FOX cost Gore the election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:04:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  FOX cost Gore the election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FOX cost Gore the election  (Read 13054 times)
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« on: July 26, 2004, 09:34:44 AM »

I was watching "Outfoxed" and some guy said something completely true, IMHO. He said that FOX's and then the other networks decisions to call Florida for Bush at 2 AM even though you really couldn't tell from the data, led to a perception throughout the legal battle that Bush was the current winner and Gore was trying to knock him off. That perception may have hurt Gore more than any legal mistake or something of the sort.

The fact that Bush had more votes had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I suggest the democrats move on, its over.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 10:06:45 AM »

I was watching "Outfoxed" and some guy said something completely true, IMHO. He said that FOX's and then the other networks decisions to call Florida for Bush at 2 AM even though you really couldn't tell from the data, led to a perception throughout the legal battle that Bush was the current winner and Gore was trying to knock him off. That perception may have hurt Gore more than any legal mistake or something of the sort.

Absolutely nothing, indeed. Also, notice that the guy who made that decision was a close relative of Bush's.

One guy?  The vote was counted by hundreds if not thousands of people all across the state.  All of them sent their totals to Kathryn Harris, who added them up and certified them then passed the results on to the legislature and JEB.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 11:11:58 AM »

you are correct: it is over.  However, the FACT is that Gore had MORE VOTES.  Just making sure you know the FACTS.

The point of the thread is valid, however, although it may not have changed the result (we'll never really know that one).  The biggest impact may have been the impact of Gore "seeming" to be the loser, before that was clear, causing the perception of him to be more negative.

No, Bush had more votes in every credible count by a variety of organizations.

More people may have gone to the polls intending to vote for Gore, but if they are unable to figure out a ballot and too proud to ask for help, they forfeit their right to vote.

The state being called for Gore also kept people in the panhandle from voting.  No one knows how many people with the intent to vote for Bush stayed home or left the line at a polling place because they heard the state was over.  They also forfeit their right to vote.

In the end, Florida was a mess for a variety of reasons.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 05:11:00 PM »

you are correct: it is over.  However, the FACT is that Gore had MORE VOTES.  Just making sure you know the FACTS.

The point of the thread is valid, however, although it may not have changed the result (we'll never really know that one).  The biggest impact may have been the impact of Gore "seeming" to be the loser, before that was clear, causing the perception of him to be more negative.

More people may have gone to the polls intending to vote for Gore, but if they are unable to figure out a ballot and too proud to ask for help, they forfeit their right to vote.

O, so now Republicans want to discriminate against dumb people? You guys are really elitist.

Who made the confusing ballot?

If you do not understand tha ballot and do not ask for help you do not get to complain if you screw up.  You had the chance to do it right and blew it.  No, you do not get to go back and fix it.

And I love how my view represents all Republicans.  I had no clue I was so influential.  Fear my power over the party!

Since you ignore the effect of the early call I can only assume Democrats* would like to ignore that.  

* Possibly just you.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2004, 10:56:33 AM »

That's really pitiful. If there is one thing I am unhappy with Gore about, it is the fact that he didn't contest everything more so than he did.  

He did a poor job contesting things.  He wanted every vote to be counted, but only in heavily democratic counties.  He wanted a loose interpretation of voting laws, except where absentee ballots where concerned.  He wanted court involvement, unless the court decided against him.

Finally, he never came up with as catchy a slogan as "Sore Loserman: Don't Be Had By A Chad."
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2004, 02:06:41 PM »

Note that they do not include the absentee ballots that Gore got thrown out.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies