Are the Dakotas part of the Bible Belt?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 10:42:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Are the Dakotas part of the Bible Belt?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Are the Dakotas part of the Bible Belt?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Are the Dakotas part of the Bible Belt?  (Read 3281 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 18, 2007, 11:03:51 AM »

No.

Harry said there was actually prayers at his graduation. The thought of that happening at mine is laughable.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 11:14:51 AM »

No. The Bible Belt refers specifically to the Southern Baptists.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 11:15:52 AM »

No. The Bible Belt refers specifically to the Southern Baptists.

Yes, this is the point I've been trying to get across for a long time...
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 11:18:36 AM »

No, although they are (IIRC) the two states with the fewest non-religious people.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 12:25:13 PM »

Just for the record, I never claimed that the Dakotas were part of the Bible Belt, or anything.

But yes, we had opening and closing prayers at graduation, said by the people whose class ranks were #3 and #4.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 02:07:24 PM »

Just for the record, I never claimed that the Dakotas were part of the Bible Belt, or anything.

But yes, we had opening and closing prayers at graduation, said by the people whose class ranks were #3 and #4.

That is scary.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 02:20:54 PM »

Good thing I don't live in Mississippi.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 02:39:16 PM »

Let's see....

... ummm, nope.

As far as prayers at graduation goes, that happens in many states outside the "Bible belt," and it was a common practice in most (if not all) states before most of you were born. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 02:40:27 PM »

As far as prayers at graduation goes, that happens in many states outside the "Bible belt"

Harry is the first person I've heard who's reported such a thing.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 02:48:51 PM »

Let's see....

... ummm, nope.

As far as prayers at graduation goes, that happens in many states outside the "Bible belt," and it was a common practice in most (if not all) states before most of you were born. 

Yeah. That is pretty sad.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 03:27:08 PM »

That is scary.
I don't think it's really appropriate, but if I had been #4, I probably would have done it just to get a chance to speak.  I would have made it VERY Catholic though, just so I could make most of the audience uncomfortable.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 03:38:35 PM »

You should have done the Lord's prayer in Latin:

PATER noster, qui es in caelis, sanctificetur nomen tuum. Adveniat regnum tuum. Fiat voluntas tua, sicut in caelo et in terra. Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie, et dimitte nobis debita nostra sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris. Et ne nos inducas in tentationem, sed libera nos a malo. Amen.

And in Old English... just to creep them out more:

Fęder ure,
 žu že eart on heofonum,
 si žin nama gehalgod.
 Tobecume žin rice.
 Gewurže šin willa on eoršan swa swa on heofonum.
 Urne gedęghwamlican hlaf syle us to dęg.
 And forgyf us ure gyltas, swa swa we forgyfaš urum gyltendum.
 And ne gelęd žu us on costnunge,
 ac alys us of yfele. Sožlice.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 03:40:12 PM »

No.  Coservative religious states are not Bible Belt states - it has to do with Southern Baptists.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 03:50:01 PM »

My guess is that there isn't a lot of Bible reading going on in the Dakotas.  Sure, they're in church every Sunday.. and they're all God fearin' folk... every last one of 'em.. and you won't find a back room in their video stores.. because they leave that filth to the Sin Cities, a.k.a Minneapolis/St. Paul.

But church is seen more as a social function.. a binding of the community fabric where people go to commune with each other in fellowship through a common bond.  They care more about the dress that Mrs. Olson wore to the community dance and the faltering marriage of the Gundersons than they do about whether their children are taught creationism or evolution in schools.  It is all spelled out quite clearly in Garrison Keillor's Prairie Home Companion.  It's not funny because Keillor is a funny guy with a great imagination.. it's funny because no matter how silly and made up it seems, we can all relate to it somehow... down to the gloriously decorated school gymnasium full of paper plates and plastic streamers  and hot dish and jello salad that Marlene and Phyllis prepared to celebrate the graduating class.

There is a huge difference between the conservative, humbled Christians of the Dakotas (especially North Dakota) and the self-serving, individualistic, materialistic Chall (mall-church) goin, tongues speaking, screaming and falling on the floor and judgment casting "y'all're goin ta hell.." *spit* .. *TING!!!* Southern Baptists.  A HUGE difference.  And if you don't recognize that, then you need to spend more time in flyover country.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 04:11:45 PM »

The Bible Belt specifically refers to the regions of America where Southern Baptists are in the majority, as has been said before.  A state has to be more than just conservative and religious (what state isn't religious, demographically speaking?) to be part of the Bible Belt.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2007, 04:23:17 PM »

That is scary.
I don't think it's really appropriate, but if I had been #4, I probably would have done it just to get a chance to speak.  I would have made it VERY Catholic though, just so I could make most of the audience uncomfortable.

That would be funny. Are you a Catholic Harry? I was one years and years ago.
J.G.H.
Zeus
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2007, 04:44:36 PM »

No, as has already been said; in S. Dakota, I did not have any prayers at my graduation but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see that happening among the smaller schools (I went to a- relatively speaking, of course- larger high school)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2007, 06:12:38 PM »

i graduated from high school in nc.

it has been so long now i cant really remember if a prayer was said.

if it was, im sure i bowed my head and prayed like any god-fearing man would do.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 06:44:56 PM »

i graduated from high school in nc.

it has been so long now i cant really remember if a prayer was said.

if it was, im sure i bowed my head and prayed like any god-fearing man would do.

...and now you get to pray for Fred Thompson and Larry Craig everyday. Congrats.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2007, 08:57:41 PM »

That is scary.

more or less...I haven't been to Mass in a long time, and I really don't like the pope, but I still identify myself as Catholic if people ask
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2007, 09:01:56 PM »

That is scary.

more or less...I haven't been to Mass in a long time, and I really don't like the pope, but I still identify myself as Catholic if people ask

I don't.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2007, 10:31:15 PM »

harry you should just understand that brtd hates the south and southerners.

but as a southerner myself, i know that mississippi couldnt be any worse than north fing dakota.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2007, 10:38:25 PM »

harry you should just understand that brtd hates the south and southerners.

but as a southerner myself, i know that mississippi couldnt be any worse than north fing dakota.

Um, North Dakota has gay bars. Try finding those in Mississippi. Also no school prayer, no one b!tches about the school system teaching evolution, no dry counties, very liberal gambling laws (my dad used to have a job as a black jack dealer at a local bar. Bars are allowed to have black jack and poker gambling there. Doubt that's the case in Mississippi.) and a lottery. ND also has more strip clubs per capita and more "scene" things and people (which isn't saying much of course, but MS is literally basically a giant "scene" black hole. Yet one of the hottest new bands out there is from ND [and one of my high school buddies is roommates with one of the members]). And Fargo is larger than any city in MS except Jackson, and Bismarck is larger than any except Jackson and Gulfport, so ND isn't even necessarily more rural (at least not in the places where the people I know live)

I'd certainly rather live in neither, but ND is better than MS.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2007, 10:40:03 PM »

That is scary.

I don't.
Neither do I. Agnostic all the way, although my godparents still give me bad looks.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2007, 10:42:12 PM »

well brtd, i have to be honest with you...

ive lived in the north and ive lived in the south.

i cant see where the north is any more sophisticated.

unless you are going to tell me that nd > ma.   which may be possible, actually.  i wouldnt be surprised.

ive been shocked in my 2 years in mass.  all i can say is....police state!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies