Ireland General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 11:11:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ireland General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65
Author Topic: Ireland General Discussion  (Read 285829 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1450 on: December 20, 2022, 01:50:23 PM »

Leo Varadkar has been elected as the new Taoiseach, following the 2020 FG-FF agreement. Micheál Martin is now the Tánaiste.

How tall is Higgins? He looks like a hobbit.

5’4 according to Google.

Huh, so it's Varadkar who's quite tall, then.

Anyway, I don't like Varadkar but after the tragic farce of the last four years of Israeli politics it's kind of refreshing to see one of these rotation agreements actually pan out for once.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1451 on: December 20, 2022, 11:11:48 PM »

Leo Varadkar has been elected as the new Taoiseach, following the 2020 FG-FF agreement. Micheál Martin is now the Tánaiste.

5’4 according to Google.

Huh, so it's Varadkar who's quite tall, then.

yes
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #1452 on: December 21, 2022, 10:04:00 AM »

Interesting contrast - given Macron, Zelensky, Sunak etc are all pretty short. Begs the most important question:

Why does Varadkar, the largest head of government, not simply eat the others?
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -1.04

« Reply #1453 on: December 21, 2022, 11:22:55 AM »

5’4 according to Google.

Varadkar is probably about 6'2" or so, so tall but not enormously so.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1454 on: December 21, 2022, 11:33:38 AM »

5’4 according to Google.

Varadkar is probably about 6'2" or so, so tall but not enormously so.

So it’s a classic Pretty Tall vs Pretty Short clash.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1455 on: March 08, 2023, 10:29:14 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2023, 10:40:18 PM by Joe Republic »

Headline presented without comment:

Call for left-wing unity causes division
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -1.04

« Reply #1456 on: June 07, 2023, 01:40:18 PM »

So which Atlas Poaster do we think he was/is?

Logical

« Reply #1457 on: September 06, 2023, 08:00:29 PM »

Proposed constituency boundaries for the next election released.
Full report here : https://ec-report.s3.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/constituency-review-report-2023.pdf

LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #1458 on: September 07, 2023, 06:54:03 PM »

Fascinating map, thanks for this.

Really illustrates how Dublin-centric the Republic actually is.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1459 on: September 10, 2023, 03:06:40 AM »

Thanks for posting.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1460 on: November 23, 2023, 05:22:07 PM »

Riots in downtown Dublin after a knife attack left 4 people injured, 3 of them children:

MayorCarcetti
Rookie
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1461 on: November 24, 2023, 03:56:59 AM »

Knew what it was going to be about when I saw this thread bumped.

Absolutely shocking scenes, unprecedented in modern times in the south at least I would say.
The attack itself on the children was horrific, again some not something we usually see in Ireland. Seems however to be an isolated attack (not much info released on the perpetrator other than he's foreign-born, but has been living here for more than 20 years and is an Irish citizen, and has a history of mental health issues). The irony is that while the far-right have used this to bash immigrants, it was an immigrant (a Brazilian deliveroo driver) that intervened in the attack

Sadly though that didn't matter to these numbskulls who used it as an excuse to 'protest' and then to cause carnage. The 'patriots' bravely showed their opposition to violence by looting Footlocker.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1462 on: November 24, 2023, 06:49:41 AM »

Absolutely shocking scenes, unprecedented in modern times in the south at least I would say.
The attack itself on the children was horrific, again some not something we usually see in Ireland. Seems however to be an isolated attack (not much info released on the perpetrator other than he's foreign-born, but has been living here for more than 20 years and is an Irish citizen, and has a history of mental health issues). The irony is that while the far-right have used this to bash immigrants, it was an immigrant (a Brazilian deliveroo driver) that intervened in the attack

Sadly though that didn't matter to these numbskulls who used it as an excuse to 'protest' and then to cause carnage. The 'patriots' bravely showed their opposition to violence by looting Footlocker.

What’s the far-right in the republic? I don’t recall any populist party in Parliament, and neither FG or FF have any far-right elements
Logical

« Reply #1463 on: November 24, 2023, 07:18:40 AM »

What’s the far-right in the republic? I don’t recall any populist party in Parliament, and neither FG or FF have any far-right elements
There is no far right party in parliament right now but there are a bunch of independents with anti immigration views. There's Aontu but their brand is being socially conservative SF rather than being on the right.
MayorCarcetti
Rookie
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1464 on: November 24, 2023, 07:55:49 AM »

It's very small and disorganised but definitely growing at the moment. . Depends on what you call far-right. As Logical said there's no far-right parties, but there's independents with anti-immigration views. Wouldn't really call them far-right tbh, they're more just saying what they can to get votes tbh.

In terms of self-professed far-right people - in the last election, even the most high-profile candidates didn't get anymore than 1-2% in their constituencies.
The most successful 'far-right' candidate in recent times was perhaps businessman Peter Casey in the 2018 presidential election with his anti-traveller (Irish gypsy's basically) rhetoric, coming 2nd with 23% of the vote (still way short of Higgins on 55%).

They're kind of seen as a joke in Ireland tbh because they go around things in such a terrible way. Gemma O'Doherty (who was once a well-known reputable journalist before giving the deep end after her husband's death) for instance complained about there being too many black children in a class picture of a rural school. She turned up at the school playground to livestream, only to be confronted by one of their parents. Her and John Waters (infamous newspaper columnist who had a child with Sinead O'Connor who grew to hate him passionately) made a right show of themselves during COVID with their anti-lockdown and anti-vax 'protests'.

Fine Gael are often nicknamed the 'Blueshirts' because the party was founded by the amalgamation of the fascist Blueshirt movement and the Cumann na nGaedheal party in the 30s, but today neither they or FF have any far-right elements in them. The most high-profile far right party at the moment is The National Party but they are a complete joke, who were most recently in the news when some gold-bars they held went missing causing an internal struggle in the party. Without any real party to support, the far-right isn't really taking off in Ireland like it is elsewhere in Europe, but Casey in 2018 showed that with the right candidate, they might.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1465 on: November 24, 2023, 09:04:53 AM »

One of the aforementioned anti-immigration Independent TDs, Michael Collins (no relation) recently formed a new party, Independent Ireland, and there are parallel discussions among some of the rural TDs about forming a ‘farmers party’, although there’s nothing concrete there yet. If either were to be successful I imagine that both would fill the right-wing populist niche amongst Irish political parties.

On the other hand, I’d imagine that if they voted at all, a lot of the rioters in question would probably vote for Sinn Féin, whose support base, at least partially, is in fact quite reflective of the demographics that typically tend to vote for right-wing populist parties in other countries.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1466 on: November 24, 2023, 11:22:08 AM »

I did notice one day a few months ago that #irelandisfull (or similar) was trending on Twitter - as is so often the case, this sort of mindless violence doesn't spontaneously erupt out of nowhere.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1467 on: November 24, 2023, 11:23:15 AM »

I did notice one day a few months ago that #irelandisfull (or similar) was trending on Twitter - as is so often the case, this sort of mindless violence doesn't spontaneously erupt out of nowhere.

Libraries and bookshops have been having 'issues' with much the same crowd for months.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1468 on: November 24, 2023, 11:59:19 AM »

I just realized that Sinn Fein is another example of a successful vanguard party over mass parties. There truly is one common trend in successful human organizational models.
RilakkuMAGA
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.26, S: -2.43

« Reply #1469 on: November 24, 2023, 12:35:44 PM »

Actually reminds me of the 2020 riots in the USA after the George Floyd death. Media proclaimed loudly that the rioters were out there for racial justice when they too were looting Foot Locker (when it was clearly just malcontents taking advantage of the police being distracted by BLM protests). But in reverse here. Needless to say, public support for BLM went into a terminal downwards spiral after...

I suspect all the alt-righters celebrating these riots are gonna pikachu wow-face when support for far-right ideas dips even lower lol
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1470 on: November 24, 2023, 10:04:46 PM »

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1471 on: November 25, 2023, 12:01:47 AM »

I seriously doubt there’s going to be a backlash to this, if anything this lays the fire for a movement to later spark on to
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1472 on: November 25, 2023, 12:15:54 AM »

For once I pretty much agree with Rilakku here: there exist examples in human history of riots intimidating governments, including sometimes elected governments, but they pretty much always cause backlashes among democratic electorates no matter what they are demanding.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1473 on: November 25, 2023, 10:57:26 AM »

We still don't know the nature of the incident that kicked this all off, which is itself maybe revealing.
MayorCarcetti
Rookie
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1474 on: November 26, 2023, 06:28:14 AM »

Some happy news after a difficult week, Irish-Israeli Emily Hand has been released by Hamas after 50 days of captivity.

Leo's tweet however on the matter has caused controversy. His biblical reference has earned him some blowback
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies