John Edwards says Americans should "sacrifice their SUVs"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:43:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  John Edwards says Americans should "sacrifice their SUVs"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: John Edwards says Americans should "sacrifice their SUVs"  (Read 4252 times)
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2007, 07:40:17 PM »

I'd prefer not to be completely crushed in a car wreck.

Regular cars are perfectly capable of protecting you.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2007, 07:45:37 PM »

Regular cars are also perfectly able of being "penis enlargements", as Gully put it.

Yeah, we should all drive SUVs.  Practical.

Yep, that's exactly what I said...
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2007, 07:59:23 PM »

Regular cars are also perfectly able of being "penis enlargements", as Gully put it.

Yes, but much more difficult to do unless you look permantely wrecked and play gangsta (and call it "gangsta") rap at about 200 decimals while trying to speed down a suburban hill in your Mazda. (Which I've actually seen once..)

It's just that, compared to that buying an SUV seems so subtle in trying to shout out "OMGZ LOOKZ HOW COOL I IS!111"...*

(* - Unless you live in a rural area or somewhere difficult terrain, then it's different.)
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2007, 08:03:35 PM »

I don't know, I've never really thought of SUVs as being cool or a symbol of status (unless it's an Escalade) but that's just me.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2007, 08:48:53 PM »

So... ummm... Does that mean he's giving up using SUV's now?

Good question. Smiley 

I'd like to know what kind of car(s) Edwards drives. I'm guessing they aren't econo-boxes. Arnie who also claims to be an environmentalist has a garage full of Humvees.
From what I undestand Al Gore has a hybrid SUV which means it gets marginally better mileage than a standard SUV.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2007, 08:56:07 PM »

Errr, it's never a good idea to ask us to sacrifice anything.

That's one area where Bush has gotten the right answer.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2007, 08:56:22 PM »

Very true, otherwise Ferrari, Lambourghini, Mazarati, Aston Martin, Porsche the large luxury car and sports car divisions of BMW, Mercedes, and Audi would all be history.

I don't know, I've never really thought of SUVs as being cool or a symbol of status (unless it's an Escalade) but that's just me.

Well I know that I look really cool rolling down the streets in my 7 year old 100,000 plus miles Jeep Grand Cherokee that currently shakes violently any time I brake, chalk that up to a wheel alignment problem. Oh yeah that's just the epitome of cool.
Conan
conan

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2007, 09:20:29 PM »

So... ummm... Does that mean he's giving up using SUV's now?

I guess you haven't heard of...umm... a Ford/Mercury Escape/Mariner Hybrid?
34 city/30 highway.
That's an incredibly small SUV if it qualifies for one. It's more of a cross over. But none of this matters because we don't know whose car that is or when the photograph was taken and that his campaign is carbon neutral.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2007, 09:21:33 PM »

I always love how the moment any politician makes any recommendations, people just immediately start bringing up personal attacks while totally ignoring what was actually said.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2007, 09:53:29 PM »

I always love how the moment any politician makes any recommendations, people just immediately start bringing up personal attacks while totally ignoring what was actually said.

I didn't ignore what Mr. Edwards said, I merely said he had no standing to say it.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2007, 10:39:15 PM »

But none of this matters because we don't know whose car that is or when the photograph was taken and that his campaign is carbon neutral.

Right, after all, it's ok to put more carbon than the average person as long as you are willing to send money to your own eco-business to buy "credits." 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2007, 10:52:20 PM »

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2007, 01:00:13 AM »

But none of this matters because we don't know whose car that is or when the photograph was taken and that his campaign is carbon neutral.

Right, after all, it's ok to put more carbon than the average person as long as you are willing to send money to your own eco-business to buy "credits." 

It's easy to be "eco-green" or whatever the hell you call it when you're a millionaire ambulance chaser.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2007, 03:53:31 PM »

Its kind of like the way scientists who question global warming are immediately branded as shills of the oil industry.

Gabu People like Al Gore want to dramatically reduce energy use by others while he himself uses many times more than the average household. That's blatant hypocrisy and it will most certainly cause thinking people to question his motives and his sincerity.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2007, 04:09:09 PM »

Its kind of like the way scientists who question global warming are immediately branded as shills of the oil industry.

No, this is because the only scientists who are still questioning global warming are funded by the oil companies.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2007, 04:12:06 PM »

Remind me where I did that.

Gabu People like Al Gore want to dramatically reduce energy use by others while he himself uses many times more than the average household. That's blatant hypocrisy and it will most certainly cause thinking people to question his motives and his sincerity.

Of course it's hypocrisy, but being hypocritical doesn't make what a person has to say false.  It just seems like people are more interested in shouting down those saying unpleasant things than actually considering what is being said.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2007, 04:26:59 PM »

Well, you see, the only major scientific organization in the US to oppose the scientific consensus on global warming was the American Association of Petroleum Geologists, at least until this year, and even now they're 'divided' on the issue.
Conan
conan

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2007, 04:39:47 PM »

Carbon neutral  You ever heard of planting trees? This is like imports and exports. He has neither a deficit nor a surplus. He emits carbon dioxide and he takes it back in. You're argument doesn't work.

It's easy to be "eco-green" or whatever the hell you call it when you're a millionaire ambulance chaser.
Let's see if that little girl who almost died/ did die in that defective pool minds if he defended her rights.
But you are right, it's easy to make money when you have money and the same thing with being green. However, everybody can take simple steps that can help and most of the time, money you put into projects doing so actually saves you money in the long run.

You're allowed to use more energy / it's not hypocritical if your energy comes from renewable and clean emission resources. Know the facts
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2007, 04:48:37 PM »

Well, you see, the only major scientific organization in the US to oppose the scientific consensus on global warming was the American Association of Petroleum Geologists, at least until this year, and even now they're 'divided' on the issue.

Here is a list of 60 scientists who don't agree with the anthropogenic warming theory.
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/financialpost/story.html?id=3711460e-bd5a-475d-a6be-4db87559d605

Ebowed if you claim they are oil company shills where is your proof?  Also at least mention the fact that pro-warming researchers receive far more funding from government than the other side receives from all sources.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2007, 05:36:24 PM »

Carbon neutral  You ever heard of planting trees? This is like imports and exports. He has neither a deficit nor a surplus. He emits carbon dioxide and he takes it back in. You're argument doesn't work.

Believe me, I know what carbon neutral means.  The problem is, most of the organzations providing these "credits" are not planting enough trees (or creating/using other forms of renewable energy being put back into the power grid) to off-set the amount of carbon for which those credits are for.  It is one of the biggest scams of the current eco-movement.  For Gore and Edwards, it is a way to buy themselves out of actually practicing what they preach, and they've been called on it.  If Edwards is serious about the SUV issue, he needs to convert his campaign vehicles into sedans and travel on high-occupancy airliners in order to actually reduce his carbon footprint, and not try to buy his way out of the obligation for which they expect others to follow.  Unfortunately, there is no way Edwards could do that and maintain the schedule he needs, which isn't a ding against him, but it does hurt his credibility on the issue.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2007, 06:58:39 PM »

He's right.  And, of course, it won't happen. 
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2007, 10:15:59 AM »

Its kind of like the way scientists who question global warming are immediately branded as being shills of the oil industry.

Remind me where I did that.
I didn't say you did. But others do, and as you can see Memphis proved my point in the post just before yours. Without proof or even a single shred of evidence he branded all skeptics as being funded by oil companies. I rest my case.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Of course it's hypocrisy, but being hypocritical doesn't make what a person has to say false.  It just seems like people are more interested in shouting down those saying unpleasant things than actually considering what is being said.
[/quote]

I have also taken exception to Al Gore's statements. But Gore's hypocrisy does not improve his credibility.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies