should the Republicans give up on VA & NH??
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:10:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  should the Republicans give up on VA & NH??
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should the GOp just give up on the NH & VA Senate seats?
yes to both

no to both

yes to Va no to NH

yes to NH no to VA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: should the Republicans give up on VA & NH??  (Read 3089 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 14, 2007, 04:32:19 PM »

The GOP has a massive amount of seats to defend in 2008, a decent amount of them competitive seats.  Two of them in particular they have basically already lost.  Shaheen and Warner are both leading in the polls by landslides. and the Dems have both of those seats on lock.  So with everything the GOP has to defend would it make sense for them to just throw in the towel in the VA & NH Senate seat races and concentrate the $$ elsewhere or should they throw $$ at the race and just hope?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 04:33:30 PM »

not yet.  play status quo for a few months and make a decision come New Years.

of course, what exactly are they going to put the money into?  holding Colorado?  Nebraska?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 04:40:57 PM »

not yet.  play status quo for a few months and make a decision come New Years.

of course, what exactly are they going to put the money into?  holding Colorado?  Nebraska?

Maine, Oregon, Minnesota, or if things really get ugly North Carolina
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 08:13:03 PM »

no.  va may be closer than the experts think.  NOTE TO BRTD: I STILL THINK WARNER WILL WIN.

nh is still winnable for sununu.  i like him a lot.  a great senator!  i hope the people of the nh have the good sense to send him back to washington.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 08:33:41 PM »

They should probably give up on New Hampshire.  And (if I were them) Republicans should definitely not yet give up on Virginia -the best Mark Warner can hope for (against either Davis or Gilmore) is a 55 to 45 victory, given the residual conservatism of the state.  More likely he would win a percentage just slightly short of that. 

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 09:05:33 PM »
« Edited: September 14, 2007, 09:38:21 PM by Lief »

They should spend money in their firewall states, because they're already at a huge cash disadvantage. States like MN and OR at the moment, then maybe falling back to states like AK, KY, ME and NC if those prove to be competitive.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 09:12:13 PM »

I don't think so.  While Shaheen and Warner are very popular and are expected to cruise to victory, its definitely not a sure thing either place.  I think both states will go Democrat, but I would wait until maybe after the Presidential Primaries of each state to see who they nominate in both parties.  Then, if its still landsliding Democrat by, say, March, then pull out by April 1 and give them up for dead.

Lief is right, the Republicans are at a distinct cash disadvantage because they don't have Chuck Schumer.  Schumer has seemingly bottomless pockets.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 11:13:50 PM »

no.  va may be closer than the experts think.  NOTE TO BRTD: I STILL THINK WARNER WILL WIN.

nh is still winnable for sununu.  i like him a lot.  a great senator!  i hope the people of the nh have the good sense to send him back to washington.

How is NH winnable for Sununu when as an incumbent he is trailing by over 20 points??  his voting record is a brutal match for his state.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 08:06:19 AM »

How is NH winnable for Sununu when as an incumbent he is trailing by over 20 points??  his voting record is a brutal match for his state.

a lot can happen between now and november 08
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2007, 08:14:01 AM »

Walter, is this going to be another one of your predictions that you're really going to regret?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2007, 08:42:40 AM »

Walter, is this going to be another one of your predictions that you're really going to regret?

i havent made a prediction in the nh race yet.  at this time sununu certainly appears to be in trouble.

obviously the thing that is killing the republicans is iraq.  if something positive can be achieved in that mess between now and next november, the prospects for republicans will brighten dramatically.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2007, 10:10:41 AM »

...obviously the thing that is killing the republicans is iraq.  if something positive can be achieved in that mess between now and next november, the prospects for republicans will brighten dramatically.

I don't think that is so obvious, even though it is conventional wisdom.  Yes, people dislike the Iraq war, but I wouldn't get my hopes up for Republicans' situation to 'brighten dramatically' even in the unlikely event of Iraq improvement. 

I think what is being missed in the focus that media and political observers place on Iraq is the deep underlying importance of economic issues to voters at this time.  Eight years of income stagnation coupled with house price collapse, and now an incipient recession make the workers frightened, waltermitty.  I say that you can date the collapse in Bush's support more from the gas price increases than from anything to do with the war.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2007, 10:15:53 AM »

Let's hope that Walter predicts a Sununu win.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2007, 12:26:06 PM »

Look at it this way, if I was Rep. Tom Davis no way in hell would I opt for a Senate run against Warner. I'd seek re-election to VA-11 then opt for either a run for governor in 2009 or a run against Webb in 2012

Dave

Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2007, 12:36:16 PM »

They should probably give up on New Hampshire.  And (if I were them) Republicans should definitely not yet give up on Virginia -the best Mark Warner can hope for (against either Davis or Gilmore) is a 55 to 45 victory, given the residual conservatism of the state.  More likely he would win a percentage just slightly short of that. 

So no chance whatsoever of Warner having a Bayh-style Indiana (a somewhat more conservative and Republican state) margin of victory? Of course, Bayh's Senate opponents were somewhat bottom-drawer. Neither Davis or Gilmore fit that description

Dave
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2007, 12:38:34 PM »

So no chance whatsoever of Warner having a Bayh-style Indiana (a somewhat more conservative and Republican state) margin of victory? Of course, Bayh's Senate opponents were somewhat bottom-drawer. Neither Davis or Gilmore fit that description

Dave

Gilmore isn't bottom-drawer? LOL.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2007, 12:44:43 PM »

Compared to Davis, he undoubtedly is Wink. Wasn't that much of a governor by most accounts but that doesn't mean to say he'd not poll respectably (low 40s)

Dave
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2007, 12:48:24 PM »

Calling Gilmore a high quality candidate would be like calling Bob Taft one if he ran again in Ohio.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2007, 12:59:16 PM »

Calling Gilmore a high quality candidate would be like calling Bob Taft one if he ran again in Ohio.

Believe me, I'd enjoy a Warner vs Gilmore race Wink

Dave
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2007, 01:07:11 PM »

Look at it this way, if I was Rep. Tom Davis no way in hell would I opt for a Senate run against Warner. I'd seek re-election to VA-11 then opt for either a run for governor in 2009 or a run against Webb in 2012

Dave

Same here. It just isn't worth jeopardizing his career in such a long-shot race. Gilmore, on the other hand... Well, he's a joke anyway.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2007, 02:44:10 PM »

i havent made a prediction in the nh race yet.  at this time sununu certainly appears to be in trouble.

obviously the thing that is killing the republicans is iraq.  if something positive can be achieved in that mess between now and next november, the prospects for republicans will brighten dramatically.

The chances of things in Iraq geting better are virtually impossible.  Also Sununu's problems while Iraq is one of them is much bigger than that.  He is a staunch social conservative in a state which is socially liberal.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2007, 05:05:23 PM »

Dave

I would rather make a conservative prediction at this stage in the race and be wrong, than to be overly optimistic and find that the other guy has won.  That's one reason why I made the above prediction. 

Also, please remember that Webb was running against an outed racist incumbent and good ol' boy George Allen, and still only barely won in a heavily Democratic year.  Mark Warner is a stronger candidate, granted, but then again he is likely to be running against opponents who have (so far) made none of Allen's mistakes.  So, all things being equal, I am betting that he will win, perhaps by a slightly larger margin than did Webb, but nothing like a washout.     
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2007, 06:46:18 PM »

New Hampshire? Probably cut loses there...

As for Virginia, Warner has a ton of momentum, but this still seems to be a GOP state in a national election, which make keep the GOP candidate in contention...Advantage dems, but still some hope for Rs.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2007, 06:50:42 PM »

The question in VA is who the candidate is. If Davis doesn't run and it ends up being Gilmore or some other such loser, then there's no point in fighting.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2007, 10:00:51 AM »

They should give up on both, and not waste any money there.  Focus on Oregon, Minnesota, and Louisiana.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies