Senators for Attorney General?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:00:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Senators for Attorney General?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of these two is more likely to be selected as Bush's nominee for Attorney General?
Senator Orrin Hatch (R-UT)

Senator John Cornyn (R-TX)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Senators for Attorney General?  (Read 1264 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 01, 2007, 10:52:09 AM »

Now that Attorney General Alberto Gonzales has stepped down effective 17th September, the Bush White House is reportedly considering two Republican Senators as potential replacements.  They are named as Orrin Hatch of Utah and John Cornyn of Texas.  While both are seen as relative long-shots, who is more likely to be chosen?

Personally I think Bush does choose a nominee from the Senate, it is more likely to be Hatch for a number of reasons.  Cornyn faces re-election next year and the President is unlikely to want to intervene in a Republican re-election campaign; Gonzales came from Texas and his appointment and subsuquent term smacked of cronyism - another nominee from Texas would be seen as possibly obdurate.  Furthermore, I would say that given the confirmation is likely to be difficult, Bush would consider choosing someone from the Senate in order to possibly ease the process - in the past Harry Reid has given the White House a list of names acceptable as Supreme Court nominees, several of whom were Republican Senators, including, I believe, Hatch and Cornyn.  Hatch has been in the Senate for thirty years and is known to have closer ties to senior Democrats than Cornyn, whom I think many Democrats regard as a typical conservative Republican.  Finally, Hatch is a man in his early-seventies drawing towards the end of his career; he could end it as Attorney General, whereas Cornyn is still only in his first term as a Senator and is relatively youthful in his mid-fifties. 
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 01:15:41 PM »

Jeff Sessions would make the best choice.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 01:20:10 PM »

the best qualified sitting senator in jon kyl.  but az has a democrat governor.

id prefer ex-senator john danforth.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 01:21:07 PM »

Now that Attorney General Alberto Gonzales has stepped down effective 17th September, the Bush White House is reportedly considering two Republican Senators as potential replacements.  They are named as Orrin Hatch of Utah and John Cornyn of Texas.  While both are seen as relative long-shots, who is more likely to be chosen?

Personally I think Bush does choose a nominee from the Senate, it is more likely to be Hatch for a number of reasons.  Cornyn faces re-election next year and the President is unlikely to want to intervene in a Republican re-election campaign; Gonzales came from Texas and his appointment and subsuquent term smacked of cronyism - another nominee from Texas would be seen as possibly obdurate.  Furthermore, I would say that given the confirmation is likely to be difficult, Bush would consider choosing someone from the Senate in order to possibly ease the process - in the past Harry Reid has given the White House a list of names acceptable as Supreme Court nominees, several of whom were Republican Senators, including, I believe, Hatch and Cornyn.  Hatch has been in the Senate for thirty years and is known to have closer ties to senior Democrats than Cornyn, whom I think many Democrats regard as a typical conservative Republican.  Finally, Hatch is a man in his early-seventies drawing towards the end of his career; he could end it as Attorney General, whereas Cornyn is still only in his first term as a Senator and is relatively youthful in his mid-fifties. 

How about Lieberman? He would give the Republicans a pickup in terms of a Senate Seat.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 01:24:11 PM »

AZ is one of those states where the Democratic governor has to select a Republican replacement from a list who would be voted at the next general election slot.

Nonetheless, I can't see one of these Senators wanting a job that'll last another 16 months at the most, unless they really want to retire or go into private practice anyways.

Lieberman is not leaving the Senate.  lol  He has plenty of power there, Kevin, moreso than Justice.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 02:17:13 PM »

AZ is one of those states where the Democratic governor has to select a Republican replacement from a list who would be voted at the next general election slot.

Nonetheless, I can't see one of these Senators wanting a job that'll last another 16 months at the most, unless they really want to retire or go into private practice anyways.

Lieberman is not leaving the Senate.  lol  He has plenty of power there, Kevin, moreso than Justice.

So does Hatch.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 02:19:45 PM »

Danforth's name has been floating around. Whatever Danforth does, he gets things done.

I also heard Slade Gorton's name is also being tossed around though I think he's over 80 years old.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 09:30:43 PM »

I'm putting my chips behind that go-getter Harriet Miers.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 10:10:42 PM »

She'd do a heck of a job!
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 10:50:13 AM »

She'd do a heck of a job!

I think she would be a fine AG HOWEVER, her closeness to Bush and her past nomination to the Supreme Court is going to make it a rough nomination process for her.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies