »

I somehow don't think that his comment had anything to do with your intelligence or maturity.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 11:09:07 PM »

I just rub off something that I can't figure out what it is.

I mean, I'll talk to girls...and they like me...they think at the least I'm "cute" and it's not as if I start talking events or weather with them...I try to fit in...but they just don't latch on. They would rather go with the rough guy who has been in trouble with the cops than the nice guy who is intelligent yet knows how to have fun.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 12:19:54 AM »

This seems to especially hurt with women.

Trust me - this is the least of your women problems - and you have many Tongue jk

My dad was telling me a story along the same topical lines - at work there's this guy with a great vocabulary and he uses a variety of bigger, less common, well-chosen, precise words while talking to people who report to him - some of which complain that he "talks down to them" and my dad talked w/ him and said, I know you're not talking down to your employees - I've seen you work for years and never witnessed that, but you may have to tone down your vocabulary for some people if it confuses them - this is a BUSINESS - people should be able to be professional and use their vast vocabulary!

Done Ranting.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 01:52:01 AM »

I was once called 'poindexter' by a redneck passing in a loud old car.. however in fairness I was wearing a bow tie.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 01:53:23 AM »

I was once called 'poindexter' by a redneck passing in a loud old car.. however in fairness I was wearing a bow tie.

Why would you dress up? You don't seem like the type.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 01:57:55 AM »

Why would you dress up? You don't seem like the type.

I think I was at most 20 years old at the time.. it was the late 1980's.  Different times.  But back in the early eighties I wore suits to school.. kind of a New Wave thing I guess.  A way to tempt fate at my high school, believe me.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 10:16:57 AM »

This seems to especially hurt with women.

Trust me - this is the least of your women problems - and you have many Tongue jk

Such as?
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 03:05:35 PM »

This happens to me all of the time. I get likened to a robot because of certain skills I have.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 03:08:21 PM »

There was this girl I went out with for three whole days. I knew it was over when she asked me what kinds of TV shows I watched, I said the news, she said cartoons.  She was 15...I was 16.

Don't knock cartoons; they're the only thing I ever find on TV worth watching. Tongue
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2007, 04:57:08 PM »

naso has a news anchor voice?

have you had voice lessons, naso?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2007, 06:27:02 PM »

And so it goes full circle.  This comment was just a cover up for Naso and his issues with women.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2007, 06:45:53 PM »

My dad was telling me a story along the same topical lines - at work there's this guy with a great vocabulary and he uses a variety of bigger, less common, well-chosen, precise words while talking to people who report to him - some of which complain that he "talks down to them" and my dad talked w/ him and said, I know you're not talking down to your employees - I've seen you work for years and never witnessed that, but you may have to tone down your vocabulary for some people if it confuses them - this is a BUSINESS - people should be able to be professional and use their vast vocabulary!

I resemble that remark.  Wink

Though what it seems to me is that a) you are way too serious for your own good.    If you stay wound that tightly you'll likely have a nervous breakdown and/or a cardiac arrest before you reach 40; and b) you seem to spend too much time trying to emulate various right wing talk show hosts and pundits.    And just so you know - Television 'debate' shows possess about as much semblance to actual debate as pro wrestling does to Olympic wrestling.   Think of how much appeal a hot blond possessed by the spawn of Satan (aka Ann Coulter) has to the average person and consider that you might want a somewhat wider appeal.

I could quote Bill Shatner, but I've been cruel enough.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2007, 06:51:55 PM »

There was this girl I went out with for three whole days. I knew it was over when she asked me what kinds of TV shows I watched, I said the news, she said cartoons.  She was 15...I was 16.

Don't knock cartoons; they're the only thing I ever find on TV worth watching. Tongue
A lot of the time, that's true.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2007, 07:13:39 PM »

A lot of the time, that's true.
I agree.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies