Nebraska Senate 2008: Johanns Will Run for Hagel's Senate Seat (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:09:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Nebraska Senate 2008: Johanns Will Run for Hagel's Senate Seat (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nebraska Senate 2008: Johanns Will Run for Hagel's Senate Seat  (Read 2027 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« on: September 19, 2007, 10:51:15 AM »

Secretary of Agriculture Mike Johanns (R) "has decided to resign from President Bush’s cabinet to return to Nebraska and enter the 2008 Senate race," reports the Lincoln Journal Star.

A formal announcement is expected next week.

Johanns, a former two-term Republican governor, will face Attorney General Jon Bruning (R) and Former Omaha Mayor Hal Daub (R) in the GOP primary.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2007/09/19/johanns_will_run_for_hagels_senate_seat.html
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 11:14:33 AM »

Glad I bailed on Dem-to-win-NE when I did.  This should be a GOP hold now.

I agree.  Johanns is the strongest candidate for this seat. 
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 09:05:51 AM »

I'm increasingly thinking that Kerrey will not run. 

Sure, Bruning is throwing punches at Mike Johanns but thats more likely to hurt him than Johanns.  Upper plains states have a lower tolerance for political nastiness than a lot of other states (unfortunately that didn't stop Thune, but it certainly was close!).

I'm thinking the seat is likely to stay GOP at this point.

Not that Democrats should give up on Nebraska...  its just that they need not feel so bad about their less than even prospects there given the other opportunities that are availing themselves this cycle.

If Kerrey announces that he will not run for the Senate, as I agree is looking more likely, I think the DSCC will attempt to woo either Omaha Mayor Mike Fahey or Scott Kleeb in that order. 
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 04:47:07 AM »

By Aaron Blake
September 27, 2007

Former Rep. Hal Daub (R-Neb.) will drop out of race to replace Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.) on Friday, according to Nebraska GOP sources.

Daub announced Thursday that he would make a “major announcement” on Friday morning at 10 a.m. EST at the Omaha Press Club. He said he would not respond to press inquiries before the announcement.

According to the sources, Daub conducted polling on the race and found he had a long way to go to compete with former Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns (R), who is expected to announce his candidacy soon.

The move would come just days after Daub launched radio and television ads and two weeks after he officially entered the race.

http://thehill.com/campaign-2008/daub-to-drop-bid-for-senate-nebraska-sources-say-2007-09-27.html
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies