Another GOP retirment in a swing district
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:01:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Another GOP retirment in a swing district
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Another GOP retirment in a swing district  (Read 2385 times)
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 19, 2007, 10:53:50 PM »

Jerry Weller, IL-11, will call it quits, according to the Chicago Tribune.

http://weblogs.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/blog/2007/09/sources_weller_to_retire.html

This will be a hard one to hold, given Illinois move leftward and the state of the Illinois Republican party.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 11:05:31 PM »

This seat's bluer than recent Democratic pickup IL-08, for example, and has a higher rural % than IL-14. Could be the site of a close House race.
Conan
conan

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 11:10:32 PM »

This seat's bluer than recent Democratic pickup IL-08, for example, and has a higher rural % than IL-14. Could be the site of a close House race.
You really think so?
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 11:56:31 PM »

You really think so?

The PVI shows IL-11 has a higher Democratic base than IL-14 and IL-08. Then again, the PVI is not always the best indicator for House district performance -- think of all the ruby red House districts controlled by Democrats.

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 03:27:45 PM »

This one's official now. The Sun-Times had a preview this morning of the likely entrants  into IL-11. The Tribune puts into context for IL to be a prime battleground for 2008.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 04:15:20 PM »

For what it's worth, this district is R+3. Republican-leaning but very winnable for the Democrats. It is indeed substantially more Democratic than IL-08, which is R+5 and saw Melissa Bean win 51% of the vote (plus 5% for a left-wing third party).
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 05:22:54 PM »

For what it's worth, this district is R+3. Republican-leaning but very winnable for the Democrats. It is indeed substantially more Democratic than IL-08, which is R+5 and saw Melissa Bean win 51% of the vote (plus 5% for a left-wing third party).

R+1 actually.  It pretty much votes the national average. 
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 07:59:04 PM »

A second non-denominational protestant out of house of representatives !!! (Allen is the first one). I think it is OK to be non-member of any church in first place, but I think all are tired of these "just protestants". I hope they elect member for some interesting church as a new representative.

What we need is more atheists and agnostics in Congress so I hope they elect someone who has no religious affiliation whatsoever.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 08:43:51 PM »

A second non-denominational protestant out of house of representatives !!! (Allen is the first one). I think it is OK to be non-member of any church in first place, but I think all are tired of these "just protestants". I hope they elect member for some interesting church as a new representative.

What we need is more atheists and agnostics in Congress so I hope they elect someone who has no religious affiliation whatsoever.

No, no, no.  More hardline Quakers!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 10:36:35 PM »

Weller is married to a fascist (literally). Good riddance.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 03:48:11 AM »

And fewer Swarthmore ones.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 03:15:50 PM »

No, no, no.  More hardline Quakers!
What Congress needs is more Cao Dai.
defe07

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 01:13:43 PM »

It would be very interesting to see if the Greens take advantage of their ballot access (thanks to the 10% their Gubernatorial candidate got last year) and decide to run in this seat.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 06:50:24 PM »

It would be very interesting to see if the Greens take advantage of their ballot access (thanks to the 10% their Gubernatorial candidate got last year) and decide to run in this seat.
There is a candidate, Jason Wallace, according to the Green party website.
CollectiveInterest

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007, 07:52:25 PM »

You know the GOP is in a weak position when they are hanging their hopes on the Greens getting enough votes to keep the GOP competitive.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2007, 07:58:58 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2007, 08:02:53 PM by MarkWarner08 »

Another day, another piece of bad news for the GOP.
The DCCC AGAIN recruited their number one candidate. Where's that second wave of NRCC recruits?Tongue

http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecrypt/1007/Top_Democratic_recruit_to_announce_run_for_Weller_seat.html

The Democrats have now prodded the State Senate Majority Leader in Illinois and the State Senate Minority Leader in Michigan to run for the U.S House. Just two years ago, this kind of success from a then-feckless organization like the DCCC would've been astounding.
CollectiveInterest

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2007, 08:14:01 PM »

I'm gonna enjoy seeing Republicans in close House districts twist in the wind when the GOP diverts its resources to swing states, Senate seats and governors races.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies