I have a question for Atlas's pro-lifers..
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:09:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  I have a question for Atlas's pro-lifers..
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: I have a question for Atlas's pro-lifers..  (Read 8897 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2007, 07:19:47 AM »

Protestantism-90% opposed but there are fringe groups who support abortion rights

Where are you getting these numbers?  They're complete nonsense.  More than 10% of Protestants support abortion rights.  Why do you think at least 45%+ of the US is pro-choice?

Anyway, if abortion is wrong regardless of whether you're religious, consider that polling indicates that up to 75% of American agnostics and atheists are pro-choice, indicating that many pro-life arguments are theological, and not scientific.  Regardless, many non-religious people may personally oppose abortion, but do not feel the need to legislate their beliefs on others, which is the central focus of this entire debate.

Since when do political arguments need to be scientific? THere is nothing inherently scientific about being pro-choice. It's merely typical of people with a certain kind of amoralist belief system to kid themselves that their set of beliefs and positions is somehow more objective than other peoples'.

Yeah, you think I'm amoral and disgusting.  I get it.

Reasons to oppose abortion may be scientific, philosophical, or logical; I was merely saying that I did not feel theological ones to be relevant when legislating was concerned.  I mentioned only science since this poster doesn't seem to be able to defend his arguments very well and I'm throwing him a bone by giving him the easiest angle (science) from which to defend the pro-life viewpoint.

I didn't say you were either amoral nor disgusting. You seem to be very sensitive to everything I post and I don't really understand that. Almost every post of yours in a debate ridicules or displays condescension to someone and when I point out what I percieve as a minor flaw in one of your arguments you react like you've been mortally offended? I could have said that my post was throwing you a bone because you didn't seem to be able to defend our arguments very well, but I don't do that sort of thing.

Now, I don't see why theological arguments would be less valid than a lot of other arguments used in political legislation, given that most legislation is, at least to an extent, based on some form of moral values which do not necessarily posses and scientific or rational under-pinning. Thus, my question still stands.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2007, 12:46:58 PM »

We at least in the US(Europe still has state funded churches) have a constitution mandating church and state being seperate. That's where Elbowed's issues with theological arguments comes from.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2007, 05:21:06 PM »

Sweden also doesn't have state mandated churches. And that isn't really relevant to the discussion either.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies