Ireland General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:35:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ireland General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 64
Author Topic: Ireland General Discussion  (Read 280499 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: May 26, 2014, 10:55:04 AM »

It's being widely reported that Gilmore will be resigning shortly.

He's gone.

Didn't expect that. Joanie to succeed, I suppose?

That would be the most likely option although Alex White or even Brendan Howlin are outside possibilities.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #901 on: May 26, 2014, 10:58:32 AM »

Is the new leader going to be another sticky?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #902 on: May 26, 2014, 11:10:53 AM »

He's gone.

That would be the most likely option although Alex White or even Brendan Howlin are outside possibilities.

Is Alex White a serious candidate? I mean, he's absolutely certain to lose his seat next time around. Also yet another Labour leader with a student-Trot/USI background? As for Howlin, too identified with the government this stage imo.

Joan Burton is the favourite, so no, if her. There aren't all that many ex-WP TDs in the Parliamentary Labour Party, even if they include some of the most prominent members. Even that Gilmore has resigned shows that the leadership recognizes that something has to give... so my guess is probably not. Not sure who can save Labour now though.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #903 on: May 26, 2014, 11:16:10 AM »
« Edited: May 26, 2014, 11:18:56 AM by oakvale »

He's gone.

Is Alex White a serious candidate? I mean, he's absolutely certain to lose his seat next time around. Also yet another Labour leader with a student-Trot/USI background? As for Howlin, too identified with the government this stage imo.

Joan Burton is the favourite, so no, if her. There aren't all that many ex-WP TDs in the Parliamentary Labour Party, even if they include some of the most prominent members. Even that Gilmore has resigned shows that the leadership recognizes that something has to give... so my guess is probably not. Not sure who can save Labour now though.

It's all fairly academic since the only way I see Joan Burton not being the next leader of the Labour Party is if for some reason she doesn't stand, really.

e: Though re: Alex White it's worth noting that Burton herself could have a bit of an issue with retaining her seat next election, albeit not quite as clear-cut.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #904 on: May 26, 2014, 11:25:57 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's pretty much true of every member of the Labour Party now.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #905 on: May 26, 2014, 05:16:28 PM »

Brian Crowley essentially confirms he plans to run for the Presidency in 2018...

Quote from: Restricted

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/ireland-south-crowley-and-n%C3%AD-riada-elected-1.1809430
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -1.04

« Reply #906 on: May 26, 2014, 06:29:37 PM »

Local elections: Went through the entire list to put this work of art in last place. (Note: I performed exactly the same procedure in 1999, 2004 and 2009 - without success so far - but I'm somewhat more hopeful this time).

Mission accomplished.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #907 on: May 26, 2014, 07:35:03 PM »

Sounds like he knows that now he's not an incumbent, there's no chance Fine Gael will nominate him.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #908 on: May 27, 2014, 06:01:42 AM »
« Edited: May 27, 2014, 06:31:15 AM by ObserverIE »

Sounds like he knows that now he's not an incumbent, there's no chance Fine Gael will nominate him.

The rest of the local FGers detest him. He was added on as a candidate this time by party HQ. What he has been is an effective clientelist politician, which is not of itself a particularly bad thing at county council level.

Anecdote: I was tallying for the candidate who was just ahead of him (a friend and neighbour who I've known since primary school). After the elimination of Coyle (FF) we were five votes ahead and the next elimination was Keogh (Ind), an ex-FGer who had not been added to the ticket and is less personally pleasant than Frank. The time was 2.00am.

We had earlier that afternoon tried to do a tally of where Keogh's first preferences would go, trying to take account of where number 2's to those candidates who would be elected or eliminated before Keogh would travel. (We usually had about three seconds to read a ballot paper - upside-down - and quickly try to figure out where the number 2 - or possibly the number 5 - was going. This is not easy.)

Our figures had Frank at 52 and ourselves at 44, which would have put Frank three ahead, but there were ballot papers we'd missed, ballot papers which were being assessed as "doubtful" because there was an omitted or duplicated preference somewhere down the line (the vote would still be valid up to the point of the mistake), and of course those transfers which Keogh had subsequently obtained from other candidates. In total, we tallied 430 out of a first count figure of 510, and a total figure of 624. We knew it would be touch and go. I was not hugely optimistic.

Keogh's votes were sorted into pigeon holes labelled for each candidate, and the batches were brought over to be counted individually. Frank's were counted first and came to 70. We needed 65.

Our votes, a sizeable-looking pile, were now brought over to another table. I was leaning over the little barrier, largely surrounded by FGers, and the counting began.

"One... two... three..", I said aloud as each vote was laid on the table.

"Twenty-eight... twenty-nine...". I briefly lost count and tried to correct myself, hoping that I was still right and wasn't under- or over-counting.

"Fifty-four... fifty-five...". The pile was starting to look worryingly small.

"Sixty-one... sixty-two...". There still were a few left. But how many?

"Sixty-four... sixty-five... SIXTY-SIX..."

Behind me, from the surrounding massed ranks of FG-dom, I heard quiet yelps of delight.

ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #909 on: May 27, 2014, 06:29:45 AM »
« Edited: May 27, 2014, 02:55:09 PM by ObserverIE »

Devastation in the senior ranks of Labour as Gilmore announces his resignation:

For some strange reason, this comes to mind...

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #910 on: May 27, 2014, 09:33:39 AM »

Just to recall a mere four years ago

ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #911 on: May 28, 2014, 07:31:34 PM »

He's gone.

Is Alex White a serious candidate? I mean, he's absolutely certain to lose his seat next time around. Also yet another Labour leader with a student-Trot/USI background?

He would be the first ex-Trot. The last two being Tankies.

More relevantly, White has been in the media for the last few months as the public face of the cluster that has seen medical cards removed from kids with Down Syndrome and sufferers from Motor Neurone Disease asked if their complaint has gone away.

Continuity Doormat Tendency.

[/quote]

The one dark horse, I suppose, would be Alan Kelly - young(ish), not associated with the various factions, not associated with the various ups of the last three years, and non-Dublin and not a culture warrior. Also not guaranteed to get on FGers' wicks, which may or may not be a good thing.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #912 on: May 29, 2014, 07:55:23 AM »

Update: Kelly has declared for the Deputy Leadership position. He's being supported by Ann Phelan (Carlow-Kilkenny), who's also supporting Burton for the leadership and on the basis of last week's local results would be one of the few Labour TDs with a reasonable prospect of getting re-elected.

Two other TDs are going for the Deputy Leadership: Seán Sherlock (Cork East), who seems to be standing on behalf of the Sticky/Continuity Doormat alliance and is absolutely painful to listen to, and Michael McCarthy (Cork South West), who doesn't seem to have secured the necessary nomination of another TD to actually stand as opposed to talk about standing.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #913 on: May 30, 2014, 07:23:11 AM »

I doubt White has the support to make a serious run at it.

I agree, and yet he's in, for some reason. No-one I know in Labour gives him much of a chance although he'll probably do well among the parliamentary party. Then again, most people I know in Labour told me Brendan Howlin was likely to stand so, er...

I almost (almost) wish I'd renewed my membership now. I'd be part of an increasingly rare and undistinguished club and would have the opportunity to vote against the ex-Trot and Sticky entryists that have nearly completed their apparent mission to destroy the party. There's something very fitting about the fact that the ex-Trotskyist candidate represents one of the most middle-class constituencies in the country.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #914 on: May 30, 2014, 09:14:21 AM »

He would be the first ex-Trot. The last two being Tankies.

I was more playing up the USI/student-Marxist angle, yes.

Except for sufferers of said conditions, that will be mostly forgotten by the next GE.

His Rathfarnham area base is being drawn out of the constituency for the next election and being moved into Tallaghtland (aka Dublin South West) where there are already 2 sitting Labour TDs (admittely one of them is Pat Rabitte, but....)

On that note, If White wins it (and I know he won't) would be the four Labour leader in a row who represented a Dublin-south-of-the-Liffey seat.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #915 on: May 30, 2014, 01:19:10 PM »

Car crash interview with White supporter Derek Nolan as to why people should vote for White or what exactly he would do differently if elected on this evening's Drivetime (not on the RTE Player yet). Audrey Carville is no Vincent Browne but you still felt bad about the gratuitous cruelty to a poor dumb animal.

The time may soon come to put the Labour Party out of its misery.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #916 on: May 30, 2014, 01:25:44 PM »

This means more SF then, ugh.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #917 on: May 30, 2014, 01:34:55 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2014, 01:37:18 PM by ObserverIE »

I almost (almost) wish I'd renewed my membership now. I'd be part of an increasingly rare and undistinguished club and would have the opportunity to vote against the ex-Trot and Sticky entryists that have nearly completed their apparent mission to destroy the party.

And ironically they have destroyed it, not by moving it towards Trotskyism or Juche, but by shifting it to the right (at least on economic issues) with the acquiescence of most of Old Labour and of an activist base that has been too preoccupied by social issues to notice (or seemingly care) what was going on economically.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #918 on: May 30, 2014, 07:34:05 PM »

Trigger warning: Mauling of helpless Labour backbencher starts at 40:09.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A10286445%3A83%3A30-05-2014%3A
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #919 on: May 31, 2014, 07:03:47 AM »

Today in "Why, oh why, can we not have a better intelligentsia", the world's worst political journalist, Stephen Collins

Oh sure, the real reason that Labour was thrashed last week had no connection at all to what they've done, only things they said... four years ago.

LOL. Oh, do name names Stephen.

Ah so the real problem is - gadzooks - the media of which Stephen Collins is most definitely  a part, I mean what else could it be? That common good has been so.... common over the last few years.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... Oh lord. Nurse! Meds!

Perhaps we don't need a Nurse so much as a a psychiatrist

Lord, Stephen... so if I understand you correctly, you think the way to save the Labour Party is for it to keep doing what it has been doing for the past three years. Perhaps when Labour really needs is for Sean Sherlock and Pat Rabbitte on TV twenty years a hour, seven days a week saying nothing but the words "Hard Decisions" and "Tough Choices" on a continual loop.

There is not a single fact in that paragraph

What is this, I don't even?

Did Stephen also notice how 'well' the other government party did last week?

*Head desk*

Low turnout in... middle class areas? What. is. he. talking. about.

Thank god print media is dying.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #920 on: May 31, 2014, 07:48:37 AM »

Look, Collins is a Cosgrave-era Fine Gaeler. In Collinsworld, all parties need to turn into Cosgrave-era Fine Gael in order to succeed.

The intelligentsia, much like the electorate, is an annoying distraction.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #921 on: May 31, 2014, 08:02:36 AM »

Look, Collins is a Cosgrave-era Fine Gaeler. In Collinsworld, all parties need to turn into Cosgrave-era Fine Gael in order to succeed.

No doubt. But where do they find these people?

political_journalism.txt

On that note, I discovered this the other day on Irish election literature

ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #922 on: May 31, 2014, 08:55:20 AM »

No doubt. But where do they find these people?

If you're referring to Cosgrave-era Fine Gaelers, well, FG is full to the brim with them.

In 20 years' time, will our successors be similarly gazing wondrously at today's material from Ruth Coppinger or from any one of a hundred SFers?
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #923 on: June 02, 2014, 07:32:04 AM »
« Edited: June 02, 2014, 07:33:45 AM by ObserverIE »

Ciara Conway enters deputy leadership race on behalf of Culture Warrior wing with (what else?) tweeted support from Aodhán Ó Ríordáin. (Ivana is otherwise occupied getting onside with Joan Burton as next leader.)

Promises not to accept Cabinet or junior minister post if elected. Unlikely to be put to test.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #924 on: June 02, 2014, 12:36:31 PM »

Is that a serious question because of course they will (Well... maybe not, Coppinger, she seems too much of a true believer).

That doesn't answer my question.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies