Question for the suburb lovers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:58:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Question for the suburb lovers
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Where would you rather live?
The neighborhood in Newburgh

Manhattan

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 10

Author Topic: Question for the suburb lovers  (Read 833 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 25, 2007, 02:58:17 PM »

The building in this now infamous picture:

is technically located in a suburb, Newburgh, NY. Of course Newburgh is hardly suburban demographically, but it is located in the outer NYC metro. Now say you were given a choice of living in the same neighborhood as that place, or a nice condo in upscale Manhattan.

Of course, in Newburgh, you'd still have more living space, it'd be much less crowded and not as hectic, all the things that suburb lovers constantly say makes living in a sterile wasteland as suburbs are worth it. Whereareas in the other location, you're living in the epitome of overcrowded. So given this choice do you go with more living space or not?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 03:00:13 PM »

Given that people who like living in suburbs generally like it because of what they perceive as an increased quality of living that suburbs bring, this is kind of a stupid question, to say the least.  They aren't just going "oh boy, a suburb, my favorite!"
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 03:03:29 PM »

Given that people who like living in suburbs generally like it because of what they perceive as an increased quality of living that suburbs bring, this is kind of a stupid question, to say the least.  They aren't just going "oh boy, a suburb, my favorite!"

But the reason you gave is that you hate living around endless pavement and tall buildings. Guess what? There's LOADS of that in NYC and probably not so much in Newburgh. So anywhere in Newburgh is better by your standards.

(I also don't understand why you don't like that, I love tall buildings, but whatever.)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 03:30:21 PM »

But the reason you gave is that you hate living around endless pavement and tall buildings. Guess what? There's LOADS of that in NYC and probably not so much in Newburgh. So anywhere in Newburgh is better by your standards.

(I also don't understand why you don't like that, I love tall buildings, but whatever.)

I also like living in a place that is clean, scenic, and tasteful, among other qualities that Newburgh seems to have none of.

I don't get it.  Why are you always trying to play "gotcha" with people who prefer to live in suburbs by trying to give them a ridiculously goofy choice that would never come up in reality?  Are you expecting people to go "oh, you're right, I guess I'll hate suburbs from now on"?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 03:34:10 PM »

I also like living in a place that is clean, scenic, and tasteful, among other qualities that Newburgh seems to have none of.

I don't get it.  Why are you always trying to play "gotcha" with people who prefer to live in suburbs by trying to give them a ridiculously goofy choice that would never come up in reality?  Are you expecting people to go "oh, you're right, I guess I'll hate suburbs from now on"?

I'm making the point that even by your standards the suburbs are not always the best places to live. So you are admitting in this case there's a scenario where you'd be prefer an urban area?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 03:38:30 PM »

I'm making the point that even by your standards the suburbs are not always the best places to live. So you are admitting in this case there's a scenario where you'd be prefer an urban area?

I define what I'm looking for and then decide what area has the largest amount of the qualities that I'm looking for... kind of like how all rational people operate.  I have no attachment to suburbs beyond the fact that most of them better fulfill what I'm looking for than urban areas.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 03:42:09 PM »

I define what I'm looking for and then decide what area has the largest amount of the qualities that I'm looking for... kind of like how all rational people operate.  I have no attachment to suburbs beyond the fact that most of them better fulfill what I'm looking for than urban areas.

So I'm not rational? Because that's what I do too.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 03:46:21 PM »

So I'm not rational? Because that's what I do too.

I didn't say anything about you.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies