Coalition to Protect Preferential Voting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 09:29:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Coalition to Protect Preferential Voting
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Coalition to Protect Preferential Voting  (Read 4338 times)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 25, 2004, 09:53:29 PM »

Friends,

When the Atlas Forum instituted a sytem of Preferential voting, it took a giant leap forward that we could only hope will someday be mirrored by the nation at large.  Instant Runoff Voting is being adopted by organizations across the country because these groups understand that it is important that the will of as many voters as possible is expressed rather than just the beliefs of a few.

If you believe as I do that we shouldn't turn back the clock on the progress we have made, then you should join the Coalition to Protect Preferential Voting by signing below.

We need the support of as many members as possible and as many parties as possible.  We must organize and be vigilant so that our rights are not trampled upon by the tyranny of the minority.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 10:30:12 PM »

I see who's jumped the Republican ship. The UACers have done nothing to advance this government. Just stagnate everything.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 10:35:21 PM »

I would like to join the Coalition.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 10:37:32 PM »

No suprise again. The wimpy UACers and Dems bonding up again. I will continue to be a thorn in the side of the UAC for as long as I'm senator.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 10:42:47 PM »

My my States, a little grumpy tonight, aren't we?

htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2004, 10:42:53 PM »

Welcome, Nick - and thank you for your committment to progress for the forum.

Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2004, 10:46:10 PM »

No suprise again. The wimpy UACers and Dems bonding up again. I will continue to be a thorn in the side of the UAC for as long as I'm senator.

I'm not even a Dem!
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 10:51:33 PM »

and I'm not even wimpy! Smiley
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2004, 11:28:31 PM »

and I didn't murder anybody named Sue Cassady in Memphis Grin
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2004, 11:53:53 PM »

One more quote like this, and I'll just abandon ship on even considering voting on the preferential voting repeal amendment.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2004, 12:00:19 AM »

States told me that he wanted to "destroy" the UAC.

One more quote like this, and I'll just abandon ship on even considering voting on the preferential voting repeal amendment.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2004, 12:04:20 AM »

States told me that he wanted to "destroy" the UAC.

This is when partisan politics goes too far. I don't agree with the UAC that much but we have to respect our opponents. We shouldn't want to "destroy" our Atlas political parties. I really hope States didn't say that. Let's have our debates, let's disagree but let us not want to "destroy" each other. Then no one wins.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2004, 12:07:41 AM »

I hope I'm not burning any bridges with the honorable Senator StatesRights, but I must part his company on this particular issue.

I plan to fight to protect preferential voting.  It was my bill in the senate that established preferential voting and I stand by the contents of that bill.  It would be easy for me to say that because some elections have not favored my party's candidates that we should return to the old way of doing things.  In this instance, however, I must side with the interests of democracy over the interests of my party.  Our system of preferential voting and instant runoffs insures that the candidate who wins an election is the one who is preferred over all the other candidates in the field.  The instant runoffs allow us to avoid the long and chaotic process of holding runoff elections every time two candidates tie.

Like I said, I stand by the contents of my bill and I can assure everyone on the forum that preferential voting is in no way a UAC scheme (I don't even think the UAC existed at the time I introduced the bill in the senate) nor is it the baby of United Lefties.  It is, quite to the contrary, my baby--the greatest legislative achievement of a very conservative republican.

What we republicans should be concentrating on in the aftermath of this election is how extremely, surprisingly well our candidate did.  Our voter turnout efforts produced a lead in first preference votes.  Six people voted republican in this election.  This from a party that managed to net ten votes in the last presidential election only a month ago.  We are flourishing and, if democracy is allowed to work without impediments, we will continue to flourish.

I guess that's all I have to say for now.
MarkDel

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2004, 12:07:50 AM »

I have to confess guys, as a new person in this fantasy election game, I am very, very confused by the UAC. Near as I can tell, it looks like a coalition designed solely to gain more power at the expense of any coherent and consistent ideology. I don't see how some of the more left wing members can endorse parts of the platform, and I don't see how some of the more right wing members can endorse other parts of the platform. And I have seen everyone from hard right conservatives to quasi-marxists say they are members of the UAC, so there is something very unrealistic going on here.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2004, 12:18:04 AM »

The UAC has quasi marxists?

Okay...groucho...come foward...NOW!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2004, 12:18:14 AM »
« Edited: July 26, 2004, 12:19:18 AM by Keystone Phil »

As a concerned Atlasian I would like our Senators who represent the will of the people to take a look at the poll concerning Preferential voting. Currently 59% of us voters want this system repealed. Please listen to our requests. This is an unfair system and must be replaced.
MarkDel

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2004, 12:29:01 AM »

The UAC has quasi marxists?

Okay...groucho...come foward...NOW!

Well, NickG is one that comes to mind off the top of my head. Do you have complete list of UAC party members for me to look at?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2004, 12:30:10 AM »

I don't, but I don't believe NickG is a UAC member...United Left if I recall.

YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2004, 12:31:18 AM »

You are correct.
MarkDel

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2004, 12:33:23 AM »

OK, I thought he was. So who are the members?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2004, 12:34:21 AM »

Andrew, do you have a roster? maybe Don or JFK do.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2004, 12:41:11 AM »

I'll see if I can dig one up.
MarkDel

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2004, 12:51:43 AM »

Bull,

Don't go to any trouble, I already joined the Republicans a few days ago when I joined the Fantasy Forum. I really considered joining the UAC until I saw your Platform...you guys state a lot of positions without generally TAKING a position on far too many issues.
MarkDel

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2004, 12:56:06 AM »

Mr. Fresh,

Thanks. I actually don't agree with you guys on everything, but at least you TAKE A STAND on some controversial issues.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2004, 12:56:48 AM »

Mark,

I respect you a great deal so I must confess I am a little surprised at reading your confusion about our party.  I hope you will review my comments and those of the other UAC members.  I think that if you looked closely, you will find that you belong on our team.

The UAC has a consistent ideology.  Our platform is fiscally responsible and conservative, and socially progressive.  All UAC members share the common fundamental value of individual liberty.  We cherish it, love it, and will not sacrifice it for the demands of ideology or belief.

Yes, there are members of the UAC that do not fit the profile of the average member. I call them COINs - Centrists In Name Only. Will you give me permission to kick them out? Smiley  We formed the UAC Leadership Council early on to maintain stablity and ensure that our Party always stands for the centrist values that the majority of Americans share.  You will note that most of the more wild members that we had in the early days have since moved on to different pastures.  I don't think we have any quasi-marxists, and perhaps only one or two hard-right conservatives.  These people have sought refuge in the UAC's positve mission and values despite their disagreements with our platform.  I will not rebuke their right to join whatever party they choose.

But yes, Mark, you got us on one point.  Our mission is to "gain more power".  Our mission is to win elections so that our candidates can support the values that our Party represents.  But we have never sacrificed our values to win an election.  Atlasian voters can always count on UAC members to espouse the most balanced and thoughtful course of action and defend their individual rights.

The problem with people who do not understand the UAC is usually because they like to think of politics as a struggle between imaginary points of "left" and "right", when no such struggle really exists.  The real struggles out there are what individuals have to go through to live their lives.  The real struggle is to raise the quality of life for all Americans.  While the left is worrying about a conflict between the rich and the poor, and the right is worrying about a conflict between God and Satan, we're left to deal with the real problems and find the right solutions.  We don't mind the burden, because that, as you know, is the burden of statesmenship.  The UAC stands for statesmenship - for listening to all sides and thoughtfully coming up with a balanced solution that helps as many people as possible without trampling individual rights.

So I encourage you to re-evaluate us.  I think it is obvious how passionate I am about my party and its mission.  Talk to Nation, or Kemperor, or Andrew, or Bullmoose, and you'll get the same energy and enthusiasm.

I have to confess guys, as a new person in this fantasy election game, I am very, very confused by the UAC. Near as I can tell, it looks like a coalition designed solely to gain more power at the expense of any coherent and consistent ideology. I don't see how some of the more left wing members can endorse parts of the platform, and I don't see how some of the more right wing members can endorse other parts of the platform. And I have seen everyone from hard right conservatives to quasi-marxists say they are members of the UAC, so there is something very unrealistic going on here.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies