NYTimes reports Hagel will not seek re-election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:42:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYTimes reports Hagel will not seek re-election
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYTimes reports Hagel will not seek re-election  (Read 849 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 08, 2007, 10:11:33 AM »

Who do you guys think will replace him?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 10:12:12 AM »

Bruning or Kerrey.
sethm0

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 10:45:06 AM »

It seems like Kerrey will run, but if he does not, would Scott Kleeb consider it? I remember being extremely impressed by him in '06. He took 45% in CD-3 (the most conservative Nebraska CD). All he would need to do is repeat that performance and average 52.5% in CDs 1 and 2.

Perhaps he would have more of an uphill battle than Kerrey, but could he be competitive?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 11:43:53 AM »

With Hagel out of the picture, it is likely that Mike Johanns will be challenging Bruning for the GOP nomination.  Or so I've heard.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 11:57:07 AM »

Prediction: Kerrey bows out; Fahey jumps in
GOP primary prediction: Johanns forgoes run; Bruning gets challenged by U.S Rep. or other statewide official.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 12:05:39 PM »

Let's hope Scott Kleeb sticks to growing corn instead of running for public office.  I've never understood the DailyKos crowd's major crush on him.  Are we sure that Markos Moulitsas is straight?  Every time he talks about Scott Kleeb, he talks about how good looking and tall he is.  What the hell?

And I think Kleeb got 45% (not that great for a Democrat in an open seat in 2006) because Adrian Smith wanted to end farm subsidies or some stupid crap like that.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 12:13:41 PM »

And I think Kleeb got 45% (not that great for a Democrat in an open seat in 2006) because Adrian Smith wanted to end farm subsidies or some stupid crap like that.

Actually, I would think that 45% is pretty good for a Democrat running in this particular district:

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 12:17:37 PM »

Let's hope Scott Kleeb sticks to growing corn instead of running for public office.  I've never understood the DailyKos crowd's major crush on him.  Are we sure that Markos Moulitsas is straight?  Every time he talks about Scott Kleeb, he talks about how good looking and tall he is.  What the hell?

This was an R+24 district in which he got 45%. That's like a Republican getting 45% in San Francisco.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 12:23:30 PM »

No chance the GOP tries to run Tom Osborne?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 01:15:24 PM »

No chance the GOP tries to run Tom Osborne?

Tom Osborne massacred himself with the immigration thingy.  But who knows, he may try.

If Johanns doesn't run, I can't see Bruning losing the nomination (though I could be wrong).  The Dem side is of course more flexible if Kerrey doesn't run.

Kleeb is overrated, IMHO.  Smith's anti-farm subsidies stance cost him at least 5% of the vote out there, if not more.  Note that in this session of Congress, he's already voted for a pork-laden farm bill with tax increases, thus breaking both his anti-farm subsidies pledge and his anti-tax increase pledge all at once.  Someone got the message.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies