Density of Congressional Districts?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:30:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Density of Congressional Districts?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Density of Congressional Districts?  (Read 3496 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2007, 08:41:36 PM »

Does anyone know where to find the poplation density of all congressional districts?

I'm trying to find out the most dense cong. districts to vote for Bush and the least dense ones that voted for Kerry.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 08:52:47 PM »

An approximation would be to use area.
Eyeballing the 2000 map has the largest Gore districts as:
eastern ME, northeastern MN, northern NM
and smallest Bush as in Orange county, CA area or the Dallas, TX area.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 09:10:10 PM »

NY-13 (Staten Island) was probably Bush's densest district.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 01:59:48 AM »

Wikipedia makes this pretty easy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_congressional_districts_by_area

Biggest that Kerry won is NM-3, followed by MN-8, ME-2, and AZ-7.
Bush narrowly won the very dense CA-47, followed by NY-13, and CA-40 (where Bush got 60%)
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 11:53:31 AM »

My heart goes out to the people who had to calculate the area of some of these CD's...
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 12:32:15 PM »

According to the Wikipedia article on NY-13, however, it was the smallest district (by land area) that Bush won, which is probably the result of California having somewhat larger (by population) districts than New York.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 01:03:23 PM »

According to the Wikipedia article on NY-13, however, it was the smallest district (by land area) that Bush won, which is probably the result of California having somewhat larger (by population) districts than New York.

The article says that it is the smallest district represented by a Republican, not that it was the smallest Bush won. CA-47 is 54.7 sq. miles, and NY-13 is 64.72 sq. miles.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 09:03:23 PM »

NM-3 and AZ-7 have high Native American and Hispanic populations; MN-8 has influential unions; not sure why ME-2 is reliably Democratic--perhaps migrants from southern New England.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

NY-13 (Staten Island) is definitely the 9/11 factor. CA-47 and CA-40 are in Orange County, but CA-47 is surprising since it is so dense, has a high Hispanic and Asian population, has a Democratic Representative, and Gore won it reliatively easily in 2000. Anyone know why Bush won CA-47 and did so well in CA-40?
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 09:34:21 PM »

NM-3 and AZ-7 have high Native American and Hispanic populations; MN-8 has influential unions; not sure why ME-2 is reliably Democratic--perhaps migrants from southern New England.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

NY-13 (Staten Island) is definitely the 9/11 factor. CA-47 and CA-40 are in Orange County, but CA-47 is surprising since it is so dense, has a high Hispanic and Asian population, has a Democratic Representative, and Gore won it reliatively easily in 2000. Anyone know why Bush won CA-47 and did so well in CA-40?

re: CA-47. This is B1-Bob Dornan's old district. Used to be a pretty conservative area; recent Hispanic influx has moved it left. Reasons Bush won it '04. 1. He won 44% of the national Hispanic vote -- and likely picked up some culturally conservative Chicanos. 2. Bush did pretty well in this district's Orange County precincts. Considering the nativist resurgence in the GOP, I doubt the Republican exceed 47% in this district in 2008.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 12:03:47 PM »

not sure why ME-2 is reliably Democratic--perhaps migrants from southern New England.

ME-2 has only recently been voting Democratic, and all of its migration has been outward. It elected Olympia Snowe from 1978 until she ran for the Senate in '94 and was a high Perot-voting region. It's rural and facing economic difficulties, having lost some of its military and timber industries. It's similar to MA-01 or what VT-AL might have looked like if Vermont hadn't had any in-migration. Southern cultural conservatism does not resonate there, so it's been leaning Democratic lately.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 12:21:55 PM »

The article says that it is the smallest district represented by a Republican, not that it was the smallest Bush won. CA-47 is 54.7 sq. miles, and NY-13 is 64.72 sq. miles.

Ah, you're right. I forgot Loretta Sanchez represents CA-47.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 01:31:39 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2007, 01:33:53 PM by I'm In The Mountains, I'll Call You Next Year »

Bush winning CA-47 was a rather big fluke. That district should vote Dem 9 times out of 10. The Dems would easily hold it even if Sanchez retired. I'd also be shocked if that seat votes Republican in 2008. Gore got 56% in it by the way.

Also the current CA-47 is not Dornan's old seat. Sanchez did beat Dornan, but the old district was carved up and now parts of it are in 4 districts I believe. It bears virtually no resemblance to the district Dornan represented.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 03:08:23 PM »

not sure why ME-2 is reliably Democratic--perhaps migrants from southern New England.

ME-2 has only recently been voting Democratic, and all of its migration has been outward. It elected Olympia Snowe from 1978 until she ran for the Senate in '94 and was a high Perot-voting region. It's rural and facing economic difficulties, having lost some of its military and timber industries. It's similar to MA-01 or what VT-AL might have looked like if Vermont hadn't had any in-migration. Southern cultural conservatism does not resonate there, so it's been leaning Democratic lately.
Vermont has had nowhere near as much immigration as people seem to think - certainly a lot less than New Hampshire. Indeed, the reason why New Hampshire still has lots of Republicans is, ironically, the strong immigration from Southern New England.

ME-01 is also pretty strongly Franco Canadian.
Oh yeah, and most of what you said is spot-on. Wink Oh, and: Welcome to the Forum!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies