3 arrested in Germany over alleged attack plots on Frankfurt airport, U.S. base
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:36:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  3 arrested in Germany over alleged attack plots on Frankfurt airport, U.S. base
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 3 arrested in Germany over alleged attack plots on Frankfurt airport, U.S. base  (Read 1318 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 05, 2007, 03:19:49 AM »

BERLIN - Three suspected Islamic militants were arrested on allegations of plotting attacks on the U.S. military base in Ramstein and Frankfurt’s international airport, German authorities said Wednesday.

“There was an imminent threat,” German Defense Minister Franz Josef Jung told Germany’s ARD broadcaster.

Jung told ARD broadcaster the three men were suspected of targeting the airport and base, while prosecutors said only that they had arrested three suspected members of “an Islamic-motivated terrorist organization.”

The Sudwestrundfunk public broadcaster reported that two suspects had German citizenship while the third was Pakistani. It also said the men were arrested Tuesday evening and were close to carrying out the attacks.

Major transport hub for U.S. military
Thousands of U.S. servicemen and women are stationed with their families in Germany, which hosts key installations including the Ramstein Air Base, Landstuhl Regional Medical Center and Grafenwoehr training center in Bavaria.

The Ramstein base is in the western state of Rhineland-Palatinate and serves as a major transport hub for the U.S. military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. Frankfurt’s international airport is one of continental Europe’s busiest.

German and U.S. officials have warned of the possibility of a terrorist attack, and security measures have been raised, they said.

s.c.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20596911/
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 05:48:16 AM »

A small update, since I just watched the press conference with the German Attorney General and the director of the Federal Criminal Police.

The three suspects happen to be a Turk and two Germans (apparently Muslim converts)... the leader of the cell is a guy, and this is no joke, named "Fritz G."

All three belong to a group called "Islamic Jihad Union", originally a organization from Uzbekistan, which expanded operations to other countries in Asia and Europe only recently.

Contrary to what the media or the defense minister claimed, no specific targets are confirmed yet and it is also unknown whether the three suspects had already chosen a target at this point. However, the authorities assume that they aimed at American facilities in Germany, most likely U.S. military installations.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 12:09:32 PM »

Spiegel online claims (as one of five possible targets, the others all being US military installations) the US army's Rhein Main airbase - which since 2005 has been permanently closed down, and which will be built up and incorporated into the civilian airport in the future, but where currently nothing at all is happening. Not a worthwhile terrorist target, unless you care about not actually hurting anybody.

Oh yeah, and they were arrested in the village of Medebach, for which the road my father lives on is named.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 12:13:15 PM »

Oh yeah, and they were arrested in the village of Medebach, for which the road my father lives on is named.

Actually, I know someone who lives in Medebach and spent some days there last year. Never saw any terrorists, but plenty of cows.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 12:37:30 PM »

Actually, I know someone who lives in Medebach and spent some days there last year. Never saw any terrorists, but plenty of cows.
The cows were terrorists in disguise.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 01:05:09 PM »

Moo-slims
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 02:42:07 PM »

Moo-slims
No. This isn`t India; our cows are not "slim".
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies