What kind of party coalitions would explain this map?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:32:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  What kind of party coalitions would explain this map?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What kind of party coalitions would explain this map?  (Read 2056 times)
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 01, 2007, 07:11:48 PM »

So what kind of party coalitions for the dems/GOP would explan this map?

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 10:58:46 PM »

Populists (D) v. Libertarians (R)? Or just voting on economics? Though Minnesota and DC would probably be Populist, and Utah more libertarian.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 12:36:43 AM »

Populists and Libertarians are part of it but how would the rest of the political spectrum have aligned to fit the electoral map?
RBH

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 01:29:17 AM »

A populist non-Mormon Democratic governor of Utah faces off against a Yankee Republican?
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 05:30:05 AM »
« Edited: September 02, 2007, 05:47:16 AM by King Porter Stomp »

Populists (D) v. Libertarians (R)? Or just voting on economics? Though Minnesota and DC would probably be Populist, and Utah more libertarian.
Utah is anything but Libertarian. I'm guessing this GOP has a strong Progressive wing, which would explain why Minnesota looks the way it does.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 06:05:25 AM »

My guess is that this is a GOP where the Moderate, Liberal, and Libertarian Wings never really declined. Either that, or the neo-Cons and Religious Right have both been purged. In other words, my kind of Republican Party.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 05:22:19 PM »

My guess is that this is a GOP where the Moderate, Liberal, and Libertarian Wings never really declined. Either that, or the neo-Cons and Religious Right have both been purged. In other words, my kind of Republican Party.

Actually, neo-Cons wouldn't be at all uncomfortable in the party where Moderate, Liberal, and Libertarian wings never declined, but the Religious Rigth was purged - if anything, they'd be very happy. Nor would they be controversial enough (in an absence of a badly going war) to be purged on their own. And, should be pointed out, they'd actually be helpful in gaining certain segments of coastal itelligentsia, making the proposed map easier to achieve.  Don't foget, neo-Cons frequently come of the Dem backgrounds - there is a reason for that.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 08:02:20 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2007, 08:08:18 PM by King Porter Stomp »

Actually, neo-Cons wouldn't be at all uncomfortable in the party where Moderate, Liberal, and Libertarian wings never declined, but the Religious Rigth was purged - if anything, they'd be very happy. Nor would they be controversial enough (in an absence of a badly going war) to be purged on their own. And, should be pointed out, they'd actually be helpful in gaining certain segments of coastal itelligentsia, making the proposed map easier to achieve.  Don't foget, neo-Cons frequently come of the Dem backgrounds - there is a reason for that.
If they were purged now, it would probably be in response to Iraq or a similar widespread failure.

When I think of the modern neo-Con agenda I think of basically social conservatism, borrow-and-spend economic policies and a belligerent vaguely Wilsonian foreign policy. Neo-conservatism has really only thrived because it's hatched an uneasy alliance with the Religious Conservatives, who have similar views towards the acceptability of using the federal government (i.e. "big government") to advance conservatism, the role of the US military (and Israel), etc.

Of course, I could see something like old-school Kirkpatrick-style neo-Conservatism emerging in a no-Goldwater GOP. But I was thinking more along the lines of Fred Barnes than her.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 08:59:16 PM »

The Neocons sound pretty damn populistic to me.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 08:42:12 PM »

State's Rights Democrats/Blue Collar Democrats v. Liberal Republicans/Conservative Republicans.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 12:02:03 AM »

The unborn against the undead?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 12:09:22 AM »

Lowell Weicker / Jim Jeffords  (R) vs. Mark Pryor / Brad Henry (D)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 11:32:32 AM »

Utah is anything but Libertarian.

Actually it does have some Libertarian leanings. See here: https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?f=0&fips=49&elect=0&off=60&year=1984
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies