What if Ahmad Shah Massoud lived?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:07:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  What if Ahmad Shah Massoud lived?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What if Ahmad Shah Massoud lived?  (Read 3147 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 09, 2007, 04:30:11 PM »

On Sept. 2, 2001, nine days before 9/11, Ahmad Shah Massoud, the leader of the Northern Alliance in Afghanistan, was assassinated. If he had lived or the assassination attempt had not happened, would the war in Afghanistan gone differently? Would the reconstruction have gone differently?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 05:55:08 PM »

Oddly I think it would have turned out worse. As an ethnic Tajik he could not have held as much sway over Pashtun tribes as Hamid Karzai has, even though that seems to be breaking as of now. I think the elevation of a Tajik to the Presidency surrounded by other Tajiks, Uzbeks, and Hazaras who made up most of the government and the Northern Alliance would have alienated southern Pashtuns and driven further divisions between the ethnic groups within Afghanistan.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 07:21:48 PM »

So we have an afghanistan in a state of outright yugoslavia type civil war?
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 08:28:14 PM »

Oddly I think it would have turned out worse. As an ethnic Tajik he could not have held as much sway over Pashtun tribes as Hamid Karzai has, even though that seems to be breaking as of now. I think the elevation of a Tajik to the Presidency surrounded by other Tajiks, Uzbeks, and Hazaras who made up most of the government and the Northern Alliance would have alienated southern Pashtuns and driven further divisions between the ethnic groups within Afghanistan.

Is it a forgone conclusion that Massoud would've been elected President?

Btw, he was assassinated two days before 9/11, not nine. The timing was obviously hardly a coincidence.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 08:51:51 PM »

Well it's not. I was just stating what was likely if he was elected President. Otherwise he probably would have ended up much like Dostum or Qanuni, a functionary within the government but he wouldn't have contributed very much to a divergent history.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 04:56:23 AM »

No. For obvious (and not just ethnic actually) reasons he would have had little appeal south of his traditional strongholds.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 08:23:53 AM »

Well it's not. I was just stating what was likely if he was elected President. Otherwise he probably would have ended up much like Dostum or Qanuni, a functionary within the government but he wouldn't have contributed very much to a divergent history.
Except with more popularity in the North, and thence much more able to make problems for Karzai.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies