I have a question for Atlas's pro-lifers.. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:10:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  I have a question for Atlas's pro-lifers.. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I have a question for Atlas's pro-lifers..  (Read 8906 times)
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« on: September 07, 2007, 05:37:05 PM »

Now I know that most pro-life people are like "life starts at conception". So what happens in the event of a miscarriage? so does the woman go to hell for "murdering her baby"? After all if life begins at conception a miscarried fetus DOEs have a soul...
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 05:43:44 PM »

So you're saying that if a murderer repents 5 minutes before they go to the chair they go to heaven?
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 05:45:40 PM »

So you're saying that if a murderer repents 5 minutes before they go to the chair they go to heaven?

If it's a TRUE repentence, then absolutely.
Then what's the point of eternal punishment for murder? I remember the 10 commandments saying "thou shalt not kill" as one...
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 05:49:32 PM »

If it's a TRUE repentence, then absolutely.
Then what's the point of eternal punishment for murder? I remember the 10 commandments saying "thou shalt not kill" as one...

Because if people don't repent of any of the commandments in the bible (not just the 10), they go to Hell for eternity - but if somebody repents, God promises to forgive them.
So basically mass murderers and dictators get a free pass for being Christian? So basically Hitler is in heaven but billions of decent people are burning in hell according to the Christian worldview? That's a pretty screwed up and offensive worldview then.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 05:54:12 PM »

There was no thread in which this specific question would fit in. That and I wanted a viewpoint from another pro-lifer besides you(since you're patrolling the abortion threads).
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 06:40:44 PM »

That's scientifically impossible.

Emergency contraception can prevent the implantation of a zygote into the uterus, but it cannot affect an embryo or fetus.  Pregnancy begins at implantation anyway, not conception.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 09:09:49 PM »

This silly argument is no more silly than what pro-lifers come up with.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 10:16:15 AM »

What if Mary aborted Jesus? Think about that.
World history from then on doesn't resemble ours at all. For one, Rome probably endures like China.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 11:50:34 AM »

What if Mary aborted Jesus? Think about that.
World history from then on doesn't resemble ours at all. For one, Rome probably endures like China.

While I despise religion, it was not the main reason for the fall of the western empire.
It wasn't the main reason but it helped.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 01:29:44 PM »

Now I know that most pro-life people are like "life starts at conception". So what happens in the event of a miscarriage? so does the woman go to hell for "murdering her baby"? After all if life begins at conception a miscarried fetus DOEs have a soul...

Uhh...murder implies an intentional mental state, in most circumstances, you have to intend to kill to commit murder (of course, some forms of extreme recklessness could also fall into the murder category).

All other issues of this debate aside (ie is a miscarriage a crime, of any sort, for pro-lifers), your premise, on its face is flawed.
My premise is no less flawed than the "arguments" pro-lifers use to advocate their hatred of women.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 01:34:20 PM »

Inks, the fetus isn't viable until its born so I presume that means you're pro-choice now? You're all about "protecting viable lives" so..
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 08:02:23 PM »

Abortion is wrong. Plain and Simple.

(Exceptions:Mother's life is in danger, Incest.
No it's not. What is wrong is overpopulation.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 07:53:07 AM »

Complete BS. I meant viable as in can live without medical support. Try again.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 01:31:05 PM »

If there was a god she wouldn't care about something minor like one world out of many with life. She'd have bigger things to care about.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2007, 05:02:56 PM »

If there was a god she wouldn't care about something minor like one world out of many with life. She'd have bigger things to care about.
lol, it so stupid i have to laugh at it.
My posts are VIP quality as I am merely a humble man and here to learn. But seriously why would a deity give a damn about what goes on here? It'd be like a human caring endlessly about a small colony of bacteria. As in ridiculous.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 11:59:06 AM »

Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2007, 07:26:08 PM »

Viability is a medical determination, not a philosophical or religious one.  It varies from pregnancy to pregnancy, I should point out as well.  But there is no such thing as a viable zygote.

This is true, though it would be amusing for someone to argue otherwise.
Indeed.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2007, 09:02:17 AM »

Yes, but you are basing your interest in it on theological principle, not the public good.

Define public - are the unborn "public?"
The unborn are parasites until they're born.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2007, 11:30:55 PM »

"What about rape?" - It's not the child's fault - dont' punish the innocent 3rd party.  My mother who counsels these people says that most raped women who get abortions get even more emotionally unstable.

Uh... wow.  That's because they were impregnated by a rapist...
Inks cares more about the fetus than he does women. Disgusting.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2007, 07:58:21 PM »

THe values of places change based on technology and other factors. Using the 'but every past civilization did it that way" opens a path for things like supporting slavery because "that's how it was done". I'd prefer not to go down that road.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2007, 08:00:44 PM »

"What about rape?" - It's not the child's fault - dont' punish the innocent 3rd party.  My mother who counsels these people says that most raped women who get abortions get even more emotionally unstable.

No - I care for both - but I'm going to defend the one who can't defend him/herself.

And they're aren't more unstable b/c they were impregnated - you missed my point.

Women who get abortions after being raped are normally more unstable than those who have the baby.

Correlation DNI causation. Perhaps those who chose to abort the baby are generally those whose rape was particularly violent or scarring.
Right. That said do we REALLY want to force women who were violently raped to carry the rapist's child to term? If you want a surefire recipe for making sure a kid turns out badly do that. If the goal is the greater good for the most people I'd go with not banning abortion in that case(I'm sure an outcome where the potential mother is able to recover normally is better to anyone rational than one where a mentally unstable woman is forced to raise an unwanted child).
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2007, 06:57:52 PM »

Wrong comparision, Inks. The fetus is the direct result of the rape not some bystander who gets dragged in.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2007, 06:57:53 PM »

No - I care for both - but I'm going to defend the one who can't defend him/herself.

And they're aren't more unstable b/c they were impregnated - you missed my point.

Women who get abortions after being raped are normally more unstable than those who have the baby.

Why does stability have any relevance?

Because you guys have "the best interest of the woman" in mind.
We do. Ruining someone's life with an unplanned pregnancy isn't remotely in the best interest of the woman. I prefer practical ideas to imposing one's moral views on everyone else(I personally agree with the pro-lifers but I know it wouldn't work hence my opposition to bans on abortion)
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 12:46:58 PM »

We at least in the US(Europe still has state funded churches) have a constitution mandating church and state being seperate. That's where Elbowed's issues with theological arguments comes from.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies