Texas gets ready for 400th execution, EU demands abolition
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:52:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Texas gets ready for 400th execution, EU demands abolition
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Texas gets ready for 400th execution, EU demands abolition  (Read 2561 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 22, 2007, 03:30:54 AM »

Texas rejects EU executions plea

Texas has told the European Union to mind its own business after the bloc called on the state's governor to get rid of the death penalty.

The EU expressed "great regret" at Texas' preparations to carry out its 400th death penalty and renewed its call to the US to halt executions.

Johnny Ray Conner, 32, will be executed on Wednesday for the 1998 fatal shooting of a grocery store clerk.

But Governor Rick Perry insisted it was a "just and appropriate" punishment.

He was responding robustly to the EU's denunciation of judicial killings as "cruel and inhumane".

The statement from the Portuguese presidency of the 27-nation bloc said: "The European Union strongly urges Governor Rick Perry to exercise all powers vested in his office to halt all upcoming executions and to consider the introduction of a moratorium in the state of Texas."

It continued: "There is no evidence to suggest that the use of the death penalty serves as a deterrent against violent crime and the irreversibility of the punishment means that miscarriages of justice, which are inevitable in all legal systems, cannot be redressed."

But Robert Black, a spokesman for the Texas governor, told the BBC News website: "Two hundred and thirty years ago, our forefathers fought a war to throw off the yoke of a European monarch and gain the freedom of self-determination.

"Texans long ago decided the death penalty is a just and appropriate punishment for the most horrible crimes committed against our citizens.

"While we respect our friends in Europe ... Texans are doing just fine governing Texas."

According to the Washington-based Death Penalty Information Center, 1,090 executions have taken place in the US since the Supreme Court lifted a ban on capital punishment in 1976.

Texas has carried out more than a third of those.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6957390.stm
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 06:44:33 AM »

Sometimes you have to take out the trash.  I'm sorry the EU doesn't see that.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 08:25:01 AM »

^^^^^^^
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 08:34:07 AM »

If we outlawed the death penalty, we would have to do it in back alleys with coat hangers. It's the state's  right to choose and we should keep our laws off the state! Tongue
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 09:00:05 AM »

I oppose the death penalty, but I'm minded to tell the EU to mind its own business

Dave
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 09:08:06 AM »

I oppose the death penalty, but I'm minded to tell the EU to mind its own business

Dave
You're pro-life? I am too on this issue.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 10:11:50 AM »

Dave
You're pro-life? I am too on this issue.

Yes, for the most part I'm pro-life; though I accept it necessary in the instance of rape and should it be necessary to save the life of the mother. The whole idea of women being able to get an abortion as of choice, as though it's some form of belated birth control,  is reprehensible

Abortion as an issue carries scarce saliency in the UK. It came up once while out stomping for Roberta Blackman-Woods (Labour, City of Durham) in 2005. That doesn't mean to say that I doubt many people don't have feelings on the issue

I once had a rather heated exchange with a female political associate on the subject. She was being highly critical of public money being spent on fertility treatment for childless couples, which I support, more or less, arguing that it was nature's will that they are childless; yet she was pro-choice. Is it not nature's will, for the most part, that women become pregnant in the first place, unless against their will or unless contraceptive steps have been taken to prevent pregnancy?

My church attending mother, however, favours the death penalty and is less restrictive on abortion rights than what I am

Dave
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 10:49:02 AM »

The EU needs to stay out of United States internal affairs.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 11:01:04 AM »

The US should then demand that the EU allow the death penalty. But that probably wouldn't go over well since the US shouldn't "tell other countries what to do".

Either way we should just stop saying the death penalty is a deterent. While it is for some, for the most part it isn't. It's just a way to get rid of the trash as was said earlier in this thread.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 12:19:35 PM »

The US should then demand that the EU allow the death penalty.

It's not demanding that your state (or mine) have it.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 02:38:06 PM »

I think using the word demand in the title of this thread is a little unfair to the EU, considering the use of the more diplomatic word, 'urge', in the statement.

Nor do I think the EU are out of line to comment when they feel that a serious breach of human rights is being committed. (Though obviously they are well aware of the likely response.)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 04:03:47 PM »

I didn't know you were suicidal. Wink
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 04:10:24 PM »

Dear EU

Get lost!

Sincerely
Tex
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 04:15:33 PM »

Listen, guys.  When Europe lectures others on the subject of human rights abuses, y'all better listen.  They're a true paragon of virtue in this regard.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 04:27:17 PM »

Listen, guys.  When Europe lectures others on the subject of human rights abuses, y'all better listen.  They're a true paragon of virtue in this regard.

by that logic, we're all slaveowners
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 04:29:45 PM »

You mean you aren't?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 04:36:33 PM »

How did you find out about my operation?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 04:44:09 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2007, 04:48:25 PM by jmfcst »

The EU demands abolition?

Well, now that's a bit of a problem.  See, word has it that the Britons have already thrown off the yoke of the EU.  And if those philosophers and boy-lovers can find that kind of courage...and, of course, we Texans have our reputation to consider.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 04:59:27 PM »

Well, now that's a bit of a problem.  See, word has it that the Britons have already thrown off the yoke of the EU.  And if those philosophers and boy-lovers can find that kind of courage...and, of course, we Texans have our reputation to consider.

Last time I checked we are still in the EU and our PM has again said no to a referendum on the EU constitution. So we've thrown off nothing Smiley And please, don't throw metaphorical eggs at the British.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 05:19:08 PM »

our PM has again said no to a referendum on the EU constitution. So we've thrown off nothing Smiley

sounds a lot like Massachusetts

---

You must be logged in to read this quote.

why would I throw eggs at a bunch of cockless rosters afraid of their own chicks?  Now, i did notice English chicks certainly weren't the cutest, but all the non-Anglo girls with British accents were pretty  darn nice-looking.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2007, 05:50:38 PM »

"While we respect our friends in Europe ... Texans are doing just fine governing Texas."
Um... no. No they aren't.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2007, 05:57:12 PM »

Perhaps those societies that committed the worst atrocities in human history and which have since repented are in an unusually good position to comment on human rights abuses.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2007, 06:03:49 PM »

I didn't know you were suicidal. Wink

Well, I do share my thoughts on here, so that at least makes me masochistic. 
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2007, 06:16:48 PM »

gee, we never lecture other nations on their behavior.... </sarcasm>

Does the EU also condemn China for it's widespread executions?
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2007, 07:18:31 PM »

Ah yes, Europe the place which enslaved a large chunk of the planet, did the holocaust, did the crusades, killed countless millions in the name of Christ, had feudalism, had an endless history of pogroms and now won't even give ANY of their muslims a chance to integrate(Yes I know digesting muslims is hard but America manages it more successfully than the euros). Yes we should all listen to what Europe has to say on human rights.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies