I have a question for Atlas's pro-lifers.. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:26:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  I have a question for Atlas's pro-lifers.. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I have a question for Atlas's pro-lifers..  (Read 8892 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: September 14, 2007, 12:20:47 AM »
« edited: September 14, 2007, 12:30:55 AM by Begaj'ho Bag'dasarian »

Complete BS. I meant viable as in can live without medical support. Try again.

I don't care what YOU mean by "viable" - I care what God thinks - because he's the one we have to worry about, not me, and not you.

And "viable" starts at conception.

Now this position is almost impossible to defend from the first amendment, if it became law.

Now, how did this abortion debate become a theological discussion with no mutually contended facts?

Believing in secular government isn't hard to understand. Religion is the relationship between one person and their God, not elected or ordained officials and God. Just because secular government was based on Christian principles doesn't make secular government not secular or that secular government is at odds with people of faith.

It is a problem if your faith is a means unto itself. You simply believe in it, not because you believe it is the way or is right, but just because you want to believe in it. When I had that mindset as a teenager, I was barreling down the path of pentecostal or SBC fundamentalism (I got scared by the bizarre nature of the pentecostal church, but really like the SBC one)  because I saw my God and Country as mere ends to themselves, which would have left me to "abandon my first love", like what happened to the Christians of Ephesus.

I just don't see any government interest in "life" beyond basic security because I feel that God has been realized when a woman chooses to have a baby than when a government forces her at rifle point.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 12:31:45 AM »

Yes, but you are basing your interest in it on theological principle, not the public good.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 10:55:37 PM »

It's not just their wishing to change the status quo that offends me, it is their ignorance of due process. They claim their is a person and that a person is being killed by abortion without objectively proing it beyond a reasonable doubt and there is obviously reasonable doubt at this point. That's why these anti-choicers simply lack civic virtue and are more interested in fmaking people more likely to convert to fundamentalism or catholicism by having the police enforce their theology than the public good....and abortion in history is mixed. Classical Civilizations usually favored it. Confucianism usually was supportive of it. Judaism was mixed, Christianity was mostly opposed, but there was always some dissent on abortion within the church, Islam was about the same as Christianity, the animists were mostly opposed as well as the ancient Persians. Hinduism and Buddhism were opposed at first, but they are begining to shift. The point is that there is no universal natural right for a fetus not be aborted because there is and always has been, and continues to be a reasonable doubt.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 05:25:25 PM »

Yeah, seriously. He provides no evidence for his case and we have moral obligation to protect ourselves from those who lack this civil virtue as expressed in their inability to argue for the public good.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies