American athletes booed at Olympics - all because of Bush.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 11:46:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  American athletes booed at Olympics - all because of Bush.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: American athletes booed at Olympics - all because of Bush.  (Read 7006 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2004, 10:58:41 PM »

I find it quite mind-boggling how nomorelies is able to write such absolutely huge posts about essentially nothing.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2004, 11:16:56 PM »

US dominance in swimming remains unthreatened.  

The Aussies just beat our women in the medley relay. Well, not just, but within the past day. I just watched it 2 hours ago.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2004, 10:02:44 AM »

I find it quite mind-boggling how nomorelies is able to write such absolutely huge posts about essentially nothing.

I totally agree.  Now Americans are evil because we call it soccer?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2004, 12:08:14 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2004, 12:08:37 PM by Philip »

It would be awesome to be booed because of George Bush. I would laugh my ass off.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2004, 01:34:16 PM »

Who cares that they root against us?  Most baseball fans also root against the NY Yankees because they are the most sucessful team.  The U.S has been winning the most medals for a decade and most people root for underdogs.  Romania is also a relatively close nation to Greece.  And if people are booing American atheletes because of Bush's policis then shame on them.  They are entiltled to boo but it is stupid not to separate sports and political beliefs.  Furthermore, the Atlanta attendance was in the 80%'s
according to ESPN.  Another question.  Does the BBC televise alot of Judo events?  No, they wouldn't because Britain does not do well at the sport.  You can find rowing events on MSNBC in the morning hours if you are so inclined. This is a really stupid thread by the way.

Incorrect, we have had quite a bit of coverage of Judo over here Patrick and we aren't that bad at it, we haven't done well but we have a few who are good at it - Craig Faillon was tipped as a possible gold medalist but unfortunately just lost out when he lost concentration in one of the rounds. We also had Katie Howey who won a silver in Sydney and bronze in Barcelona. The BBC has certainly not just been showing events that we are good at, it has shown them but it has shown basketball, tennis and hockey too, none of which we are particularly good at. Table tennis has also received a fair bit of coverage. Yes the equestrian, cycling, sailing and rowing which we excel at have been shown, but they are far from the only events televised.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2004, 05:32:07 PM »

US dominance in swimming remains unthreatened.  

The Aussies just beat our women in the medley relay. Well, not just, but within the past day. I just watched it 2 hours ago.

Good Lord, we lost a race, the world is coming to an end.

Losing one race does not equal loss of dominance.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2004, 06:45:50 AM »

The game is FOOTBALL not SOCCER. stop being rude and have some manners. Your game is gridion not football.
The game is Association Football (Soccer for short).  There were a number of variety of games played on foot.  In the latter part of the 19th century, a group of clubs got together to codify the rules of their game.  Those whose rules did not permit running with the ball called themselves an "association", and their game was football played by the Association rules.   Those who preferred the rules that permitted running with the ball called their organization a "union".  Since they based their rules on those used at Rugby School, it was also called Rugby Union.  The Scottish Football Union did not see a need to add "Rugby" to their name until well into 20th century.

In the US, the variety of football was more akin to soccer, until McGill University challenged Harvard to a pair of matches, one played with each set of rules.  The Harvard team liked the McGill rules which were more rugby-like and adopted them.  Harvard convinced Yale to switch to the new style.  It was at Yale where most of the innovations (scrimmage, downs, and the forward pass) that differentiate football from rugby were developed.   I don't know whether the Skull and Bones society was involved or not.

Interestingly, throughout the English speaking world with the exception of Britain, the predominate form of football is not soccer.  In more egalitarian Canada, US, Australia, Ireland, South Africa and New Zealand everyone was allowed to participate.  In Britain, rugby tended to be played by the poshes from the so-called public schools, while soccer became the sport of the lower class.  The insistence that all the varieties that involve running with the ball are not "football" is some sort of class consciousness adopted by Britons.

"gridiron" and "gridders" is a poetic term akin  to calling basketball players, "cagers".
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2004, 12:50:34 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2004, 12:55:56 PM by Brambila »

What's the link between Bush and nukes, oil, and drugs? What a fallicious statement. I think it's completely ignorant of the Europeans to boo the Americans because they hate Bush. It's not surprising though; Europeans are a lot of times extrememly racist, much more so than Americans, and especially against Jews and Americans. Europeans had a lot against Americans in the past for allowing blacks and Jews into this nation, they kicked the Jews out of their nations and sent them to Israel, and now the ones that live there are being persecuted no differently than in the late 19th and early 20th century. These people are fools.

And what's this? Australia is just as good as America in Swimming? That's ridiculous. Australia is simply more competetive than other nations. Ian Thorpe is not better than Phelps, and in fact I would argue that Phelps is better seeing how Phelps completely cleared Thorpe in most of the races they competed in, and Thorpe only beat Phelps once or twice. The only nation that is really comparable with the US is China, but seeing that China's population is five times our size, it's no wonder.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2004, 01:07:14 PM »

What's the link between Bush and nukes, oil, and drugs? What a fallicious statement. I think it's completely ignorant of the Europeans to boo the Americans because they hate Bush. It's not surprising though; Europeans are a lot of times extrememly racist, much more so than Americans, and especially against Jews and Americans. Europeans had a lot against Americans in the past for allowing blacks and Jews into this nation, they kicked the Jews out of their nations and sent them to Israel, and now the ones that live there are being persecuted no differently than in the late 19th and early 20th century. These people are fools.

And what's this? Australia is just as good as America in Swimming? That's ridiculous. Australia is simply more competetive than other nations. Ian Thorpe is not better than Phelps, and in fact I would argue that Phelps is better seeing how Phelps completely cleared Thorpe in most of the races they competed in, and Thorpe only beat Phelps once or twice. The only nation that is really comparable with the US is China, but seeing that China's population is five times our size, it's no wonder.

Why assume they are all Europeans, the Olympics are competed in by people from all over the world, you are stereotyping so much in that post it is unbelievable, believe it or not, not every European hates George W. Bush, you cannot take nomorelies as an example of your average European.

I find it ironic that you are saying that Europeans are incredibly racist towards those of Afro-Carribean descent considering the fact that they have been treated equally (in Britain at least) for a lot longer than they have been in the USA. The US army was only desegregated in 1948, the British army far earlier (don't deny this, it is one of the reasons that black Americans became so active in a quest for equality as they were stationed in Britain and treated equally). It is also interesting to note that in the USA some schools were still segregated into the 1960s whereas they most certainly were not in the UK.

Also the nations of Europe did not kick the Jews out, many Jewish families CHOSE to go to Israel as it is the promised home of the Jews. Yes the Jews were persecuted under Nazi Germany but that is hardly representative of the whole of Europe, the nations of Europe could have done more to help their plight and should have, something I deplore them for, but you cannot say that they actively went round kicking the Jews out of their nations.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2004, 01:29:10 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2004, 01:30:30 PM by Brambila »

I knew some European was going to be insulted by my post and misread it. As I said, Europeans a lot of times are racists. I never said all Europeans are racist, I never said most Europeans are racist, I said a lot of Europeans are racist, more so than Americans. I never said that all Europeans hate Bush.

When I say Europeans, I don't mean Brits. Britain is not in Europe.  Europeans meaning specifically the Germans (Freed terrorist in Munich Massacre; anti-semitic party), the French (Le Pen, enough said), and the Spanish (historically anti-semitic, anti-basque, and anti-arab, though recently it's been more welcome). I don't think that British are racist (or at least I havn't seen anything that implies such), but I do think that many mainland Europeans are.

As far as Europe goes, the Jews wanted a homeland, but the non-semitic Europeans are the ones who were modivated, otherwise the creation of Israel would have never happened. Literally thousands of Jews were FORCED to leave their homes in Europe and the Middle East and go to Israel- it was not entirely by choice. Europeans did not want Jews in Europe.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2004, 04:40:43 PM »

I used to like Bush, but our athletes got booed because of him?

I'm now a Democrat.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2004, 04:45:46 PM »

I used to like Bush, but our athletes got booed because of him?

I'm now a Democrat.

Now that's a good reason to switch! Our athletes have NEVER been booed before! It MUST be Bush's fault.

*assumes both are being sarcastic* Wink
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2004, 05:04:41 AM »

I used to be a Republican, but then I tripped and fell and it was all Bush's fault.  Sad
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2004, 01:44:22 PM »

I used to be a Republican, but then I tripped and fell and it was all Bush's fault.  Sad

Did you suffer any injuries.  The plan called for minor to moderate injuries.

If you suffered no injuries we will haev to go to plan B, a solid whack in the family name, if you know what I mean.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2004, 03:44:22 PM »

Did you suffer any injuries.  The plan called for minor to moderate injuries.

If you suffered no injuries we will haev to go to plan B, a solid whack in the family name, if you know what I mean.

Now that's just plain cruel Wink
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies