The Hill: Tsongas and Ogonowski win in Mass. special primary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:18:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Hill: Tsongas and Ogonowski win in Mass. special primary
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Hill: Tsongas and Ogonowski win in Mass. special primary  (Read 3850 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2007, 11:37:00 PM »

Im going to say this right now.  I think this race is going to be a lot closer than people expect.  Democrats are overconfident in victory here and it looks as if the NRCC is running an under the radar campaign to take this seat.  I can say one thing, if Democrats lose this district or come even close to doing so, its over for them.  They will get a beating in 2008 bigger than they got back in 1980 with Jimmy Carter.

That's ridiculous times ten.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2007, 11:44:25 PM »

Im going to say this right now.  I think this race is going to be a lot closer than people expect.  Democrats are overconfident in victory here and it looks as if the NRCC is running an under the radar campaign to take this seat.  I can say one thing, if Democrats lose this district or come even close to doing so, its over for them.  They will get a beating in 2008 bigger than they got back in 1980 with Jimmy Carter.

What part is ridiculous?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2007, 12:00:59 AM »
« Edited: September 08, 2007, 12:19:30 AM by Verily »

What part is ridiculous?

The whole thing. The Massachusetts Republican Party doesn't have the resources to run an overt campaign, let alone an under-the-radar campaign, which actually requires a lot more effort (though less money). The NRCC has completely written the seat off: all they could do would be to run ads or give Ogonowski money, and they're doing neither.

Ogonowski will knock on some doors in his hometown while Tsongas travels across the district shaking hands with everyone, and she'll win in a landslide. That's the way elections work in one-party states.

The best Ogonowski can hope for is to hold Tsongas under 60%.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2007, 03:57:21 PM »

What part is ridiculous?

The part where Tsongas doesn't win comfortably.  It's not a seat the GOP can win, and even if they were able to win it, it's not a seat the GOP can hold.  Why bother?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2007, 04:44:39 PM »

What part is ridiculous?

The part where Tsongas doesn't win comfortably.  It's not a seat the GOP can win, and even if they were able to win it, it's not a seat the GOP can hold.  Why bother?

I agree with you that they almost certainly would lose the seat in 2008, but the Republicans are doing everything in their power to embarass Democrats in the short term.  Winning this seat would do it easily.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2007, 05:17:29 PM »

What part is ridiculous?

I agree with you that they almost certainly would lose the seat in 2008, but the Republicans are doing everything in their power to embarass Democrats in the short term.  Winning this seat would do it easily.

I suppose we can agree that winning this seat would prove embarassing for Democrats, but the last time Republicans had a shot at winning a MA Special Election for Congress was in 2001, and they actually had a good candidate: State Senator Jo Ann Sprague.

She lost by, like, 30 or whatever.  It's Massachusetts.  There's just no real Republican infrastructure to make even an upset like this one theoretically possible.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2007, 05:42:47 PM »

What part is ridiculous?

I suppose we can agree that winning this seat would prove embarassing for Democrats, but the last time Republicans had a shot at winning a MA Special Election for Congress was in 2001, and they actually had a good candidate: State Senator Jo Ann Sprague.

She lost by, like, 30 or whatever.  It's Massachusetts.  There's just no real Republican infrastructure to make even an upset like this one theoretically possible.

I don't know if this means anything, but the Republican candidate has more than twice as many facebook freinds as the Democrat does.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2007, 03:19:40 AM »

I know if it means anything!
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2007, 02:28:43 PM »

What part is ridiculous?

I don't know if this means anything, but the Republican candidate has more than twice as many facebook freinds as the Democrat does.

By that sort of standard than Ron Paul is the hands down favorite to win the GOP nomination.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2007, 04:17:11 PM »

im just glad fred smerlas didnt run for this seat.

the mass gop is already a big joke, we dont need him bringing it down even more.

ive had enough of him and his remarks about 'devil' patrick.   
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2007, 07:52:48 PM »

Rumor has it is that there is a WBZ poll that shows Tsongas up 22.  Thats an awful lot of ground for  Ogonowski to make up in just a month. 
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2007, 11:29:46 PM »

I just saw an Ogonowski bumper sticker today.

I was absolutely stunned that his campaign was organized enough to have ordered bumper stickers.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2007, 01:11:57 PM »

I was absolutely stunned that his campaign was organized enough to have ordered bumper stickers.

I saw a sign for him in the Salisbury Beach area back in July.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2007, 07:38:20 PM »

Wow, it looks like I was right about Democrats being overconfident here.  A Survey USA poll only shows Tsongas up 10%.  Keep in mind that this is a district that voted for John Kerry by 17% and Al Gore by 20%.  The DCCC would be smart to start running attack ads against Ogonowski now that link him to the Conservative Republican leadership in Washington.  If Democrats lose this seat, they are in BIG, BIG trouble in 2008. 
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2007, 11:26:40 PM »

I saw a sign for him in the Salisbury Beach area back in July.

i keep seeing a car in the stop and shop parking lot in somerville with a bush/cheney bumper sticker.

i wish i knew who owned that vehicle.  id like to shake his/her hand!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies