Congress Approves Financial Aid Boost for College Students
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:02:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Congress Approves Financial Aid Boost for College Students
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Congress Approves Financial Aid Boost for College Students  (Read 1375 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 07, 2007, 10:34:07 PM »

Good news.  I wonder, though, what it would take for state legislatures to finally begin funding higher education to levels approximating those of the 1960s and '70s.  That's the main problem I see here -states cut back on funding during lean years, and then never restore it in full when good times return, a cycle that has been ongoing for decades now:
-----------------------------------------------

Congress OKs aid boost for college students;
Bush is expected to sign the measure

By NANCY ZUCKERBROD
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON -- Congress sent President Bush legislation Friday to boost financial aid for college students by cutting about $20 billion in government subsidies to banks that make student loans.

Bush has indicated that he will sign the legislation, despite previous objections to parts of the bill. Specifically, the administration has criticized a student loan interest-rate cut and a new loan-forgiveness program, among other things.

House Democrats had made the popular interest-rate cut a priority during the run-up to the last election, in which they regained control of Congress.

The House voted 292-97 Friday for the student aid bill. Earlier in the day, the Senate approved the measure 79-12. All the lawmakers who voted against the bill are Republicans.

The boost in financial aid to college students was one of a half-dozen domestic priorities Democrats set when they took control of Congress this year. Two others -- an increase in the minimum wage and mandatory inspections of air and sea cargo -- already have become law, and a third, ethics reform, is awaiting Bush's signature.

"This is an exciting day for parents and students who struggle to put together the financial means to pay for college," said Rep. George Miller, D-Calif., chairman of the House Education and Labor Committee.

The bill would increase the maximum Pell grant, which goes to the poorest college students, from $4,310 a year to $5,400 a year by 2012.

It also would cut interest rates on federally backed student loans to poor and middle-class students from 6.8 percent to 3.4 percent over the next four years.

California Rep. Buck McKeon, the leading Republican on the committee, criticized the rate cut. He said students will go back to paying the higher rate in four years or taxpayers will have to foot the bill for the cut to continue.

Friz
thad_l
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: -9.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 10:56:44 PM »

Great, just in time for my graduation.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 11:15:55 PM »

Good to hear, but I'm still convinced that too many kids are going to college. That may seem counterintuitive, but the majority of people don't need to be in universities. All they do is dumb them down. If we could get student populations down to a reasonable level through much high entrance requirements, we could better help the students who are college material graduate without the insane debt levels that many people (myself included) incur.
Conan
conan

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 12:57:34 AM »

Damn do nothing congress!
Friz
thad_l
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: -9.74

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 07:22:08 PM »

Most people consider their real education to have begun in college.  I know I do.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 10:25:43 PM »

This is great news! And I am not saying this because I start college next year...
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 02:55:15 PM »

This is awful!  The guvurmint has no rite to fund schools.  Its not in the constitooshun!!!!!111  Persunal Reponsability!!!!11  Cunservative valyoos!!!!!!!!  I was home skooled!!!!
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 03:00:58 PM »

This is awful!  The guvurmint has no rite to fund schools.  Its not in the constitooshun!!!!!111  Persunal Reponsability!!!!11  Cunservative valyoos!!!!!!!!  I was home skooled!!!!

Even though how completely retarded that comment was, you are essentially correct.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 09:40:17 PM »

Even though how completely retarded that comment was, you are essentially correct.

Why the opposition, States? With cheaper financial aid, even you might be able to go back to school!
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 06:46:58 AM »

This is great news! And I am not saying this because I start college next year...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 08:57:38 AM »

Good to hear, but I'm still convinced that too many kids are going to college. That may seem counterintuitive, but the majority of people don't need to be in universities. All they do is dumb them down. If we could get student populations down to a reasonable level through much high entrance requirements, we could better help the students who are college material graduate without the insane debt levels that many people (myself included) incur.

Hahah, 'college material'!!  You realize that the only meaningful definition of that term is a person who is at least upper-middle class.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 09:00:26 AM »

Damn. I'm torn. This is will probably help me out a bit, but I personally think the federal government is paying way too much into education.

I'm also convinced that, long-term, all this federal government aid is actually driving up the cost of education. They're making it possible for more students to afford college, but not funding new schools or teachers as much, so the end result is higher demand for current facilities, which leads to higher prices, which leads to greater need for financial aid.... Tongue
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 09:14:19 AM »

Paying for education gives the government a return in after a few years, because the educated people will end up paying much more than they were given in taxes.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 09:02:33 PM »

OK, so the financial aid situation for poor college students just went from absolutely terrible to awful. The Stafford loan has had the same maximum for over a decade now. Are they going to raise that?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies