AZ-Rocky Mountain Poll: Gov. Napolitano (D) would defeat Sen. John McCain (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:51:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AZ-Rocky Mountain Poll: Gov. Napolitano (D) would defeat Sen. John McCain (R)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AZ-Rocky Mountain Poll: Gov. Napolitano (D) would defeat Sen. John McCain (R)  (Read 1791 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 22, 2007, 01:14:44 AM »

New poll finds Napolitano would best McCain in Senate race

Associated Press
Aug. 21, 2007 11:52 AM
Gov. Janet Napolitano would beat Sen. John McCain if the two went head-to-head in an election, according to a new poll.

The Rocky Mountain Poll of 629 voters across the state also finds the Democratic governor is the most popular statewide elected official. She was ranked as doing an excellent or good job by 59 percent of those asked, and only nine percent gave her a poor or very poor rating. That's the lowest negative rating for Napolitano since she took office in 2003.

The poll found that 76 percent of Democrats think she's doing an excellent or good job, while 51 percent of independents and 41 percent of Republicans give her that ranking.

In a hypothetical head-to-head race for McCain's Senate seat, 47 percent of those polled would vote for Napolitano, 36 percent for the sitting Republican senator, and 17 percent were undecided.

The poll, conducted by the Behavior Research Center of Arizona, was conducted between July 27 and Aug. 4 and has a margin of error of 3.9 percent.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0821napolitano-mccain0821-ON.html
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 01:16:53 AM »

Wow. That is pretty hilarious.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0821napolitano-mccain0821-ON.html
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 08:48:06 AM »

I've always assumed that McCain would retire in 2010, but I could be wrong. It makes sense for Napolitano to run either way (as it does for Sebelius in Kansas).
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 12:07:08 PM »

I have merged the two threads discussing this poll together.

Even though this polling company's reputation approaches that of the Star-Tribune, I am personally not surprised.  McCain has been taking such a beating among Republicans (and others too) since this 2008 primary began that a decline in support for a potential re-election makes total sense.  I too suspect he'll retire in 2010 myself.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 12:31:48 PM »

Even though this polling company's reputation approaches that of the Star-Tribune, I am personally not surprised.  McCain has been taking such a beating among Republicans (and others too) since this 2008 primary began that a decline in support for a potential re-election makes total sense.  I too suspect he'll retire in 2010 myself.

Napolitano is also a strong opponent of amnesty, which allows her to use the issue as a wedge to draw conservative voters. (CARLHAYDEN loves her.)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 04:34:41 PM »

Ha ha, as if a tanking presidential campaign wasn't embarrassing enough for him...
Downwinder

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 11:09:09 PM »

IF the poll is credible, it wouldn't surprise me a bit.  The curtain has been pulled back on John "Maverick" McCain.  I suspect he retires before his term ends--after his presidential ambitions are finally quashed.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 09:09:27 PM »

Ha ha, as if a tanking presidential campaign wasn't embarrassing enough for him...

Ouch. Yeah, totally embarrassing. In 2004 he got what, 74%. And now his reelection is not a sure thing.
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 01:03:11 AM »

Napolitano is also a strong opponent of amnesty, which allows her to use the issue as a wedge to draw conservative voters. (CARLHAYDEN loves her.)

I thought she was for amnesty?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 03:05:07 AM »

Gee...poor McCain, went from maverick to Bush zombie in less than 30 months.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 04:01:17 PM »

This doesn't mean much.  First of all, McCain isn't up for reelection until 2010.  3 years is a long time, Napolitano could scew it all up.  Second, McCain might retire if he isn't elected President.  He is getting a little old, after all.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies