The Best Generation of last 100 years? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:34:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Best Generation of last 100 years? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: The Best Generation of last 100 years?
The G.I. Generation: 1900-1925

The Silent Generation: 1925-1945

The Baby Boomers: 1945-1961

Generation X: 1961-1981

Generation Y: 1981-2001

New Silent Generation: 2001-

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: The Best Generation of last 100 years?  (Read 3434 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: August 22, 2007, 07:50:37 PM »

Discuss.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 12:11:51 AM »

Also interesting to note...as of 2007...the "Silent Generation" never had a President. Carter and Bush 41 were born in 1924, and Clinton and GWB were born in 1946.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 01:59:30 AM »
« Edited: August 23, 2007, 02:01:50 AM by Buckeye Mike »

Brief Summary of these Generations from what I gathered:

G.I. Generation (1900-1925)
The generation which saw war at it's worst...many would fight not only WWI but some would go on to fight WWII. Also saw the worst of the Great Depression and grew up as the "we never had carrots when we were your age" types who made sure their children (The Silent Generation) grew up listening to their parents and not saying one word back.

Silent Generation (1925-1945)
This generation was always cautious, eager to go from early life to elderly life, mostly too young for war (except Korea in some cases) and too old for the hippie counter-culture. Raised in a time of war and depression, they look to FDR, Truman and JFK as their political heroes of the day. If their parents told them to do something they did it or got smacked for not listening. They did what they were told in dire times and never said boo about it...they were silent.

Baby Boomers (1945-1961)
Born after war during a time of peace and optimistic time in America, they were raised in the easy days of the 50's to parents who tried best to keep them away from the fear of war and depression they were raised during. Some ended up in Vietnam, some ended up at Woodstock. They waited much longer to have children and ended up having children atleast 10 years later than normal and in some cases over a few different marriages...which in some cases resulted in siblings up to 20 years older than one and other from the same parent. Reaching retirement age in the 2010's.

Generation X (1961-1981)
The most unlikely of all 20th Century Generations...the kids after the Baby Boomers but before the Baby Boomer's kids. They grew into adulthood in the late 80's, early 90's and reached college age around 1992-1995. Their children are being born into the "New Silent Generation".

Generation Y or "Internet Generation" (1981-2001)
The baby boomer's children who grew up during generally peaceful and uneventful times with technology at their fingertips. Reaching adulthood in the 2000's.

The New Silent Generation (2001-)
The generation growing up into a world post September 11th and post-internet technology. Being born into a world of futuristic techonology and war, they may remain just as silent as their great-grandparents did back 60 years before them. 
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 06:06:23 AM »

It makes me a little upset to see so many people act so scared when it comes to war. No doubt war is a painful thing, but I don't count those who fought in Vietnam "kids getting sent to Vietnam to fight against a strange enemy"...I count them as "heroes who went to Vietnam to fight for their country."

By the way...the wimps won by not letting us win in Vietnam. We can't let the wimps with no guts make us lose in Iraq. I'll take Rambo over Easy Rider anyday.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 04:11:27 PM »

I don't count those who fought in Vietnam "kids getting sent to Vietnam to fight against a strange enemy"...I count them as "heroes who went to Vietnam to fight for their country."

And what exactly were they fighting for in the name of their country?

Peace.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 05:32:43 PM »

I don't count those who fought in Vietnam "kids getting sent to Vietnam to fight against a strange enemy"...I count them as "heroes who went to Vietnam to fight for their country."

Peace.

In what way?

If you kill enough people, you get world peace.

Wrong. If you want peace badly enough, sometimes you have to fight for it. 60 years ago, Japan had just been terribly bombed with nuclear weapons and had surrendered to the USA.  Today, they are friends and allies and some of the most brilliant minds in the world. We fought...we won...and we have peace. It can only be achieved through strength...the liberal way of thinking "playing nice" achieves peace is useless. It never works.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 05:38:24 PM »

Peace.

In what way?

If you kill enough people, you get world peace.

Wrong. If you want peace badly enough, sometimes you have to fight for it. 60 years ago, Japan had just been terribly bombed with nuclear weapons and had surrendered to the USA.  Today, they are friends and allies and some of the most brilliant minds in the world. We fought...we won...and we have peace. It can only be achieved through strength...the liberal way of thinking "playing nice" achieves peace is useless. It never works.

We're not talking about Japan, Naso. We're talking about Vietnam.

What was worth fighting for in Vietnam?

Peace. We could have won...but we made big mistakes. Johnson's not wanting to drop bombs over North Vietnam...probably the biggest mistake of them all. That allowed the Vietcong to build up and by the time we got there...they were massive. But still, we gave up. Not only in Vietnam, but at home. When our soldiers came on...many people spit on them at airports...called them killers...and the saddest part is...some of these people are now in Congress....some of them have even been President.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies