Nebraska Senate 2008: Johanns Will Run for Hagel's Senate Seat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:50:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Nebraska Senate 2008: Johanns Will Run for Hagel's Senate Seat
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nebraska Senate 2008: Johanns Will Run for Hagel's Senate Seat  (Read 2022 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 19, 2007, 10:51:15 AM »

Secretary of Agriculture Mike Johanns (R) "has decided to resign from President Bush’s cabinet to return to Nebraska and enter the 2008 Senate race," reports the Lincoln Journal Star.

A formal announcement is expected next week.

Johanns, a former two-term Republican governor, will face Attorney General Jon Bruning (R) and Former Omaha Mayor Hal Daub (R) in the GOP primary.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2007/09/19/johanns_will_run_for_hagels_senate_seat.html
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 11:03:30 AM »

Glad I bailed on Dem-to-win-NE when I did.  This should be a GOP hold now.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 11:14:33 AM »

Glad I bailed on Dem-to-win-NE when I did.  This should be a GOP hold now.

I agree.  Johanns is the strongest candidate for this seat. 
Conan
conan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 08:12:37 PM »

Some great news for the GOP.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 04:24:38 AM »

Republican pickup.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 07:29:17 AM »

But the Republicans already hold this seat....

I wouldnt give up on this race yet. I think that Kerrey's gonna put up a tougher fight than anyone wants to give him credit for. Im gonna make a prediction right here and now that the Dems will pick up this sea, so nyeh. Tongue Smiley
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 07:35:01 AM »

Didn´t Kerrey commit a massacre among civilians in the Vietnam war ?

Another choice between Ebola and AIDS then ... Tongue
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 07:53:29 AM »

Yeah, with Hagel.

Republican pickup.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 09:25:04 PM »

Yeah, with Hagel.

Republican pickup.
Ooohhhh.....you mean [batsh!t crazy wing of the] Republican [Party] pickup. I see.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 02:18:21 AM »

As opposed to the thriving Jack Javits wing of the Nebraska GOP?
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 03:05:39 AM »

I'm increasingly thinking that Kerrey will not run. 

Sure, Bruning is throwing punches at Mike Johanns but thats more likely to hurt him than Johanns.  Upper plains states have a lower tolerance for political nastiness than a lot of other states (unfortunately that didn't stop Thune, but it certainly was close!).

I'm thinking the seat is likely to stay GOP at this point.

Not that Democrats should give up on Nebraska...  its just that they need not feel so bad about their less than even prospects there given the other opportunities that are availing themselves this cycle.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 09:05:51 AM »

Sure, Bruning is throwing punches at Mike Johanns but thats more likely to hurt him than Johanns.  Upper plains states have a lower tolerance for political nastiness than a lot of other states (unfortunately that didn't stop Thune, but it certainly was close!).

Not that Democrats should give up on Nebraska...  its just that they need not feel so bad about their less than even prospects there given the other opportunities that are availing themselves this cycle.

If Kerrey announces that he will not run for the Senate, as I agree is looking more likely, I think the DSCC will attempt to woo either Omaha Mayor Mike Fahey or Scott Kleeb in that order. 
defe07

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 01:09:15 PM »

Or better yet, Republican hold.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 10:18:33 PM »

If Kerrey announces that he will not run for the Senate, as I agree is looking more likely, I think the DSCC will attempt to woo either Omaha Mayor Mike Fahey or Scott Kleeb in that order. 

Kerrey loses to Johanns by about 10;
Fahey loses to Johanns by about 15–20;
Kleeb loses to Johanns by about 20–30.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 12:36:17 AM »

But Kleeb has the 'net roots!
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007, 12:49:43 AM »

I'm amazed at how a (R) seat in a VERY red state could even be thought of as competitive. Anyway, for what it's worth, My 2008 senate prediction is this:

Dem gains: VA, NH, CO, MN
GOP gains: LA

Dems: 52-46-2
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2007, 04:47:07 AM »

By Aaron Blake
September 27, 2007

Former Rep. Hal Daub (R-Neb.) will drop out of race to replace Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.) on Friday, according to Nebraska GOP sources.

Daub announced Thursday that he would make a “major announcement” on Friday morning at 10 a.m. EST at the Omaha Press Club. He said he would not respond to press inquiries before the announcement.

According to the sources, Daub conducted polling on the race and found he had a long way to go to compete with former Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns (R), who is expected to announce his candidacy soon.

The move would come just days after Daub launched radio and television ads and two weeks after he officially entered the race.

http://thehill.com/campaign-2008/daub-to-drop-bid-for-senate-nebraska-sources-say-2007-09-27.html
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2007, 08:26:26 PM »

I'm amazed at how a (R) seat in a VERY red state could even be thought of as competitive. Anyway, for what it's worth, My 2008 senate prediction is this:

Way too early to tell. As of now, I'd guess the Dems have an edge in VA, NH, and CO. Franken would probably lose to Coleman. LA, despite the population changes, is not a done deal for the GOP. John Kennedy is not the GOP's top challenger and Landreiu has a knack for surviving in Presidential years (1996). Of course, who could forget the GOP's failed 2002 "Operation: Icing on the Cake."
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2007, 01:23:11 AM »

Way too early to tell. As of now, I'd guess the Dems have an edge in VA, NH, and CO. Franken would probably lose to Coleman. LA, despite the population changes, is not a done deal for the GOP. John Kennedy is not the GOP's top challenger and Landreiu has a knack for surviving in Presidential years (1996). Of course, who could forget the GOP's failed 2002 "Operation: Icing on the Cake."

Honestly, Louisiana on a whole is tons more Republican now than it was in 1996, not even counting the fact that a hurricane displaced a solid chunk of its Democratic electorate.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2007, 12:35:16 PM »

Honestly, Louisiana on a whole is tons more Republican now than it was in 1996, not even counting the fact that a hurricane displaced a solid chunk of its Democratic electorate.

I agree with you about Lousiana's demographic shift since 1996. The one issue here is dod the Republicans have a candidate that can beat Mary Landreiu. Her last two opponent were sub-par and nearly beat her, but they still lost.

John Kennedy has been loathed by the GOP for years and now he expects to become the party's standardbearer against Landreiu? If the Democrat can focus this race on parochial issues and her general effectiveness, the Republicans will once again blow a chance to pick up this seat.

Did I mention the NRSC will be defending at least seven of their own party's seats? The NRSC's job is incumbent protection first, then offense. Kennedy will likely get pushed to the side when Gordon Smith, Susan Collins, and Norm Coleman come calling next October.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2007, 02:55:59 PM »

I agree with you about Lousiana's demographic shift since 1996. The one issue here is dod the Republicans have a candidate that can beat Mary Landreiu. Her last two opponent were sub-par and nearly beat her, but they still lost.

John Kennedy has been loathed by the GOP for years and now he expects to become the party's standardbearer against Landreiu? If the Democrat can focus this race on parochial issues and her general effectiveness, the Republicans will once again blow a chance to pick up this seat.

Did I mention the NRSC will be defending at least seven of their own party's seats? The NRSC's job is incumbent protection first, then offense. Kennedy will likely get pushed to the side when Gordon Smith, Susan Collins, and Norm Coleman come calling next October.

The NRSC can't afford to be totally focused on incumbent protection, and I think they know this.  It's almost guaranteed that they'll lose a seat somewhere, so they need to play offense somewhere to try and pick something up.

Besides, very few of the races are "incumbent" protection—seats like CO, VA, and NE are open seats without an incumbent.  Defending Sununu surely tops the list, and I'm sure Smith and Coleman will need help when the election heats up (Collins won't be getting much help unless Allen closes the gap, which is much easier said than done).

Other than that, picking up LA holds the same priority as holding CO.

And with respect to Louisiana, I doubt there's going to be much vitrol directed at John Kennedy for being a Democrat once—I mean, seriously, a majority of the current GOP base used to be Democrats at one point, and he wasn't objectionable enough to even draw a GOP opponent in 2003.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies