Downhill Skiing
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:21:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Downhill Skiing
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Downhill Skiing  (Read 1350 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 02, 2007, 11:21:08 PM »

Does anybody here do it?

I love skiing, but I haven't had time the past couple years.  I went a bunch of times in 04/05 when we had really good snow and I went in Austria in 05/06 and a couple times here.

I'm hoping to get out to Lake Tahoe this winter with my brother to ski.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 11:26:12 PM »

Every winter + snowboarding. The next ski resort is 5 miles away ... Wink
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 11:27:07 PM »

Does anybody here do it?

I love skiing, but I haven't had time the past couple years.  I went a bunch of times in 04/05 when we had really good snow and I went in Austria in 05/06 and a couple times here.

I'm hoping to get out to Lake Tahoe this winter with my brother to ski.
I go to Alberta and BC every spring break to go to the Banff National Park area and thereabouts. Great skiing even that late in the season, great people, and even living here in Florida, I've managed to get pretty good over the years.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 11:29:34 PM »

every other year.  i went to tahoe this last winter.  great skiing!
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 11:38:39 PM »

For all the oppurtunities (basically every Friday in winter time since 5th grade) I've never gone.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 12:04:29 AM »

I was going every saturday to Crystal for about three years or so. Last year I only made it up about 3 or so times (but we had AMAZING snow last year so it was great).

Hopefully La Nina will give the Northwest good snowfall this year
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 07:00:29 AM »

Unfortunately no.  I like my bad knee just the way it is.  Even jumping rope gets to me after a while.  I can just imagine skiing.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 10:14:53 AM »

I thought you cared about your working class credentials?

But, yeah, I like skiing. It's been awhile though.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 11:52:09 AM »

Unfortunately no.  I like my bad knee just the way it is.  Even jumping rope gets to me after a while.  I can just imagine skiing.

Yeah... skiing probably wouldn't be the best sport for you.  Although you could just ski like a beginner... start at the top of the biggest black diamond run after being dared by your friends to ski down it... and go... straight down, no turning, nothing.. just straight down.  If you fall, your knee will be the least of your worries.. so why not go for it?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 11:52:54 AM »

Does anybody here do it?

I love skiing, ...

... and I went in Austria in 05/06.

Where did you go to and did you like it ?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 11:55:08 AM »

Huh?

Where I live, skiing has not become the sport of the rich yet.  School children still go on skiing field trips and it is still affordable.  That's why so many great skiers come from the midwest:  We have a love for the sport, not the "society" that surrounds it.  I mean, you'd have to really really love skiing to ski in the midwest.

Tender Branson:

I went to Sankt Johann/Alpendorf, twice.  I loved it.  The first time was in December and it was snowing heavily and there was already a meter of snow on the ground.  I went again at the end of March and it was 10*C and sunny... so I got a taste of both worlds.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 12:08:29 PM »

Huh?

Where I live, skiing has not become the sport of the rich yet.  School children still go on skiing field trips and it is still affordable.  That's why so many great skiers come from the midwest:  We have a love for the sport, not the "society" that surrounds it.  I mean, you'd have to really really love skiing to ski in the midwest.

Tender Branson:

I went to Sankt Johann/Alpendorf, twice.  I loved it.  The first time was in December and it was snowing heavily and there was already a meter of snow on the ground.  I went again at the end of March and it was 10*C and sunny... so I got a taste of both worlds.

Iīve been to Sankt Johann once in a while, but I prefer the Zell am See/Kaprun/Kitzsteinhorn area, as well as the Dachstein and Kitzbühel. But itīs getting more and more of a mess in recent years. Just look how densly populated Austria slopes are in the winter. Sometimes itīs not even fun anymore to ski with all the German and Dutch families congesting the slopes, especially after Christmas and on afternoons when the snow gets slushy Tongue But hey, why worry ? We need them for the economy. My state has always been a tourism whore. Besides itīs getting more and more expensive. You hardly get any day pass below 55$ anymore. So, if you are a German Family with 3 kids and stay for 1 week, you already have to pay between 500-1000$ just for skiing ... Wink

But as you said: If there are few people on the slopes, theres fresh powder snow, thereīs nothing chillier than skiing ... Smiley
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 12:57:14 PM »

Yeah... skiing probably wouldn't be the best sport for you.  Although you could just ski like a beginner... start at the top of the biggest black diamond run after being dared by your friends to ski down it... and go... straight down, no turning, nothing.. just straight down.  If you fall, your knee will be the least of your worries.. so why not go for it?

hahaha . . . personally, I would like to try snowboarding, since at least that way both of my feet are together on one board and will go in only one direction.  I have a pretty sizable knee brace which I use to use when I ran, but even that collects dust lately.  Smiley
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 09:59:49 PM »

Huh?

Tender Branson:

You would have to be devoted to be a skier in Minnesota, you dont really have that large of mountains there do you?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 10:36:53 PM »

No.  We have mostly very small ski areas with only 400 to 500 ft. vertical drop and very slow lifts and bitter cold and not a lot of powder... you have to be dedicated.

The only thing that comes close to the Mountains is Lutsen, which has 1,000 ft. vertical drop and a Gondola and lots of cliffs and tree skiing.  It's more comparable to East Coast skiing, though.  Michigan and Wisconsin both have some pretty good skiing, and some places in Michigan get 300 inches of snow in the winter.. and it's very powdery Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies