Murtha Says: Democracy Bad. It's getting in the Way of Ending th War
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:51:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Murtha Says: Democracy Bad. It's getting in the Way of Ending th War
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Murtha Says: Democracy Bad. It's getting in the Way of Ending th War  (Read 2112 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 17, 2007, 12:40:45 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070917/ap_on_go_co/us_iraq

Murtha: Primaries may stall Iraq action By KIMBERLY HEFLING, Associated Press Writer
18 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Rep. John Murtha predicted Monday that Democrats will not be able to pass any meaningful legislation to end the Iraq war until presidential primary elections are over next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Murtha, a Vietnam veteran and war critic who chairs the appropriations subcommittee overseeing defense spending, conceded that not as many Republicans had broken with President Bush as many Democrats had predicted.

"As soon as the primaries are over, you're going to see Republicans jumping ship," Murtha, D-Pa., said in a speech at the National Press Club.

He said it will be difficult to get the 60 votes needed in the Senate to pass a withdrawal measure through Congress. Primaries are scheduled into next June.

"I see what happens to a Republican when they say we ought to start to get out," Murtha said. "They bash them. I mean they attack them viscerally and of course they're the ones that nominate them. Until that plays out we're going to have a problem."

After the speech, Murtha said he's been told privately by some Republicans who publicly support the war that they are opposed to it.

Senate Democrats have expressed confidence that they can pass legislation to give troops more rest between Iraq deployments, a measure aimed at pressing the Bush administration to change its war policy.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates called the proposal by Sen. Jim Webb, D-Va., a dangerous "backdoor way" to draw down additional forces. Gates said he would recommend a veto.

"If we get this next phase wrong — no matter how you feel about how we got to where we are, the consequences of getting this wrong for Iraq, for the region, for us are enormous," he said Sunday.

President Bush last week announced plans for a limited drawdown but indicated combat forces would stay in Iraq well past 2008.

The Senate was scheduled to resume debate this week on anti-war legislation, including Webb's proposal to require that troops have as much time at their home station as they do deployed to Iraq.

Supporters of Webb's measure say it has at least 57 of the 60 votes needed. It would need 67 votes to override a veto.

A separate proposal by Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., seeks to restrict troops' mission to fighting terrorists and training the Iraqi security force.

If Webb's amendment were enacted, Gates said it would force him to consider again extending tours in Iraq. Military commanders would be constrained in the use of available forces, creating gaps and forcing greater use of the National Guard and Reserve, he said.

"It would be extremely difficult for us to manage that. It really is a backdoor way to try and force the president to accelerate the drawdown," Gates said. "Again, the drawdowns have to be based on the conditions on the ground."

Active-duty Army units currently are on 15-month deployments with a promise of no more than 12 months rest. Marines who spend seven or more months at war sometimes get six months or less at home.

Bush said last week that he approved a plan by Gen. David Petraeus, the top U.S. commander in Iraq, to withdraw 5,700 troops from Iraq by the holidays and reduce the force from 20 combat brigades to 15 brigades by next July.

The president has ordered Petraeus to make a further assessment and recommendations in March.

There are about 169,000 U.S. troops in Iraq.

Gates on Friday raised the possibility of cutting troop levels to 100,000 or so by the end of next year, well beyond the cuts Bush announced, in what appeared to be a conciliatory gesture to anti-war Democrats and some wary Republicans.

But on Sunday, Gates said he could not say how large the force would be in the coming years, stressing that it would depend on whether the security situation in Iraq had improved dramatically.

Gates spoke on "Fox News Sunday" and "This Week" on ABC. Reed was on ABC and Levin appeared on "Face the Nation" on CBS.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Murtha has clearly brought into question democracy and is ability to achieve his goals.  If a Republican state something similiar, except said that it was getting in the war on conductiong the war, then "Civil Libertarians" would all go apesh**t.  Let's see how they respond, if at all.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 02:09:10 PM »

Democracy is not working in Iraq and we shouldn't impose our style of government on them.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 02:29:09 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070917/ap_on_go_co/us_iraq
He said it will be difficult to get the 60 votes needed in the Senate to pass a withdrawal measure through Congress. Primaries are scheduled into next June.

Why would it need 60? I mean, the Republicans couldn't possibly be hypocrites about obstructionism, could they?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 03:51:07 PM »

I'm struggling and failing to understand how the given headline as this topic title has anything at all to do with the content of the article posted.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 03:54:43 PM »

I'm struggling and failing to understand how the given headline as this topic title has anything at all to do with the content of the article posted.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 03:56:26 PM »

Even if he was opposing some level of democracy, isn't that kind of inherent in Iraq?  It's not like we can go in there, say "function democratically now!" and they'll be all copacetic.

And, yes, what does this headline have to do with the article?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 04:04:57 PM »

Basically, Murtha is saying the 2008 elections are interfering with any plan to retreat from Iraq because Republicans and Democrats do not want to risk losing their seats.  Ergo, democracy, or the democratic process, is interfering with what he wants.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 04:08:55 PM »

Basically, Murtha is saying the 2008 elections are interfering with any plan to retreat from Iraq because Republicans and Democrats do not want to risk losing their seats.  Ergo, democracy, or the democratic process, is interfering with what he wants.

We could either assume he's:

1. Complaining about a side effect of the democratic system that he doesn't like.

2. Suggesting we end democracy because it's inconvenient.

It's subject to interpretation, but I'm going to go with door number one, here.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 04:11:45 PM »

hahaha . . . I'm going with door #3:  "This is Murtha.  Who cares?"
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 04:44:28 PM »

It should be obvious, Gabu.  Murtha is saying that the Democratic process in the US involved with the primaries is disrupting the way we should conduct the war in Iraq.

If a Republican made a similar claim, then people would be screaming, as the have been, that the Republicans are destroying the 1st Ammendment by criticizing democracy and free speech for hurting the war effort/troops/whatever.

I mean, we have to be fair here, right?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 04:45:42 PM »

hahaha . . . I'm going with door #3:  "This is Murtha.  Who cares?"

Yeah, but if the Republican mayor of Pudunk had made a claim that seemed to go against the Democratic process then the Democrats would dive all over it.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 04:54:08 PM »

I think it's always odd when someone defends posting a political synapse misfire with "if (poster's party) did it, the (opposite party)s would be all over it!"

If that bugs you, why do the same thing?  An eye for an eye only annoys those of us who don't go around poking people's eyes out.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 04:55:22 PM »

If that bugs you, why do the same thing?

Soulty isn't exactly sane, you know.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 04:57:33 PM »

The satire was quite intentional.  I'm merely demonstarting the absurdity of the other side by being absurd.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 04:59:29 PM »

It doesn't really count as satire if reasonable people can't tell that it's satire.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2007, 07:03:15 PM »

It doesn't really count as satire if reasonable people can't tell that it's satire.

Plenty of reasonable people freak out when GOP Senator A says that what the Democrats are doing with politics is undermining the war effort.  Reasonable people aren't always as reasonable as the ought to be.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007, 07:08:32 PM »

Plenty of reasonable people freak out when GOP Senator A says that what the Democrats are doing with politics is undermining the war effort.  Reasonable people aren't always as reasonable as the ought to be.

You're using the same ridiculous logic again.  "It's OK to do it, even though it's bad, if other people do it."  It does nothing but take away your own high ground.  Why bother?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 10:01:39 PM »

You're using the same ridiculous logic again.  "It's OK to do it, even though it's bad, if other people do it."  It does nothing but take away your own high ground.  Why bother?

Do you not understand, like I said, that I know I am being ridiculous by saying what I said?  If I were being hypocritical, then arguements about the moral highground would make sense.  They don't apply here, because I am not being blindly hypocritical.  I am making a point about how assinine most of those arguements are by flipping the situation around.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 01:26:32 PM »

Do you not understand, like I said, that I know I am being ridiculous by saying what I said?  If I were being hypocritical, then arguements about the moral highground would make sense.  They don't apply here, because I am not being blindly hypocritical.  I am making a point about how assinine most of those arguements are by flipping the situation around.

I understand that.  I was just trying to explain that it just looks like the same old ridiculous arguments to everyone else.  Unless it's obvious that it's satire, when someone posts something like this about a politician or cause they don't like, it's very hard to guess.  So you can hardly blame people for reacting this way...
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2007, 08:38:27 PM »

Murtha is still stuck in about 1975.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2007, 10:09:10 PM »

No, because in 1975, we were done with a horrible quagmire of a war.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies