First Research 2000 Indiana poll shows Daniels (R) ahead of Long-Thompson (D)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:49:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  First Research 2000 Indiana poll shows Daniels (R) ahead of Long-Thompson (D)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: First Research 2000 Indiana poll shows Daniels (R) ahead of Long-Thompson (D)  (Read 2380 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 20, 2007, 12:35:21 AM »

General Election:

Daniels: 46%
Long-Thompson: 38%

Daniels Job Approval:

Excellent/Good: 45%
Fair/Poor: 47%

DEM Primary:

Long-Thompson: 41%
Young: 16%
Schellinger: 10%

The Research 2000 Indiana Poll was conducted from September 10 through September 14, 2007. A total of 800 likely voters who vote regularly in state elections were interviewed statewide by telephone.

http://www.wishtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7099910
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 12:39:46 AM »

Still enough points to gain for both sides here and allthough Daniels' approvals are not the greatest it´s more likely that he´ll hang on than for example Gov. Blunt in MO ...
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 04:16:28 AM »

Have I mentioned how excited I am about Long-Thompson?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 06:45:40 AM »

Is Long-Thompson really the best candidate the Democrats can find here?
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 10:10:49 AM »

How is she not a good candidate?  She's had experience in Congress and in government before and held a swing district until her defeat in the very Republican year of 2002.  Having said that I thought that Tim Roemer might well run. 
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 03:14:38 PM »

How is she not a good candidate?  She's had experience in Congress and in government before and held a swing district until her defeat in the very Republican year of 2002.  Having said that I thought that Tim Roemer might well run. 

How is she not a good candidate?  Because she's lost more races for congress than she's won?  (Four and counting.)  Because she was a mere two-term Rep who served from 1991–1995, well over 12 years ago?  Because the only person genuinely excited about Jill Long Thompson's candidacy is Jill Long Thompson?
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 04:53:55 PM »

Because the only person genuinely excited about Jill Long Thompson's candidacy is Jill Long Thompson?

And me!  And probably Mitch Daniels!
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 08:56:21 PM »

Because the only person genuinely excited about Jill Long Thompson's candidacy is Jill Long Thompson?

And me!  And probably Mitch Daniels!

I stand corrected!

Because the only person ^Democrat genuinely excited about Jill Long Thompson's candidacy is Jill Long Thompson?
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »

Nice job, IN Democrats. You're about to ruin your chance at winning the gubernatorial mansion by running Indiana's version of Myrtle York.

I recently read a Wall Street Journal editorial on Mitch Daniel's policies as Governor. I was impressed by his political courage (selling the Toll Road to a foreign company -- a move that angered economic nationalists) and his innovative solutions  to problems (outsourcing prison meals to help reduce the budget deficit). Overall, he seems like a rather prudent leader who avoids petty ideological battles. If I were a Hoosier, I'd likely vote to reelect Governor Daniels.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 11:57:07 AM »

What's wrong with Long-Thompson?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 04:48:30 PM »

She's going into the Governor's race having lost two consecutive races for lower office.  Please, stay with us!
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 05:24:58 PM »

She's going into the Governor's race having lost two consecutive races for lower office.  Please, stay with us!

OK, she barely lost IN-02 in 2002, which was a down year for Democrats.  Then she lost IN-04(now IN-03) in the 1994 tidal wave and keep in mind that this was a heavily Republican district. 
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 07:25:45 PM »

OK, she barely lost IN-02 in 2002, which was a down year for Democrats.  Then she lost IN-04(now IN-03) in the 1994 tidal wave and keep in mind that this was a heavily Republican district. 

That's all really immaterial.  She's still got the stink of a habitual loser on her.  And she's still a nobody, having been out of office for over 12 years.  I mean, that's LaRocco level stuff.  And whomever that nobody ex-congressman running for U.S. Senate in Kansas is.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2007, 02:39:22 AM »

Further interesting bits of this poll have been released:

Indiana voters just approve of Bush by 39-59, with men approving 45-54 and women 33-64.

37% of Indiana Republicans disapprove of Bush and 70% of Independents do so.

56% support a withdrawal from Iraq in the next year, 37% do not.

36% trust the Democrats on Iraq, 31% Bush and 22% neither.

http://www.wishtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7110615

I hope they release a 2008 Presidential poll too Wink
mgrossbe
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.43

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 06:48:47 PM »

The main problem with our canidate pool is the three best canidates are either tied up in reelection bids, bart petterson(myr of indy), baron hill(IN-09), or wants a different postion ie the senate as in tim roemer and lee hamilton, unless there is a bayh family member that comes out of nowhere to win on his last name she is the best we got. Also, the head of the senate and house democrats have declined.

To Mark Warner the problem with daniels plan to sell the toll roads for most people was not the fact it was not foriegn owned but it did not pay for state construction cost that it was supposed. Right now the main state roads and highways are under construction or set to be and this sale was supposed to allievate the budget pains of it. However the money was not allocated that way. He also likes to talk about bring in new jobs in front of stores like walmart and dollar general while the south part of the state is hemoraging workers. Oh and he tried to say he helped get the new colts stadium finalized which was done before he was in office and everyone knows petterson had far more to do with. That would be a devasting issue if it was a petterson daniels race. The may be a basketball state but its got a colts addiction.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies