"Giving Back" by Walter Williams (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:02:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  "Giving Back" by Walter Williams (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Giving Back" by Walter Williams  (Read 5546 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« on: September 11, 2007, 08:55:43 AM »

Typical greedy libertarian capitalist.

Most libertarians I know of support private charity, so this doesn't seem at all typical to me.

Anywho, his notion of "giving back" is flawed, as displayed by this:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You don't become rich by giving - you become rich by selling, which is what these people did. Henry Ford sold cars, he didn't give them away. Sure, he made them affordable for the common man, but he did that so he could make a greater profit. He also instituted a lot of programs for his workers as well as increased their pay, but he did that to reduce his employee turnover rate instead of a spirit of giving to the workers. And you don't see Steve Jobs handing out iPods to everyone who walks into his stores, he sells them to make money. Again, it's patently absurd to call making money by selling a product or service "giving".
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 05:06:04 PM »

A basic definition of trade is "to give in exchange for something else." Williams is not claiming that these individuals have engaged in charity. Rather, he is making the point that should be absolutely obvious. If I receive money for nothing, then it may be legitimate to say that I should "give something back." But these individuals already "gave" to society in the form of their contributions to commerce.

If you give a gift, you don't necessarily expect to get anything in return. If you sell a television, you expect money in return. The individuals sold their products to society for their own gain, not for the sake of the public. Yes, their products were beneficial, but that doesn't mean they gave them away. Don't get me wrong - I don't hold anything against them, and I don't think they necessarily owe anyone anything, but to call it "giving" when they were doing it for money is absurd.

"Giving back" may imply they owe something to society, but it doesn't imply they didn't earn their wealth. I would agree it's a bad way to put that those with wealth should give to charity, but again I don't call selling a product giving in the sense that "giving back to society" implies because it's not.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies