list of GOP retirements?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:07:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  list of GOP retirements?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: list of GOP retirements?  (Read 2191 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 23, 2007, 12:51:40 PM »

can anyone provide a list of GOP congresspeople that have announced their retirement?
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 01:22:02 PM »
« Edited: November 23, 2007, 01:29:27 PM by FREE AUNG SAN SUU KYI »

can anyone provide a list of GOP congresspeople that have announced their retirement?

AL-02     Everett    R     R+13.2     Will retire
AZ-01    Renzi        R+2.2    Will resign
CA-52    Hunter           R+9.3    Running for President
CO-06 Tancredo       R +10.0   Running for President
IL-11    Weller              R+1.1        Retiring
IL-14    Hastert    R+4.8       Retiring
IL-18    LaHood        R+5.5        Retiring
MN-03    Ramstad    R+0.5    Retiring
MS-03    Pickering    R+14.1       Retiring
NM-01    Wilson           D+2.4        Running for Senate
NM-02   Pearce        R+6                Running for Senate
OH-05:  Gillmor      R +10.1             Deceased
OH-07:  Hobson    R +6.0               Retiring
OH-16: Regula         R +3.6             Retiring
OH-15    Pryce       R+1.1       Retiring
NJ-03  Saxton       D +3.3              Retiring
NJ-07 Ferguson          R+1 Retiring to become filthly rich.
WY-AL Cubin              R+19          Retiring

Eight of the 18 open GOP seats are considered marginal.
Democrats could net 6-9 seats from this list.

Top Dem targets:
OH-15
MN-03
NM-01
NJ-07
IL-11
AZ-01
OH-16
NJ-03

2nd tier Democratic targets:
IL-14
NM-02
IL-18
OH-07
WY-AL   

Targets for  masochistic Democratic strategists:
AL-02     
CA-52           
CO-06 
MS-03    
OH-05

Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 01:46:02 PM »

AL-02     
CA-52           
CO-06 
MS-03    
OH-05     

OH-05 is definitely a GOP favored seat but it remains to be seen whether or not they can recover from their cut-throat primary.  AS MA-05 proved, no seat is truly "safe" when it comes to special elections and the Democrats have a solid candidate running in OH-05 who could realistically pull an upset.  I still think the GOP will win, but I wouldn't consider this a lost cause for Democrats until after the special election next month.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 02:19:53 PM »

AL-02     
CA-52           
CO-06 
MS-03    
OH-05     

OH-05 is definitely a GOP favored seat but it remains to be seen whether or not they can recover from their cut-throat primary.  AS MA-05 proved, no seat is truly "safe" when it comes to special elections and the Democrats have a solid candidate running in OH-05 who could realistically pull an upset.  I still think the GOP will win, but I wouldn't consider this a lost cause for Democrats until after the special election next month.

If Bob Latta wins the special election, barring a 1964 redux in 2008, OH-05 seems safe for the GOP. The Democratic candidate in this district, Robin Weirauch,  seems like a lesser version of the infamously feckless Francine Busby.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 05:06:19 PM »

If I was a really insane man with a sick betting side, I'd be tempted to make the wager that by the time election day rolls around in 2008, NM-01 will be below NM-02 on your list. 

As it is right now, NM-02 should be up a level and WY-AL and OH-07 should be off the list (OH-07 mainly b/c the GOP will have an excellent candidate there).
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 05:26:21 PM »

If I was a really insane man with a sick betting side, I'd be tempted to make the wager that by the time election day rolls around in 2008, NM-01 will be below NM-02 on your list. 

As it is right now, NM-02 should be up a level and WY-AL and OH-07 should be off the list (OH-07 mainly b/c the GOP will have an excellent candidate there).

Sheriff White does match the archetype of the macho man turned Congressman. It worked well in swing districts like WA-08, IN-08 and NY-24.  I agree that the general will be quite competitive, but I attribute that largely to the comparative strength of the GOP candidate.

While futurology is an uneven science, at best, sometimes predicting technological advancements  is more accurate than trying to prognosticate about congressional elections. Who could've guessed in 2005 that OH-02 and WY-AL would play host to closer races than did CT-04 and PA-06, which were home to two of the closest incumbent reelections in 2004.

That said, I think NM-01 and NM-02 will parallel the 2006 election results in NV-02 and NV-03. While the Democrats had an arguably stronger candidate in NV-02 and will have a top-notch candidate in NM-02, the district's partisan tendency dominate the electoral  outcome. This helps explain why Tessa Hafen, an inexperienced mediocre fundraiser, nearly toppled savvy swing district incumbent Jon Porter.

The Democrats' fourth choice candidate in NV-03 is a Clark County Proesceutor Robert Daskas.  Typically, being a the 4th choice for a job is not a ringing endorsement. In the case of Daskas, this has more to do with the strength of the Democratic bench than it has to do with Daskas' shortcomings as a candidate. The expected up swell in Hispanics registering to vote for the Presidential 's election is sure to benefit the Democrat in this district.

For now:
NM-01: Toss-up/tilts Republican
NM-02: Leans Republican
NV-03: Toss-up/ tilts Republican

MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 06:00:50 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcxDPJ5a5oQ&eurl=http://www.nmfbihop.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=493
Words can't describe this video.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 06:35:21 PM »

Candidates may have something to do with it, but the inner dynamics of NM-01 and NM-02 are very different than the Nevada districts. 

Also, in 2006, don't underestimate the helpful impact of Hafen being a Mormon in a highly Mormon area (comparison to US).  Harry Reid wouldn't still be a Senator without that factoid.

IMHO, NV-03 is highly likely to be under both New Mexico districts in terms of competitiveness come 2008.
Conan
conan

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 06:54:41 PM »

Candidates may have something to do with it, but the inner dynamics of NM-01 and NM-02 are very different than the Nevada districts. 

Also, in 2006, don't underestimate the helpful impact of Hafen being a Mormon in a highly Mormon area (comparison to US).  Harry Reid wouldn't still be a Senator without that factoid.

IMHO, NV-03 is highly likely to be under both New Mexico districts in terms of competitiveness come 2008.
Maybe he wouldnt have been elected in the first place, but your assumption that he still wouldnt be a senator has only minimal grounds.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 07:03:03 PM »

I wasn't implying that the NM pair and the NV duo were congruent districts demographically and politically. I was using the comparison based largely on PVI, not on district makeup.

Oddly enough, Hafen rarely played up her Mormonism. Wouldn't you agree that district trends favor Democrats? This district was drawn to be as competitive as a seat like CO-07. Finally, do you downgrade this race's competiveness because of the Democratic candidate? Daskas is about as well-known as White and the former has a more moderate track record, too.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 07:04:20 PM »

Maybe he wouldnt have been elected in the first place, but your assumption that he still wouldnt be a senator has only minimal grounds.

I think Sam Spade's referring to Reid's 428 vote victory in 1998. In a race that close, a multitude of factors could've played the deciding role.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 01:16:40 PM »

I think Sam Spade's referring to Reid's 428 vote victory in 1998. In a race that close, a multitude of factors could've played the deciding role.

Reid won in 1998 because he was able to attract votes in the traditionally Republican 'Cow Counties'.  There are Mormon voters here, I think this is what Sam Spade is arguing.

By the way, Congressman Chip Pickering is also retiring in MS-3.  This District will clearly be another long-shot for Democrats considering Bush carried it 65%-34%. 
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2007, 05:16:59 PM »

Reid won in 1998 because he was able to attract votes in the traditionally Republican 'Cow Counties'.  There are Mormon voters here, I think this is what Sam Spade is arguing.

By the way, Congressman Chip Pickering is also retiring in MS-3.  This District will clearly be another long-shot for Democrats considering Bush carried it 65%-34%. 

former Sec. of State Eric Clark, a Democrat, could at least make MS-3 competitive.  I doubt he could pull it out, but he is pretty popular (he always won SS in landslides).  If the crowded Republican primary goes very negative, and the presidential race goes badly for Republicans, I could see the race being close.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 12:19:25 AM »

Sheriff White does match the archetype of the macho man turned Congressman. It worked well in swing districts like WA-08, IN-08 and NY-24.  I agree that the general will be quite competitive, but I attribute that largely to the comparative strength of the GOP candidate.

While futurology is an uneven science, at best, sometimes predicting technological advancements  is more accurate than trying to prognosticate about congressional elections. Who could've guessed in 2005 that OH-02 and WY-AL would play host to closer races than did CT-04 and PA-06, which were home to two of the closest incumbent reelections in 2004.

That said, I think NM-01 and NM-02 will parallel the 2006 election results in NV-02 and NV-03. While the Democrats had an arguably stronger candidate in NV-02 and will have a top-notch candidate in NM-02, the district's partisan tendency dominate the electoral  outcome. This helps explain why Tessa Hafen, an inexperienced mediocre fundraiser, nearly toppled savvy swing district incumbent Jon Porter.

The Democrats' fourth choice candidate in NV-03 is a Clark County Proesceutor Robert Daskas.  Typically, being a the 4th choice for a job is not a ringing endorsement. In the case of Daskas, this has more to do with the strength of the Democratic bench than it has to do with Daskas' shortcomings as a candidate. The expected up swell in Hispanics registering to vote for the Presidential 's election is sure to benefit the Democrat in this district.

For now:

You would seriously rate NM-01 as Tossup/tilt Republican?  This is a district that will likely go for Hillary Clinton and handily for Tom Udall.  I don't think any Republican can buck that current unless they are an incumbent. 
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 12:52:19 AM »

For now:

You would seriously rate NM-01 as Tossup/tilt Republican?  This is a district that will likely go for Hillary Clinton and handily for Tom Udall.  I don't think any Republican can buck that current unless they are an incumbent. 

The GOP has recruited their number one candidate in this district. When I make predictions about Congressional races, I place a premium on candidate recruitment. That's part of the reason why I was right early on about Heath Shuler toppling Charles Taylor in NC-11 but wrong about Jim Leach losing to some unknown college professor. In wave elections, as you are well aware, candidates who shouldn't win, can win. The laws of political gravity are obeyed in non-wave election cycles. Since it's unlikely to 2008 will be as strong of a partisan year as 2006, I believe that candidate recruitment will rise in importance.

When one looks at NM-01, one finds a swing district with a slight Democratic lean that some how has been represented by Republicans for over three decades. Seems like prime Democratic pick-up territory, right? While on paper this district is Democratic, it's many politically nuances, as Sam Spade can attest, make its political makeup a little less predictable than one may think. Martin Heinrich, the likely Democratic candidate, is neither a Hispanic nor a   moderate. This will leave him vulnerable in a mostly moderate, Hispanic district like NM-01.

The way the Democrats win this race is by playing up the immigration issue. It worked in TX-23, a district replete with culturally conservative Chicanos who soured on the GOP after the Sensenbrenner bill. If Heinrich is the candidate with a reasonable position of immigration (ie., a balance between enforcement and incentives), the Democrats will likely win. Otherwise, Sheriff White will become bosom buddies with Sheriff-turned-Congressman Reichert, who also represents a nominally Democratic district.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 01:16:27 AM »

For now:

The GOP has recruited their number one candidate in this district. When I make predictions about Congressional races, I place a premium on candidate recruitment. That's part of the reason why I was right early on about Heath Shuler toppling Charles Taylor in NC-11 but wrong about Jim Leach losing to some unknown college professor. In wave elections, as you are well aware, candidates who shouldn't win, can win. The laws of political gravity are obeyed in non-wave election cycles. Since it's unlikely to 2008 will be as strong of a partisan year as 2006, I believe that candidate recruitment will rise in importance.

When one looks at NM-01, one finds a swing district with a slight Democratic lean that some how has been represented by Republicans for over three decades. Seems like prime Democratic pick-up territory, right? While on paper this district is Democratic, it's many politically nuances, as Sam Spade can attest, make its political makeup a little less predictable than one may think. Martin Heinrich, the likely Democratic candidate, is neither a Hispanic nor a   moderate. This will leave him vulnerable in a mostly moderate, Hispanic district like NM-01.

The way the Democrats win this race is by playing up the immigration issue. It worked in TX-23, a district replete with culturally conservative Chicanos who soured on the GOP after the Sensenbrenner bill. If Heinrich is the candidate with a reasonable position of immigration (ie., a balance between enforcement and incentives), the Democrats will likely win. Otherwise, Sheriff White will become bosom buddies with Sheriff-turned-Congressman Reichert, who also represents a nominally Democratic district.

I don't know.  In an open seat race in a Presidential year, people are more likely to vote straight ticket.  I don't know how many people are going to go into the polling both and say "Im voting for Hillary Clinton, but I am going to vote against a Democrat in the open seat House race".  That just doesnt seem to happen anymore.  Look at what happened in NY-27 in 2004.  This was another Dem leaning district that a Republican had held for years and Republicans thought they could hold it with a popular county comptroller in a Presidential year.  Unfortunately for them, the Democratic Presidential vote was too strong to withstand and the Democrat won. 

Also keep in mind that the Clinton campaign is likely going to register and turn out thousands of new Hispanic voters who likely to vote straight ticket Democrat.  All of this only helps Heimrich. 
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2007, 03:30:53 AM »

Also keep in mind that the Clinton campaign is likely going to register and turn out thousands of new Hispanic voters who likely to vote straight ticket Democrat.  All of this only helps Heimrich. 

I am generally quite suspicious of any plan for victory that includes (in part or in whole) registering new voters.  If you need to chase them down and beat them over the head to register, they're not going to be turning up at the polling places to vote.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2007, 05:50:27 PM »

Moderate cannot feel the RonPaulMentum!
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2007, 05:53:07 PM »

Moderate cannot feel the RonPaulMentum!

lol nuh uh im caught up in the
RELOVEUTION
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2007, 06:20:01 PM »

RELOVE(except for jews)UTION™
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2007, 06:23:09 PM »

I am generally quite suspicious of any plan for victory that includes (in part or in whole) registering new voters.  If you need to chase them down and beat them over the head to register, they're not going to be turning up at the polling places to vote.

Yes, but in a state like New Mexico they could end up voting anyway, even if they don't show up at the polling places.  Tongue

Which makes it even more unlikely that that scenario would occur, btw.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies