Legality of Seeding and Leeching
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:15:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Legality of Seeding and Leeching
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Legality of Seeding and Leeching  (Read 1666 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 27, 2007, 07:29:12 PM »

If somebody seeds a song, is it technically legal to leech the song?  Specifically, is it legal to use a file converter such as Vixy.net to convert Youtube files of copyrighted songs to mp3 files?

It's argued that only the seeder is doing the illegal deed, but I had always thought that just like buying a black market object, both parties are held responsible.

Can anybody help me out on this one?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 08:09:02 PM »

If somebody seeds a song, is it technically legal to leech the song?  Specifically, is it legal to use a file converter such as Vixy.net to convert Youtube files of copyrighted songs to mp3 files?

It's argued that only the seeder is doing the illegal deed, but I had always thought that just like buying a black market object, both parties are held responsible.

I'm pretty sure that no, it's not technically legal.  Theres a reason that all those torrent sites are located offshore.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 08:53:03 PM »

I'm pretty sure that no, it's not technically legal.  Theres a reason that all those torrent sites are located offshore.

I need somebody who knows for sure - documented sources would be greatly appreciated.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 09:47:02 PM »

Filesharing is most definitely illegal - either downloading or uploading - if the file itself is licensed and copyrighted material. People have been arrested for it.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 10:05:26 PM »

Filesharing is most definitely illegal - either downloading or uploading - if the file itself is licensed and copyrighted material. People have been arrested for it.

That's what I thought - do you have a source so I can show my roommate so I can end this debate w/ him?Huh
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 12:56:15 AM »

What's the difference between that and copying a CD to Tape? Nothing. This shouldn't be illegal.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 01:05:03 AM »

What's the difference between that and copying a CD to Tape? Nothing. This shouldn't be illegal.

Actually copying to a tape IS illegal. It never attracted much controversy though because you'd never be able to match sound quality (plus enforcing it would be impossible).

One caveat, downloading copyrighted material IS legal if either:

1-You own a copy of the material
and/or
2-The material is available for free somewhere

So it's legal for me to download mp3s for things I own on vinyl, or stuff that you can download off sites like myspace (since my computer hates myspace downloads). Not that I don't download other stuff too of course.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 03:54:35 AM »

Copyright laws in this area are notoriously ridiculous, but yes, it is illegal.  It shouldn't be however.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 09:06:11 AM »

Actually copying to a tape IS illegal. It never attracted much controversy though because you'd never be able to match sound quality (plus enforcing it would be impossible).

and/or

So it's legal for me to download mp3s for things I own on vinyl, or stuff that you can download off sites like myspace (since my computer hates myspace downloads). Not that I don't download other stuff too of course.

OK, well the songs are on myspace (illegally), so then it's LEGAL to use a file converter to make them mp3's?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 09:39:31 AM »

That's what I thought - do you have a source so I can show my roommate so I can end this debate w/ him?Huh

This should help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_sharing_and_the_law

The primary difference is distribution. If you copy from a CD to a tape, but you only use that tape for yourself and you aren't distributing copies to other people who have not legally purchased that CD you would be fine. However, make a bunch of bootleg tapes and start selling them or even giving them away and you'll be in trouble as you don't have a license to distribute the songs on the CD.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 10:00:36 AM »

OK, well the songs are on myspace (illegally), so then it's LEGAL to use a file converter to make them mp3's?

No.  If they are on the site illegally, you should report it to MySpace so the person can take it off and not get in trouble.

Basically, if you do not own the rights, and you did not pay for the item, then you cannot legally download/convert it.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 10:27:02 AM »

No.  If they are on the site illegally, you should report it to MySpace so the person can take it off and not get in trouble.

Basically, if you do not own the rights, and you did not pay for the item, then you cannot legally download/convert it.

Almost all the stuff on Myspace, at least in my experience, is legally available.  It's a massive marketing arm of the record companies.  Why do you think it was so highly valued to Murdoch?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 12:03:50 PM »

Somehow I thought this topic was about planting stuff and going out to various ponds/small lakes and looking for leeches to use as fishing bait.

Oh well.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 01:50:52 PM »

and/or

When he said "available for free somewhere", he meant "legally available for free somewhere".
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies