U.S. getting ready to bomb Iran?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 09:53:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  U.S. getting ready to bomb Iran?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: U.S. getting ready to bomb Iran?  (Read 3792 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 02, 2007, 02:19:25 PM »

I sure hope not.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article2369001.ece

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/09/02/wiran102.xml
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 02:25:05 PM »

"From a marketing point of view, you don't introduce new products in August.''

Well, August is over. There's also this diary at DailyKos, though it should probably be taken with a grain of salt.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2007/9/1/183018/1527
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 02:28:30 PM »

These articles seem to be showing up all over the place all of sudden. Very scary indeed.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 02:33:08 PM »

It's not going to happen, but even if it did, it'd be a made-for-TV war without anything big actually occurring. Sort of like the US/UK bombings of Iraq in the 1990s.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 02:33:30 PM »

I still have faith that the congress would prevent this. They know the Iraq war is unpopular, and I'd assume at most only 30 percent of the country would support an attack on Iran. If the Democrats would fold on this issue, I think it's time for everyone who believes in a less confrontational foreign policy to form their own party.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 08:25:29 PM »

It's not going to happen, but even if it did, it'd be a made-for-TV war without anything big actually occurring. Sort of like the US/UK bombings of Iraq in the 1990s.

Well at least I hope so. The thought of trying to invade and occupy Iran is quite frightening. It would make Iraq look like paradise in comparison.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 10:32:22 PM »

If Bush attacks Iran, it will be because Pelosi and Reid have enabled Bush. This country would have been better off with another Republican Congress then their utter failure.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 11:08:43 PM »

Ah, that's just what this country needs...... another unnecessary war it can't win.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 12:32:46 AM »

Ah, that's just what this country needs...... another unnecessary war it can't win.

Boy, Americans really have given up their spines. Such a war WILL become necessary once Iran acquires nuclear weapons, especially considering they have no fear of using them.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 08:45:15 AM »

Who cares if Iran gets nukes? I don't. If they wipe Israel out? Well not like I cry many tears for ISrael.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 09:07:14 AM »

Who cares if Iran gets nukes? I don't. If they wipe Israel out? Well not like I cry many tears for ISrael.

So you don't care if several million people die?
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 09:09:13 AM »

When faced with the prospect of a generalized middle east sunni/shiite war(which is a massive quagmire to make Vietnam look winnable) which would kill FAR more people than Israel being nuked would pretty much yeah. I don't want either option but I can live with the first option ALOT better than I can the second.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2007, 11:24:45 AM »

When faced with the prospect of a generalized middle east sunni/shiite war(which is a massive quagmire to make Vietnam look winnable) which would kill FAR more people than Israel being nuked would pretty much yeah. I don't want either option but I can live with the first option ALOT better than I can the second.

Yeah - but Israel getting nuked would have vast Biblical ramifications, not to mention the U.S. would get involved b/c our alliance is too close not to.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2007, 01:34:03 PM »

Heralding the return of baby Jesus?
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2007, 01:34:48 PM »

^^ Yes, because we need to let the Rapture and Armageddon to happen. Bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb Iran, as McCain says. What a pity his chances are next to zero.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2007, 01:40:57 PM »

Yeah - but Israel getting nuked would have vast Biblical ramifications, not to mention the U.S. would get involved b/c our alliance is too close not to.
The bible is fiction.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2007, 02:19:32 PM »

Two counter-points:

1. If Iran nuked Israel, then Iran would probably be nuked back.

2. The vast majority of the Bible is not fiction. The historical events in it really happened and in many cases are backed up by other historians.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2007, 07:49:35 PM »

Iran poses no serious threat to Israel.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2007, 07:55:22 PM »

Boy, Americans really have given up their spines. Such a war WILL become necessary once Iran acquires nuclear weapons, especially considering they have no fear of using them.

Of course they fear using them. They know if they did such a thing the U.S. would wipe them off the map.

Anyway if you want to fight Iran, go ahead. We won't stop you.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2007, 07:56:42 PM »

Al, c'mon revelations is fiction and both of us know that.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2007, 08:30:42 PM »

Heralding the return of baby Jesus?

No, the end times - either that or setting the end times back a few hundred years, until Israel recovers again.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2007, 08:48:45 PM »

Two counter-points:

1. If Iran nuked Israel, then Iran would probably be nuked back.

There are reports that Israel has three submarines on constant patrol in the Persian Gulf, all of which carry nuclear weapons.

Obviously Iran getting nuked would have vast Homeric ramifications.

Seriously you're such a crackpot, is this the bull that they feed you in those "Christian Academies"? Also what the hell is good about the end times. It seems like you are wishing for everyone on Earth to have seven years of horrible pain and suffering and tortures beyond imagination. Who could actively support that type of pain for his fellow man, especially one who hasn't done anything wrong beyond not believe in your own warped view of Christianity. Not much difference between you and Ahmadinejad when you strip away the veneer.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2007, 10:32:53 PM »

To be perfectly honest, I think there’s a good chance that Iran and other countries in the Middle East would attack Israel at the first opportunity. Here’s the thing though, if they did such a thing, there’d be a tremendous backlash against them. The world won’t just sit by and allow Iran to destroy Israel and commit mass genocide on all its inhabitants. And more to the point, while I favor Israel over the entirely evil theocrats that dominate much of the region, I don’t really have much love for either side. Frankly, any religious state makes me uneasy, and I really don’t like us legitimizing any of them.  And even if Iran does want to destroy Israel, I don’t think they’d advance any further then that. Frankly, for all I care they can set up their little caliphate sh**thole or whatever over the entire middle east, as long as they leave the rest of us alone [the minute they attack us, I‘m all for retaliating.] I just think we should let Israel fend for itself over there.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2007, 11:05:02 PM »

Also what the hell is good about the end times. It seems like you are wishing for everyone on Earth to have seven years of horrible pain and suffering and tortures beyond imagination. Who could actively support that type of pain for his fellow man, especially one who hasn't done anything wrong beyond not believe in your own warped view of Christianity. Not much difference between you and Ahmadinejad when you strip away the veneer.

If you can believe that those who are not saved deserve eternal torment in hell, that's pretty much just a mild version of that.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2007, 11:44:36 PM »

If Israel and Iran do decide to start nuking each other, I hope they don't go around nuking Jerusalem and Tehran and the like. Not only is that millions of dead people, that a hell of a lot of history for a bunch of fundamentalist idiots to ruin for the rest of us.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies