Murtha is a crazy person
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:54:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Murtha is a crazy person
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Murtha is a crazy person  (Read 1216 times)
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 18, 2007, 10:52:34 PM »

Rep. John Murtha (D-PA) told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette he expects to have 40-50 new Democratic colleagues in the House after the 2008 elections. 

LOL!  Where does he think this 40-50 seat gain is going to come from?  I think 20 net seats is their ceiling and that's only if they have another perfect election and no one loses.  I'm expecting something more along the lines of a 5-10 net gain in the House.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 10:57:39 PM »

Murtha is just being an optimist.  Granted, it's not DailyKos/MyDD optimist, but who in their right mind is?  I don't think it shows any signs of craziness.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 10:58:37 PM »

Rep. John Murtha (D-PA) told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette he expects to have 40-50 new Democratic colleagues in the House after the 2008 elections. 

LOL!  Where does he think this 40-50 seat gain is going to come from?  I think 20 net seats is their ceiling and that's only if they have another perfect election and no one loses.  I'm expecting something more along the lines of a 5-10 net gain in the House.

Thanks for posting this article. In a world without computer-aided gerrymandering, there would be a small chance of that happening.  In today's world, there's an infinitesimal chance of the Dems picking up 40-50 new seats.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 11:16:04 PM »

The goal should 10 in house and 4 in seante with 6/3 as a win. Although, 15/6 would be doable as well.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 11:20:13 PM »

Murtha is just being an optimist.  Granted, it's not DailyKos/MyDD optimist, but who in their right mind is?  I don't think it shows any signs of craziness.

I wasn't really being literal.  I was just commenting on the intensely overly optimistic estimate he gave.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 06:41:03 AM »

that doesn't necessarily mean the Dems will pick up that many seats - that can count replacements for retirees.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 09:02:49 AM »

He sounds like Newt Gingrich, who takes normal estimates of House gains or losses and inflates them by 5-10 times in order to sound important. Always wondered precisely which 10 Republicans would have won in '08 if Rumsfeld had stepped down earlier, or which 40 Democrats were going to lose in '98. 
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 09:51:15 PM »

Providing Democrats keep a "big tent" and run suitable candidates in GOP districts with the kind of narrative that will resonate with most voters, gains can be made. Granted they might not necessarily follow a 'liberal' line all of the time, but they'll be an improvement on most Republicans

Aim high Democrats Smiley, aim high. Any district where the GOP polled less than 60% should be targetted; of course, with selective and varying degrees of resources ploughed into them

Dave
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 06:53:33 PM »

The goal should 10 in house and 4 in seante with 6/3 as a win. Although, 15/6 would be doable as well.

That is a pretty weak goal. Shoot for the stars man.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 08:42:42 PM »

Its always been my belief, being a conservative man, that a modest goal with unexpectedly greater results is always better than a lofty goal with unexpectedly fewer results.  Less chance for disappointment with a modest goal.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 08:46:12 PM »

Its always been my belief, being a conservative man, that a modest goal with unexpectedly greater results is always better than a lofty goal with unexpectedly fewer results.  Less chance for disappointment with a modest goal.

You aren't a conservative. You are a populist.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 08:50:03 PM »

You aren't a conservative. You are a populist.

I'm a populist with conservative leanings.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies