should the Republicans give up on VA & NH??
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:56:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  should the Republicans give up on VA & NH??
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should the GOp just give up on the NH & VA Senate seats?
yes to both

no to both

yes to Va no to NH

yes to NH no to VA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: should the Republicans give up on VA & NH??  (Read 3093 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2007, 11:11:08 AM »

Virginia is a lost cause, however, NH is certainly winnable.  They should focus their money on CO, NH, LA, NM, MN.  If they feel like getting a little risky they could run some ads in SD if they get a top-flight candidate as well as IA if they can get someone to run
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2007, 11:36:57 AM »

The proposition of Republicans "giving up" in NH is ridiculous, as long as Sununu doesn't have somewhere else pressing to be between now and Election Day.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2007, 12:40:26 PM »

The proposition of Republicans "giving up" in NH is ridiculous, as long as Sununu doesn't have somewhere else pressing to be between now and Election Day.

They gave up on Pennsylvania and Ohio last year.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2007, 12:55:16 PM »

Virginia is a lost cause, however, NH is certainly winnable.  They should focus their money on CO, NH, LA, NM, MN.  If they feel like getting a little risky they could run some ads in SD if they get a top-flight candidate as well as IA if they can get someone to run

I disagree that New Hampshire is winnable.  Sunnunu barely won the state in 2002, in 2008 there is a strong anti-Republican feeling, especially in anti-war states like New Hampshire.  He has not even been close in any poll as of yet, and that will not change.  Their only hope of picking up a seat is in Louisiana, they should focus a lot of their resources there, and in holding on in Oregon and Minnesota.  Iowa is not going to happen, Harkin is looking for his 5th term; if you can't unseat them by term 3, then it is a waste of time to try.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2007, 01:36:54 PM »

I disagree that New Hampshire is winnable.  Sunnunu barely won the state in 2002, in 2008 there is a strong anti-Republican feeling, especially in anti-war states like New Hampshire.  He has not even been close in any poll as of yet, and that will not change.  Their only hope of picking up a seat is in Louisiana, they should focus a lot of their resources there, and in holding on in Oregon and Minnesota.  Iowa is not going to happen, Harkin is looking for his 5th term; if you can't unseat them by term 3, then it is a waste of time to try.
It is impossible for to know what the feeling will be in 2008, we can only assume.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2007, 02:25:48 PM »

I thought they dumped cash into Ohio until as late as October.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2007, 03:47:55 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2007, 03:52:45 PM by Ogre Mage »

At this early stage no.  However, at some point next summer/early fall they will have to start making some hard decisions, especially if their cash disadvantage continues.  In VA and NH it looks like they will need a "macaca" incident by Warner or Shaheen to win.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2007, 01:14:50 PM »

I thought they dumped cash into Ohio until as late as October.

They did.  They stayed in it pretty long in Ohio but gave up at the very end.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2007, 01:33:34 PM »

While I'm loath to call a Senate race this far out, I'm confident in my prediction that Mark Warner will easily win in VA.  The NRSC should not spend a dime against Warner.

Sununu is salvageable because of Shaheen's many mistakes as governor.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2007, 01:57:06 PM »

Sununu is salvageable because of Shaheen's many mistakes as governor.

She proved to be a pretty lousy campaigner, too.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2007, 05:58:09 PM »

My first reaction is that it would be silly for the GOP to 'give up' on either of these.. but then again, it is hard to get used to the idea of a GOP with such limited funds. 

Let me give an order of 'spending priority' for the GOP:

1) Minnesota
2) Colorado
3) Louisiana
4) New Mexico
5) Oregon
6) New Hampshire
7) Virginia
Cool Maine

Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2007, 01:07:59 PM »

My first reaction is that it would be silly for the GOP to 'give up' on either of these.. but then again, it is hard to get used to the idea of a GOP with such limited funds. 

1) Minnesota
2) Colorado
3) Louisiana
4) New Mexico
5) Oregon
6) New Hampshire
7) Virginia
Cool Maine

I think the NRSC needs to go on the offense badly in Louisiana.  Whoever the Republican candidate is there will need cash more than any GOP endangered incumbent will; Coleman and Smith have already $3-4 million each.  They can defend whoever if needs be, but if either Minnesota and Oregon are going to be lost, they won't be able to do much to aid either Coleman or Smith.  Dole might be able to use a bit of help from the NRSC in order to discourage the Democrats.  At this stage, however, it seems like Kentucky rather than North Carolina could be a better target for the DSCC - McConnell has over $6 million though, and shouldn't need much help from the NRSC.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2007, 01:29:05 PM »

1) Minnesota
2) Colorado
3) Louisiana
4) New Mexico
5) Oregon
6) New Hampshire
7) Virginia
Cool Maine

I think the NRSC needs to go on the offense badly in Louisiana.  Whoever the Republican candidate is there will need cash more than any GOP endangered incumbent will; Coleman and Smith have already $3-4 million each.  They can defend whoever if needs be, but if either Minnesota and Oregon are going to be lost, they won't be able to do much to aid either Coleman or Smith.  Dole might be able to use a bit of help from the NRSC in order to discourage the Democrats.  At this stage, however, it seems like Kentucky rather than North Carolina could be a better target for the DSCC - McConnell has over $6 million though, and shouldn't need much help from the NRSC.

If John Kennedy doesn't run in Louisiana, Landreiu's safe. I still think Landreiu will win reelection regardless of her opponent. She's become Mrs. Pork, bringing home the federal bacon for communities all across Louisiana. As long as she continues to stake out moderate positions, she'll win reelection, albeit by a typically close margin.
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2007, 03:50:04 PM »

The Republicans should not give up on any of the states they hold, but if they were smart they would kick Sununu and Stevens to the curb and get new candidates.  If Sununu is trailing as badly as people here are saying then he is dead on arrival.  Incumbents don't poll significantly below their challengers and end up winning.  Rick Santorum in Pennsylvania was trailing Bobby Casey last year since the day Casey entered the race and Santorum got obliterated.

Stevens is another whose arm they need to twist into retirement.  Despite how reliably Republican Alaska is, with all the scandal surrounding him he can certainly be taken down in the general.  Same deal with Don Young, the Alaskan Congressman at large.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2007, 05:42:37 PM »

The Republicans should not give up on any of the states they hold, but if they were smart they would kick Sununu and Stevens to the curb and get new candidates.  If Sununu is trailing as badly as people here are saying then he is dead on arrival.  Incumbents don't poll significantly below their challengers and end up winning.  Rick Santorum in Pennsylvania was trailing Bobby Casey last year since the day Casey entered the race and Santorum got obliterated.

I agree with you on Stevens, but the problem with Sununu is not that he is a bad candidate, or that he is involved in scandal.  The problem with Sununu is that he is a Republican Senator in a state still upset with Republicans.  So far as I am concerned, Sununu is the GOP's best candidate to hold the seat.  The bench got wiped out in 2006.

In comparison, Stevens and Young are in trouble only because they have themselves to blame, and virtually any Republican would be an improvement there.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2007, 06:01:42 PM »

Sunnunu barely won the state in 2002, in 2008 there is a strong anti-Republican feeling, especially in anti-war states like New Hampshire.

Comfy margin for "barely."

Some reason you are bumping as many comatose threads as Stark?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies