French election maps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:31:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  French election maps
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 31
Author Topic: French election maps  (Read 239939 times)
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: September 05, 2009, 04:20:13 PM »
« edited: September 05, 2009, 04:21:47 PM by big bad fab »

I'm not here for long tonight so I haven't checked, but it would be fine to see the FN map for this election, in Picardie, Ardennes, Lorraine, to see if Tapie hadn't stolen some popular vote from the FN: that's not entirely impossible, as these are areas of "leftist" FN vote.

Just an idea that may be entirely wrong.

Anyway, I understand that this was an "old thing you always wanted to do": that's very interesting (like when I've asked you tomake Juquin 1988 and Rocard 1969: unique maps !).
Thanks Hash.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #351 on: September 07, 2009, 04:47:19 PM »

I'm not here for long tonight so I haven't checked, but it would be fine to see the FN map for this election, in Picardie, Ardennes, Lorraine, to see if Tapie hadn't stolen some popular vote from the FN: that's not entirely impossible, as these are areas of "leftist" FN vote.

Here thee goes:

You're probably kind of right, unsurprisingly. Though Somme's poor result is based more on the strength of CPNT there...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #352 on: September 07, 2009, 04:50:51 PM »

Oh, now that's wonderful. Not perfect, but still wonderful.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #353 on: September 07, 2009, 04:58:15 PM »

Here thee goes:

You're probably kind of right, unsurprisingly. Though Somme's poor result is based more on the strength of CPNT there...

Mmmmh... I wouldn't be so sure in fact. Tapie may have stolen something, but not much.

Probably more an effect of "forgotten" people: Thiérache in Aisne, all the Ardennes, former combat zones in Meuse, Meurthe, Marne, etc, all areas really far away from Paris and the power.

Here, it's not really racism that works for the FN (as in Haut-Rhin, in Eure-et-Loir, in Oise, in the South-East or even in Loire), more the isolation.

So, Tapie's so-called rebellion against the "establishement", but without racism, may have play well here.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #354 on: September 07, 2009, 05:02:10 PM »

Finishing the 1994 spree:

big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #355 on: September 08, 2009, 05:19:44 AM »

In 1994, the right was triumphant and I think many voters from the right felt free to express themselves in voting for de Villiers, more "rebellious" than... Balladur, the PM of the time, and anti-European, just 18 months after the BIG debate over Masstricht.

Apart from Villiers' personal influence in the West and the inner Centre-West, it's a quite traditional rightist map, minus pro-European Alsace and Pyrénées-Atlantiques (Bretagne is a bit high for him...) and some FN areas (North, South-East).

Pyrénées-Orientales are funny.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #356 on: October 08, 2009, 04:51:24 PM »

DLR has made maps of its Euro results by commune:

http://www.debout-la-republique.fr/IMG/pdf/DLR_regions1.pdf

http://www.debout-la-republique.fr/IMG/pdf/DLR_regions2.pdf

A note on the low DLR result in Bretagne, Pays-de-la-Loire and Poitou-Charentes (Ouest constituency): the DLR, due to lack of funds, couldn't print out their ballots in this constituency and required voters to print them out themselves.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #357 on: October 12, 2009, 03:40:40 AM »
« Edited: October 12, 2009, 03:44:58 AM by big bad fab »

DLR has made maps of its Euro results by commune:

http://www.debout-la-republique.fr/IMG/pdf/DLR_regions1.pdf

http://www.debout-la-republique.fr/IMG/pdf/DLR_regions2.pdf

A note on the low DLR result in Bretagne, Pays-de-la-Loire and Poitou-Charentes (Ouest constituency): the DLR, due to lack of funds, couldn't print out their ballots in this constituency and required voters to print them out themselves.
Awesome even if a bit... geometrical... in their national map.
I mean, awesome to see a joke party making electoral maps !

Have you noticed that, quite often, "big" results occurred in communes which are close to departmental borders ?

The angry vote of forgotten people ?
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #358 on: November 12, 2009, 08:22:59 PM »

10.95% (1984) vs. 10.44% (2007)

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #359 on: November 15, 2009, 02:04:31 PM »

I'm not sure why, but I can't but help think "protest party".
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #360 on: November 15, 2009, 02:12:03 PM »

I'm not sure why, but I can't but help think "protest party".

On the topic of the FN and notably the FN's meteoric downfall in Paris, I like this little applet thingee: http://geoelections.free.fr/France/Paris/extrdte.htm
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #361 on: December 04, 2009, 10:56:22 PM »

A few old maps I put together over the past week; mostly a series on the early evolution of republicanism in France:

Also, seems like I never got around to posting this map:

Fab originally asked for it after the Euros, but I got distracted and so forth (apologies). The comparison to the Greenies map in June is quite correct, though the factors influencing both votes may differ. Eg; the Green vote in the Finistère was much more demographic-based (urban, 'green' area feeling and the like) will the PSU vote by 1981 was based on old factors (PSU's base was around Morlaix with Tanguy-Prigent). Though elsewhere the factors are similar: I'm not an expert on the PSU (sadly), but by 1981, I would suppose an early bobo moderate urban middle-class vote, the same which carried the Greenies in June.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #362 on: December 08, 2009, 06:48:33 AM »

Oh, I've just seen this !
Wonderful ! Thanks !

Indeed, Bouchardeau's map is very interesting and I'm pretty happy to have seen her as a sort of Europe-Ecologie (not Green...) candidate, 28 years before the real ones...

Of course, she couldn't be strong in the North and her Charente-Maritime and Gironde results are comparatively weak, BUT in 1981, there was Crépeau, also with a similar "green" image (whatever the reality behind it).
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #363 on: December 09, 2009, 07:39:13 PM »

Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #364 on: January 10, 2010, 11:13:26 AM »

Interactive maps of the Euro results by commune, canton and so forth are available online on Geoclip (at the cost of removing the 2005 referendum and 2007 results...)

http://www.geoclip.fr/danseuse/carto.php?lang=fr

For example:

Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #365 on: January 10, 2010, 06:30:47 PM »

Map of the Green vote in IDF

big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #366 on: January 11, 2010, 04:09:05 AM »

Amazing to see the "bobo" effect in it !!!
Rambouillet and around was already "green"... Fontainebleau also...
How can some people still believe French Greens are here to protect little birds and trees Huh

Roissy and its airport had no effect... and in popular zones (immediate noth of Paris, towards Poissy and Mantes-la-Jolie in Yvelines' north, in Val-de-Marne and extreme north of Essonne), Greens were weak.

But popular zones where newcomers from middle classes are migrating to (SW corner of Seine-saint-Denis, frontier area between Val-de-Marne and Hauts-de-Seine, Cergy,...) voted big for Greens.

Fascinating and depressing...
When I see their vote, I hate the French Greens ! Wink

BTW, Hash, I'm a bit late on my promise, but, at least, I've put the accurate books out of their shelves: so, I beg for a little more patience... Wink
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #367 on: January 24, 2010, 11:18:29 AM »

Fabien sent me the files I had asked for about the Fourth Republic, so here's the 1945 maps:

I gather grayed out departments indicate that the party/thingee didn't run a list (the vote was PR by department, so it makes sense).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #368 on: January 24, 2010, 11:33:29 AM »

Lolzere again, I see...
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #369 on: January 25, 2010, 08:48:39 AM »

SFIO in 1945 looked already like a Mitterrandesque map of the 1970s...

PCF, on the contrary, is still a bit more "eastern" than in the 1960s-1990s.

And without Gaullist lists per se, the famous map of de Gaulle (occupied France + Massif Central) can't be seen here.

(I don't know if Hash intends to make 1951 and 1956, but it's rather interesting to see that, rather swiftly after WW2, all the great areas were present, with de Gaulle creating the only important change in 1958-1965).

Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #370 on: February 26, 2010, 06:18:36 PM »

CDSP now has the regional results for 2004 and 1998 up:

Here's the 2004 runoff(s) by constituency:

The UMP actually outperformed Sarkozy's 2007 runoff showing in Cantal-2 (Saint-Flour), both Lozere constituencies, Puy-de-Dome-3 (VGE's turf) Vendee-4. Jacques Blanc outrunning Sarkozy in Lozere is explainable by the double-fact that Sarko did very poorly there and that Blanc was from there. de Villiers had relatively poor transfers to Sarkozy in the 2007 runoff, a fact which is never noted or picked up.

Weird that Giacobbi didn't win his constituency, I would have thought that the friends-and-neighbors effect would have been stronger, especially on the Island.

The extent of the UMP's destruction in working-class areas (remember, in a lot of those areas, the FN was also in the runoff, pulling a good 8-14% generally) is also quite phenomenal.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #371 on: March 06, 2010, 09:41:58 AM »

Randomly found this old map from Geoelections.fr

Royal was a much more rural SFIOish and urban candidate than Jospin. And she was a really, really awful candidate for Alsace (I think she won like one commune in the whole region)

Some of the differences in Royal's showing in working-class areas compared to Jospin are interesting. She did relatively poorly in the Nord coalbelt, Le Havre, the Doubs, parts of Montceau/Autun, and the old railway-line industrial areas in Aube/Yonne (which are PCF areas); but quite a bit better than Jospin in Longwy, the Ardennes tip, and Fos-sur-Mer.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #372 on: March 07, 2010, 09:10:39 PM »

2007 legislative in Cotes-d'Armor

Reading Siegfried, I find some of the changes since 1910 a bit surprising. In other places such as the Finistère, the patterns noticed by Siegfried in 1910 are still there...

For starters, there was a big reactionary bloc around Dinan; but Loudeac and the south wasn't a reactionary stronghold... and Paimpol was the old stronghold of the left. Though the famous Red Belt which Siegfried noted the beginnings of are still there, fairly obviously.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #373 on: March 08, 2010, 04:25:03 AM »

Dinan is partly a banlieue of Rennes, now, sort of... Wink

Around Loudéac ? Well, the population continues to diminish: so, the old who remain count for more and the right is on the rise in comparison with the beginning of the 20th century.

Around Paimpol, Lézardrieux and towards Guingamp, wasn't there some industries ? I don't remember but it could explain the past situation.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #374 on: March 08, 2010, 08:18:31 AM »

Dinan is partly a banlieue of Rennes, now, sort of... Wink

Around Loudéac ? Well, the population continues to diminish: so, the old who remain count for more and the right is on the rise in comparison with the beginning of the 20th century.

Around Paimpol, Lézardrieux and towards Guingamp, wasn't there some industries ? I don't remember but it could explain the past situation.

Yeah, I know. I just meant it's surprising (and Siegfried would find it too) because from his description of the psyche, he insinuated that Dinan's reactionary bloc would remain solid, but at the same time he opened the door to changes (which happened, by the book) in the Red Belt and in western Morbihan.

Paimpol was a left-wing stronghold because of the fishing industry. Siegfried has a whole chapter on how coastal people are different from rural people, with the coast being for the left (because of the lack of nobility, strong clergy, big property and a unique independent small property psyche with coastal people).

Guingamp and the Red Belt actually used to be a royalist/Bonapartist stronghold until 1906/1910, because of big property and strong nobility but he notes that it changed in 1906/1910 with a rather unique 'political revolt' of the people (who are Bretonnants, not Gallo, it's a big point here) against the weakening nobility and so on. The Red Belt here isn't an industrial belt (except for Lorient suburbia - Hennebont).
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 31  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies