NE-Senate-GOP-Primary: Bruning internal poll shows Johanns ahead
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:24:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NE-Senate-GOP-Primary: Bruning internal poll shows Johanns ahead
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NE-Senate-GOP-Primary: Bruning internal poll shows Johanns ahead  (Read 2533 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 16, 2007, 01:05:40 AM »

Attorney General Jon Bruning says a statewide poll conducted for his Senate campaign shows “a tight two-way race” between Bruning and Secretary of Agriculture Mike Johanns, a possible candidate for the GOP nomination.

And if the Republican primary for United States Senate were held today between Jon Bruning, Mike Johanns and Hal Daub, for whom would you vote? And would you DEFINITELY vote for or PROBABLY vote for ?

Definitely Mike Johanns - 21%
Probably Mike Johanns - 18%
COMBINED Mike Johanns - 39%

Definitely Jon Bruning - 16%
Probably Jon Bruning - 14%
COMBINED Jon Bruning - 30%

Definitely Hal Daub - 6%
Probably Hal Daub - 9%
COMBINED Hal Daub - 15%

Not sure/Refused - 16%

The poll, conducted September 10-12 by Dresner-Wickers and Associates, surveyed 400 residents registered Republican considered likely to vote in the 2008 Republican primary election. The margin of error was given as plus or minus 4 percent.

http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2007/09/14/46eace5302cbb
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 10:56:09 PM »

Anyone seriously know the odds of Johanns running here?  (It'd be a huge breath of relief for the GOP, in any case.)
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 11:16:46 PM »

Anyone seriously know the odds of Johanns running here?  (It'd be a huge breath of relief for the GOP, in any case.)

7:4. Seriously, my guess is he's waiting for Kerrey to announce.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 05:03:13 PM »

What happened to Tom Osborne politically?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 05:05:20 PM »

What happened to Tom Osborne politically?

I forget the details, but I think he pissed off farmers somehow.  Which is a bad idea for a congressman from NE-3 running an insurgent primary campaign against a respected incumbent.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 05:19:38 PM »

Okay, so from what I've read thus far, Johanns seems likely to be a candidate here.  I have little doubt now that the GOP should hold this one.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 05:34:25 PM »

Okay, so from what I've read thus far, Johanns seems likely to be a candidate here.  I have little doubt now that the GOP should hold this one.

You really think Kerrey vs. Johanns is slam dunk for the GOP?  Considering Nebraska, like the Dakotas, has a long tradition of sending Democrats to the Senate to tend to farm interests,  its unlikely this race will be an easy hold for the Republicans.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 06:34:31 PM »

You really think Kerrey vs. Johanns is slam dunk for the GOP?  Considering Nebraska, like the Dakotas, has a long tradition of sending Democrats to the Senate to tend to farm interests,  its unlikely this race will be an easy hold for the Republicans.

Specifically, Nebraska has a long history of sending former Governors to the Senate.  I don't think a Kerrey/Johanns race would be a "slam dunk" for Republicans, but I do think Johanns would win it outside the margin of error.

Not to harp on the same things, but Kerrey hasn't even been living in the state since leaving the Senate.  And even considering that, his last re-election bid wasn't ultra-impressive: he only won it by 10% after outspending his opponent 5:2.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 06:42:14 PM »

Specifically, Nebraska has a long history of sending former Governors to the Senate.  I don't think a Kerrey/Johanns race would be a "slam dunk" for Republicans, but I do think Johanns would win it outside the margin of error.

Not to harp on the same things, but Kerrey hasn't even been living in the state since leaving the Senate.  And even considering that, his last re-election bid wasn't ultra-impressive: he only won it by 10% after outspending his opponent 5:2.

I agree that Johanns has an edge. But I'm not sure Johanns want to run in this climate.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 06:55:58 PM »

By the way, that brings up a good question: Who the heck was Jan Stoney?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 07:01:10 PM »

I think she worked for a telco.  She was an "I own an Italian suit, so I might as well run for Senate" type of candidate.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 07:02:31 PM »

I think she worked for a telco.  She was an "I own an Italian suit, so I might as well run for Senate" type of candidate.

Ah, nobody.  Okay, that's what I figured, but that can be somewhat hard to confirm.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 07:04:40 PM »

Here's a quote from a Time article :"It's the Gingrich gospel you hear in the words of voters like David Bywater, 26, a Nebraskan who is supporting Republican newcomer Jan Stoney against Senator Bob Kerrey. "'Seniority means you've been around too long."'
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,981737,00.html?promoid=googlep

I just realized that Kerrey's supposedly weak win was in 1994, the best GOP year in Congressional elections since the days of Ike. I'm no longer impressed by a GOPer getting 45% in such as good GOP year. Even powerful Senator Baucus barely won in '96 against a then no-name Republican (who later became Montana's Congressman).  The 90's were a tough time for Western Democrats.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 03:02:59 AM »

Q. What do Bob Kerrey and Bill Weld have in common?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 11:39:00 AM »

They both spent the last year trying to pick up women in New York City bars?
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 04:14:20 AM »

Close enough!
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2007, 09:15:21 AM »

by: Kyle Michaelis
Sat Sep 22, 2007 at 01:09:10 AM CDT

Attorney General Jon Bruning can no longer fuel his campaign for the U.S. Senate by attacking the soon-to-be-retired Chuck Hagel.  With the new dynamics of a Hagel-free Senate race, you might think Bruning would change styles and adopt a less divisive tone, but his response to Mike Johanns' resignation as Secretary of Agriculture suggests Bruning has grown to like the taste of blood and won't be giving up without a fight.

Bruning on Johanns' departure before completing the 2007 Farm Bill:

"This was an opportunity to have someone fighting for our primary economic engine...Not only did [Johanns] leave early, he didn't do a particularly good job fighting for Nebraska while he was there." (Omaha World-Herald, 09/21/2007)

Having cornered himself by firebombing Hagel and earlier staking his claim with Tom Osborne against Gov. Dave Heineman in the 2006 gubernatorial primary, Bruning might have no choice but to remain committed to a win-at-any-cost strategy as a matter of survival.

Bruning is campaigning like a man who has seen the writing on the wall for his political career.  It seems he understands that he's burnt too many bridges with the entrenched Republican leadership, leaving the 2008 Senate race make-or-break time with Nebraska voters if he's ever going to fulfill his endless ambitions.

Of course, Bruning wasn't alone amongst Republicans taking issue with Johanns' resignation.  Hal Daub told the World-Herald, "I feel it's unfortunate that he has decided to quit his job as secretary of agriculture, a Cabinet post that could have been instrumental in securing the passage of a strong farm bill - legislation that is so desperately needed by our state's farmers, ranchers and agribusiness owners."

There's a world of difference, though, between the respective responses by Bruning and Daub.  Both might question the timing of Johanns' resignation, but only Bruning criticizes Johanns' performance during the two-and-a-half years he actually served as Secretary of Agriculture.

Jon Bruning says Mike Johanns "didn't do a particularly good job fighting for Nebraska."  If he hopes to win in 2008, that's a charge Bruning is going to have to make stick.  Not an easy task but not an impossible one either - if only Bruning were a better Attorney General, more competent at making his case.

http://newnebraska.net/showDiary.do?diaryId=166
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 10:10:51 AM »

Bruning is an idiot. The only thing that he is going to do is lower Johanns margin of victory in the primary, and possibly make it a tougher race for Johanns in the general.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007, 03:02:43 PM »

Seriously, though, are Bruning and Johanns different in any significant, real, ideological way?
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2007, 03:19:19 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2007, 03:23:44 PM by MarkWarner08 »

I thought you meant Republican Congressman Mike Ferguson, who tried to pick up underage girls at a Georgetown party. "Ferguson ... grabbed her by the arm and pulled her towards him" -- 2003 WP article.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2007, 03:41:49 PM »

I thought you meant Republican Congressman Mike Ferguson, who tried to pick up underage girls at a Georgetown party. "Ferguson ... grabbed her by the arm and pulled her towards him" -- 2003 WP article.

Mike Ferguson is gonna lose that Nebraska Senate race 4 sure now  Sad

(PS: I can point out three significant mistakes within the first sentence alone.)
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2007, 03:53:14 PM »

(PS: I can point out three significant mistakes within the first sentence alone.)

Please correct my mistakes (if there are any) rather than obliquely referencing them. The students were under the drinking age, the quote is accurate, the incident indeed occurred in 2003, and the article was, in fact, in the venerable Washington Post, not some yellow journalism rag like the Murdoch owned NY Post.

On a different note, do you have any proof that Kerrey was cheating on his wife?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2007, 04:21:23 PM »

Please correct my mistakes (if there are any) rather than obliquely referencing them. The students were under the drinking age, the quote is accurate, the incident indeed occurred in 2003, and the article was, in fact, in the venerable Washington Post, not some yellow journalism rag like the Murdoch owned NY Post.

The incident you were referring to by quote involved (1) a 21-year-old; (2) happened at a bar; (3) needs the word "alleged;" and, I guess there's even a fourth mistake if you consider it has nothing to do with Nebraska.

On a different note, do you have any proof that Kerrey was cheating on his wife?

Nor do I have any proof that Bill Weld is picking up women in bars either.  It was a joke.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2007, 04:36:24 PM »

The incident you were referring to by quote involved (1) a 21-year-old; (2) happened at a bar; (3) needs the word "alleged;" and, I guess there's even a fourth mistake if you consider it has nothing to do with Nebraska.

Nor do I have any proof that Bill Weld is picking up women in bars either.  It was a joke.

I'd heard her age was 20, mea culpa on that point.  The bar where the incident occurred is largely frequented by college students. While the wasn't a sign saying "No Lecherous Congressman Allowed," the Congressman's posse interrupted a group that was from a younger age bracket. How is it "alleged" when the Congressman acknowledged that he took off his pin when he saw this woman? Non sequitur  =/= mistake

Thanks for clarifying a joke.  Back to Nebraska news: NYT says Kerryis having second thoughts about a Senate bid. http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/09/21/kerrey-is-still-mulling-a-senate-run/
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2007, 05:04:43 PM »

I'd heard her age was 20, mea culpa on that point.  The bar where the incident occurred is largely frequented by college students. While the wasn't a sign saying "No Lecherous Congressman Allowed," the Congressman's posse interrupted a group that was from a younger age bracket. How is it "alleged" when the Congressman acknowledged that he took off his pin when he saw this woman? Non sequitur  =/= mistake

Thanks for clarifying a joke.  Back to Nebraska news: NYT says Kerryis having second thoughts about a Senate bid. http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/09/21/kerrey-is-still-mulling-a-senate-run/

Still, underaged is assumed to be "under 18" here in the states.

And I heard about Kerrey—can't blame him.  This thing just went from a slam dunk to an uphill climb with Johanns.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies