The Northeast Regional Constitution- Final Vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:37:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Northeast Regional Constitution- Final Vote
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Northeast Regional Constitution- Final Vote  (Read 3546 times)
Justin
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 28, 2004, 06:14:06 PM »
« edited: July 28, 2004, 09:24:48 PM by Senate Candidate Justin »

This thread is for the ratification of the Northeast Regional Constitution. All it needs to pass is 50%+1. All Northeast members should vote in the above poll and vote by post to confirm your vote.

Here it is as agreed upon by the Northeast Regional Constitutional convention:

Preamble

Objects of government. We the people of the Northeast, in order to establish justice, insure tranquility, provide for our mutual defense, promote our common welfare, and secure ourselves our posterity and the blessings of liberty, acknowledging with grateful hearts the goodness of the Forum in affording us an opportunity, so favourable to the design; and, imploring Dave's aid and direction in its accomplishment, do agree to form ourselves into a free and independent Region, by the style and title of the Region of the Northeast and do ordain and establish the following Constitution for the government of the same.

Article I
The Charter of Human Freedoms and Rights

Sections

1.      Natural rights.
2.      Power inherent in people.
3.      Religious freedom; sects equal; religious tests prohibited; religious    teachers.
4.      Freedom of speech and publication; libel; truth given in evidence; jury determines law and fact.
5.      Rights of persons accused.
6.      Discrimination against persons prohibited.
7.    Attainder, ex post facto and contract-impairment laws prohibited.
8.    Suspension of laws.
9.    Right of petition.
10.    Right of redress for injuries.
11.    Trial by jury.
12.    Title of nobility prohibited; tenure of offices.
13.    Other rights not impaired.

The Charter of Rights and Freedoms

Section 1 - Natural rights.  All people are born equally free and independent, and have certain natural, inherent and unalienable rights, among which are those of enjoying and defending life and liberty, acquiring, possessing and protecting property, and pursuing and obtaining safety and happiness.

Section 2 - Power inherent in people.  All power is inherent in the people; all free governments are founded in their authority and instituted for their benefit; they have therefore an unalienable and indefeasible right to institute government, and to alter, reform, or totally change the same, when their safety and happiness requires it.

Section 3 - Religious freedom; sects equal; religious tests prohibited; religious teachers.  All individuals have a natural and unalienable right to worship or refrain from worshipping any particular deity according to the dictates of their own consciences, and no person shall be hurt, molested or restrained in that person's liberty or estate for worshipping or refraining to worship any deity in the manner and season most agreeable to the dictates of that person's own conscience, nor for that person's religious professions or sentiments, provided that that person does not disturb the public peace, nor obstruct others in their religious worship; -- and all persons demeaning themselves peaceably, as good members of the Region, shall be equally under the protection of the laws, and no subordination nor preference of any one sect or denomination to another shall ever be established by law, nor shall any religious test be required as a qualification for any office or trust, nor shall the government have a right to force its citizens to follow any particular religious teachings , under this Region; and all religious societies in this Region, whether incorporated or unincorporated, shall at all times have the exclusive right of electing their public teachers, and contracting with them for their support and maintenance with no interference from the government of the Region.

Section 4 - Freedom of speech and publication; libel; truth given in evidence; jury determines law and fact.  Every citizen may freely speak, write and publish sentiments on any subject on the Forum, being responsible for the abuse of this liberty; no laws shall be passed regulating or restraining the freedom of the press; and in prosecutions for any publication respecting the official conduct of people in public capacity, or the qualifications of those who are candidates for the elections of the people, or where the matter published is proper for public information, the truth thereof may be given in evidence, and in all indictments for libels, the jury, after having received the direction of the court, shall have a right to determine, at their discretion, the law and the fact.

Section 5 - Rights of persons accused.  In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall have a right to be heard by the accused and the legal counsel to the accused, or either, at the election of the accused; To demand the nature and cause of the accusation, and have a copy thereof; To be confronted by the witnesses against the accused; To have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in favour of the accused; To have a speedy, public and impartial trial, and, except in trials of impeachment, by a jury of the vicinity. The accused shall not be compelled to furnish or give evidence against himself or herself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, property or privileges, but by judgment of that person's peers or the law of the land.

Section 6 - Discrimination against persons prohibited.  No person shall be deprived of life, liberty or property without due process of law, nor be denied the equal protection of the laws, nor be denied the enjoyment of that person's civil rights or be discriminated against in the exercise thereof.

Section 7 - Attainder, ex post facto and contract-impairment laws prohibited.   The Legislature shall pass no bill of attainder, ex post facto law, nor law impairing the obligation of contracts, and no attainder shall work corruption of blood nor forfeiture of estate.

Section 8 - Suspension of laws.  The laws shall not be suspended but by the Executive or its authority.

Section 9 - Right of petition.  The people have a right at all times in an orderly and peaceable manner to assemble to consult upon the common good, to give instructions to their representatives, and to request, of either department of the government by petition or remonstrance, redress of their wrongs and grievances.

Section 10 - Right of redress for injuries.  Every person, for an injury inflicted on the person or the person's reputation, property or immunities, shall have remedy by due course of law; and right and justice shall be administered freely and without sale, completely and without denial, promptly and without delay.

Section 11 - Trial by jury.  In all civil suits, and in all controversies concerning property, the parties shall have a right to a trial by jury, except in cases where it has heretofore been otherwise practiced; the party claiming the right may be heard by himself or herself and with counsel, or either, at the election of the party.

Section 12 - Title of nobility prohibited; tenure of offices. No title of nobility or hereditary distinction, privilege, honour or emolument, shall ever be granted or confirmed, nor shall any office be created, the appointment to which shall be for a longer time than during good behaviour.

Section 13 - Other rights not impaired.  The enumeration of certain rights shall not impair nor deny others retained by the people.

Article II

Distribution of Powers

Section 1 - Powers distributed.  The powers of this government shall be divided into 3 distinct departments, the legislature, executive and judicial.

Section 2 - To be kept separate.  No person or persons, belonging to one of these departments, shall exercise any of the powers properly belonging to either of the others, except in the cases herein expressly directed or permitted.

Article III

The Roles of the Branches of the Region

Sections

1.   Determination of the Legislature
2.   Role of the Legislature
3.   Determination of the Executive
4.   Role of the Executive

Section I - Determination of the Legislature. The body of the Legislature will be composed of those deemed citizens of the Region of the Northeast, a determination made by those of the Legislative while not infringing on rights entailed in this Constitution, Article I.

Section II - Role of the Legislature. The Legislative body will have the right to propose, debate and vote on bills to enact laws, decrees, and amendments to the Constitution within the Legislative House or Legislature. The Right of Impeachment is the exclusive right of the Legislative body; to impeach the Governor requires 2/3 of the vote of the Legislature and just cause.

Section III - Determination of the Executive. The Executive branch will be determined by the majority vote by the people (or Legislature) of the Region every four months. The candidate receiving the most support will be named Governor. However, if there is a tie for first, the following week there will be a Runoff election for the two (or more) tying candidates, but no others. If after a Runoff election if another tie is the result the two candidates must meet and decided for one to concede power or enter in a joint power capacity. The role of Lieutenant Governor is appointed by the Governor and will act as Governor in his or her absence.

Section IV - Role of the Executive. The Executive has the power to make political appointments and to be the official representative of the Region to the rest of Atlas Forum. The Executive has the right to propose, debate and vote on bills, decrees and amendments to the Constitution. In addition the Governor has the ability to veto any or sign into law legislation within ten days, in the absence of any action within ten days the bill will enter law officially

JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 06:15:43 PM »

You are having the vote in a poll? That is ridiculous, that means anyone can vote, shouldn't it merely be those of your region?

Also, why is it you administering the vote rather than one of the two Governors?
Justin
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 06:16:47 PM »

I was given permission by the President of the Convention, Seige and Governor Andrew to post this final vote.
Justin
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 06:18:03 PM »

I vote Yea.
Justin
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 06:35:35 PM »

I haved edited  the thread to reflect the newly completed submitted article III by LT.Gov siege.
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 06:44:05 PM »

Aye.

This I think will meet the needs of the Region of the Northeast quite well, and I hope we can soon begin legislating.

Siege
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2004, 06:45:57 PM »

Aye.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2004, 10:01:25 PM »

Yea.  Although doing it as a poll is stupid, for the reason JFK pointed out.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 04:11:14 AM »
« Edited: July 29, 2004, 09:42:11 AM by Senator John F. Kennedy, PPT »

Can I just say good luck getting 20 votes for this, there are 39 people registered in the North-Eastern Region:

Gore for President   D   MA
Lidaker   D   MA
Kevinstat   D   ME
emergingDMajority   D   NJ
HockeyDude   D   NJ
Defarge   D   NY
Shapeshifter   D   NY
Smash255   D   NY
Esteban Manuel   D   PA
Umengus   D   VT
Old Europe   I   MA
PollsareCool   I   MA
Mort from NewYawk   I   NY
Supersoulty   I   PA
Handzus26   IP   PA
Dunn   P   NY
Dazzleman   R   CT
Bono   R   NH
NHPolitico   R   NH
Richard M Nixon   R   NJ
ZorkPolitics   R   NJ
Boss Tweed   R   NY
ChiaHead   R   PA
Darth Kosh   R   PA
Free Market Capitalist   R   PA
Keystone Phil   R   PA
Justin   UAC   NH
MAS117   UAC   NJ
.Andrew   UAC   NY
Huckleberry Finn   UAC   NY
Kemperor   UAC   NY
Nation   UAC   NY
Bergie72   UAC   PA
BullMoose88   UAC   PA
Blerpiez   UL   MA
Migrendel   UL   MA
Siege40   UL   ME
Zachman   UL   NH
Jens   UL   RI
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 04:11:33 AM »

aye
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 08:49:10 AM »

Can I just say good luck getting 20 votes for this, there are 39 people registered in the North-Eastern Region:

Gore for President   D   MA
Lidaker   D   MA
Kevinstat   D   ME
emergingDMajority   D   NJ
HockeyDude   D   NJ
Defarge   D   NY
Shapeshifter   D   NY
Smash255   D   NY
Esteban Manuel   D   PA
Umengus   D   VT
Old Europe   I   MA
PollsareCool   I   MA
Mort from NewYawk   I   NY
Supersoulty   I   PA
Handzus26   IP   PA
Dinn   P   NY
Dazzleman   R   CT
Bono   R   NH
NHPolitico   R   NH
Richard M Nixon   R   NJ
ZorkPolitics   R   NJ
Boss Tweed   R   NY
ChiaHead   R   PA
Darth Kosh   R   PA
Free Market Capitalist   R   PA
Keystone Phil   R   PA
Justin   UAC   NH
MAS117   UAC   NJ
.Andrew   UAC   NY
Huckleberry Finn   UAC   NY
Kemperor   UAC   NY
Nation   UAC   NY
Bergie72   UAC   PA
BullMoose88   UAC   PA
Blerpiez   UL   MA
Migrendel   UL   MA
Siege40   UL   ME
Zachman   UL   NH
Jens   UL   RI

To be fair, some of these people are gone, such as Dunn, who you named Dinn. Most people of the Region didn't give a damn while we were writing the Constitution and they won't likely take part in the act of governing, I figure if we close the poll next Wednesday as long as there's no serious opposition, I say it passes, however, I will try to contact those people.

Siege
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2004, 09:35:02 AM »

Minus those who've voted, I've contacted 15 people, in hopes that they will vote.

Siege
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2004, 09:42:22 AM »

That was a typo.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2004, 09:45:37 AM »

Aye. But I'm worried about the pool too.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2004, 10:31:25 AM »

Yay
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2004, 03:13:44 PM »

Aye
NHPolitico

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2004, 07:30:39 PM »

Aye.
zachman

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2004, 07:55:27 AM »

I approve this document which I haven't read.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2004, 06:25:39 PM »

I approve this document which I haven't read.

Good for you.  I also have a few papers regarding your financial situation to sign....
lidaker
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: 0.88, S: -4.67

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2004, 10:43:38 AM »

Aye
Justin
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2004, 01:34:06 AM »
« Edited: August 03, 2004, 01:35:01 AM by Senate Candidate Justin »

Seeing as there is no real opposition to this. Can we declare this ratified?
Justin
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2004, 11:01:27 PM »

It is now Midnight. With the approval of Governor Seige, I declare this constitution passed and debate open in the Northeast Legislature.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2004, 11:07:26 PM »

I approved of it Wink
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2004, 03:42:08 PM »

As the vote is concluded, and Chairman of the Northeast Constitution Committee I happily conclude both the committee and now declare the Northeast Legislature ready for business.

Siege
Kevinstat

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2004, 09:05:06 AM »

I approved too (I just read it), although I wouldn't have minded a system used for electing the Governor other than (essentially) first-past-the-post.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies