Favorite Foreign Leader (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:17:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Favorite Foreign Leader (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Favorite Foreign Leader  (Read 10032 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« on: July 27, 2004, 06:39:59 AM »

Phil, Phil...what have we said about Silvio? Tongue

He isn't even an effective conservative. Despite leading a stable government, I think it has survived longer than any other Italian government since Mussolini, he has failed to do anything about Italy's abysmal, over-regulated economy. He's a mafia type who refuses to allow criticism against him be aired on the channels he control, about 95% of all Italian tv.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 07:33:03 AM »

Most foreign leaders are neither good nor bad...I would say Blair's pretty good though. But politicians should never be allowed to gain our trust too much...
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 08:28:45 PM »

But for his conservative voice and his stronger leadership (Italy's Olive Tree coalition was defeated in a landslide in 2001 for a reason ya know)

That reason being him owning pretty much all tv... Tongue
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 04:22:50 AM »

Any of the W European leaders (Berlusconi, Blair, Howard, and Aznar) who went against the grain and supported the liberation of Iraq.

Howard isn't W. European, he's Australian. Smiley

Whatever. Smiley

Add Koizumi to the list of leaders of industrial countries that backed us.

You're being too one-sided...the Iraq war isn't all that matters. Aznar I do like, but Berlusconi has so many negatives...his coalition is largely a continuation of Mussolini, but more mafia-style... Tongue
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 05:06:34 AM »

Is this from an American perspective? If it's from an American point of view I say former PM José Maria Aznar, my personal hero. If I am talking about leaders outside of my country then it is probably Bush because he sticks to his principles and does not care what others think of him. I disagreed with his war but I think that he believed what he was doing was right.

Yeah, I like Aznar a lot.. he really stuck his neck out on Iraq issue, for someone from a fairly left-leaning Continental nation.  Also, from what little I know of him he's done a good job with some moderate economic liberalization in Spain.

True. I like Aznar too...except for lying about the terrorist attacks they experienced. Tongue

He's a lot better than Berlusconi whom some of you Republicans have down as your hero... Wink
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2004, 08:34:03 AM »

But for his conservative voice and his stronger leadership (Italy's Olive Tree coalition was defeated in a landslide in 2001 for a reason ya know)

That reason being him owning pretty much all tv... Tongue
Actually the main reason was the Election Law and the fact that the Left didn't put up the sort of united candidacies it supports...DiPietro and the Old-Style Communists between them made Berlusconi PM.

Oh, I was having my tounge out when I said that...look! Wink
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies