National Liberal Coalition Policy Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:48:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  National Liberal Coalition Policy Discussion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: National Liberal Coalition Policy Discussion  (Read 5869 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: August 26, 2007, 08:13:53 PM »

Yup. but the problem with those are that rather than pacts they were largely unilateral surrenders in the trade wars.  I'm very pro-free trade, but not to the point of ignoring the ill effects from other countries subsidies of their own products on Atlasian manufacturers and farmers.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 04:40:35 PM »

[Okay, I think we've got immigration covered now. Before we go on, I'm going to go through a quick list of social issue positions, none of which I expect anyone to object to (but, if there are objections, feel free to mention them).

-Embryonic stem cell research funding
You mean biotechnology corporate welfare?  I have mild objections to this unless we have any patents resulting from the research be owned by the government as well so that they can be used by a wider group of users.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

While I have no strong position on much of the abortion issue, I am stridently against exceptions for rape or incest.  The sole justification for restricting or prohibiting abortion is that one is safeguarding another human life by doing so.  The circumstances that lead to a pregnancy, no matter how tragic they may be, have no bearing or whether an embryo or fetus has yet reached the point at which it should be considered to be a human life or not.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 06:35:38 PM »

Okay, I think we've got immigration covered now. Before we go on, I'm going to go through a quick list of social issue positions, none of which I expect anyone to object to (but, if there are objections, feel free to mention them).

-Embryonic stem cell research funding
You mean biotechnology corporate welfare?  I have mild objections to this unless we have any patents resulting from the research be owned by the government as well so that they can be used by a wider group of users.

The patents need not be owned by the government, just have there be no patent at all. Of course, as the companies themselves also invest money into the research, they should at least get some sort of benefits; it isn't simply the government paying for research, it's the government encouraging research through grants. I agree with you in principle about corporate welfare, but in the recent past it has been nigh impossible to get anyone to seriously research stem cells (or most anything else in the medical field) without substantial government input.

Largely because the medical community has become so dependent on government funding that it has forgotten there are other ways to raise research funds.  One good thing about the stem cell controversy has been that its gotten some off their duffs to find other funding sources.  Unfortunately most of them only see it as a stop gap until government returns to its usual practice.

While I have no strong position on much of the abortion issue, I am stridently against exceptions for rape or incest.  The sole justification for restricting or prohibiting abortion is that one is safeguarding another human life by doing so.  The circumstances that lead to a pregnancy, no matter how tragic they may be, have no bearing or whether an embryo or fetus has yet reached the point at which it should be considered to be a human life or not.
[/quote]

Okay, I think it's time for the dying violinist to be dragged out again. It's an argument often offered in favor of abortion, and it's very compelling... until you realize it applies only in situations of rape. Anyway:

You wake up in a strange place. There is a person connected to you by tubes carrying blood between your bodies. A group of people stand around you. They explain to you that the person attached to you is a famous violinist, and they are his devout fans. He has a critical illness, so they have kidnapped you and attached you to his bloodstream to keep him alive. You both will survive with no ill effects if you agree to be confined with the man attached to you for nine months, but, if you choose to sever the connection, he will die. Are you obligated to maintain the connection?
[/quote]
If you are the only person who can keep the person alive, then yes, even if he weren't famous.  The violinist is clearly a human being in this example, without any of the uncertainty of that fact that pertains to the analogous case.  Given what the two stark choices presented are, you are inconvenienced for nine months or he dies, the only ethical choice at this point would be to keep him alive.  That wouldn't keep you from seeking legal action, both criminal and civil against his fans.  Indeed, such action should be taken.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 08:35:16 PM »

I favor neutrality toward religion when it comes to government supported education.  For those Regions which choose to include school vouchers among their methods of funding education, I have no problem with including religious schools among voucher choices for parents to select among, so long as they aren't the only choice, and the schools have to meet the same standards as other schools concerning the non-religious aspects of education..  I also have no beef with extracurricular religious clubs/activities being allowed at public schools on the same basis as non-religious clubs/activities.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 10:55:11 PM »

As an example of what sliding taxes would look like:

I hope you don't mean that the tax rate on the entire income rather than the marginal income would slide.  That would cause marginal tax rates to be very high at the upper end of the scale.  For example,  comparing 34.9999359% of $399,999 vs, 35% of $400,000 shows that the marginal tax rate on that 400,000th dollar would be 60.64%.

Getting that out of the way, given that taxpayers who have taxable incomes lower than the top bracket have to use tax tables anyway, so it wouldn't be an added complication for tax payers.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 11:13:49 PM »

no interest in electoral reform on my part.  The Senate spends too much time shuffling the deck chairs and not bothering about where Atlasia is headed.  Of the six items on the floor now, only one, the Educational Funding Clarification Bill, is about what the government does, the other five are all about how the government does it's business.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies