WA-8: Rodney Tom (D) Backs Out of Congressional Race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:53:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WA-8: Rodney Tom (D) Backs Out of Congressional Race
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WA-8: Rodney Tom (D) Backs Out of Congressional Race  (Read 1048 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 05, 2007, 04:18:57 PM »

Rodney Tom backs out of 8th District congressional race

By NEIL MODIE
P-I REPORTER

State Sen. Rodney Tom abandoned the 8th District congressional race Wednesday and endorsed his rival for the Democratic nomination, Darcy Burner, who is reprising her 2006 campaign against Republican Rep. Dave Reichert.

The Medina lawmaker's surprising withdrawal, seven weeks after announcing his candidacy, ended his effort to cast himself as a political moderate more in tune with the suburban, increasingly Democrat-leaning district than Burner, a favorite of anti-Iraq war activists and liberal political bloggers. The suburban district encompasses most of the eastern parts of King and Pierce counties.

"Our fundraising was going great, but Darcy Burner's campaign has been phenomenal," Tom said in an e-mailed statement. "Darcy has over 3,200 contributors, an incredible statement to her broad base of support."

Tom, 44, said his "purpose from the start was to replace the current congressman with someone who actually represents the values of the 8th District. Dave Reichert is completely out of step with the values shared in this district. Darcy burner's campaign has proven they have the leadership, strength and momentum to win next November."
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 04:36:40 PM »

And the winner of the Democratic Party primary is Dave Reichert.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 04:38:25 PM »

Not good. If Burner couldn't win in 2006 then I don't think she'll be able to win in 2008. Rodney Tom fits the district much better and would have mostly likely taken out Reichert. While Burner will indeed make it a close election, I cannot say that I think she will win. I would also suspect many of Burner's "supporters" are infact in Seattle - in the 7th district.

I will of course support Darcy Burner, though, and hope she manages to take down the 8th Reich.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 06:29:21 PM »

Reichert seems pretty reasonable for a Republican

Dave
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 06:54:06 PM »

Reichert seems pretty reasonable for a Republican

Dave

He's not. I thought that way to, but only votes moderately on occasion. He's better than some, but he is still a Republican.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 06:57:54 PM »

Not good. If Burner couldn't win in 2006 then I don't think she'll be able to win in 2008. Rodney Tom fits the district much better and would have mostly likely taken out Reichert. While Burner will indeed make it a close election, I cannot say that I think she will win. I would also suspect many of Burner's "supporters" are infact in Seattle - in the 7th district.

I will of course support Darcy Burner, though, and hope she manages to take down the 8th Reich.

2008 should be even better for Democrats running in Dem leaning districts.  The electorate is almost always more Democratic in Presidential years and Burner should be helped by the boost in Democratic turnout.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 08:08:16 PM »

Interestingly, Reichert's predecessor also died today.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 08:44:31 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2007, 11:30:35 PM by Alcon »

2008 should be even better for Democrats running in Dem leaning districts.  The electorate is almost always more Democratic in Presidential years and Burner should be helped by the boost in Democratic turnout.

This is a newly Democratic district, though.  People still like the idea of the split ticket in the KingCo 'burbs.  With Gregoire on the ticket, someone's going to be somewhat affected.  It may very well be Burner (although likely Gregoire too).

And this district does contain an underestimated, fast-growing chunk of Pierce County that leans pretty Republican.  The part of the 8th in King County is pretty solidified Dem by this point.  That's only partly where the race is won, though.

Jennifer Dunn dead from unexpected pulmonary embolism at 66
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 09:12:39 PM »

darn...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies