Republican mayor of San Diego comes out for gay marriage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:46:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republican mayor of San Diego comes out for gay marriage
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Republican mayor of San Diego comes out for gay marriage  (Read 3047 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 20, 2007, 08:03:22 PM »

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/9/20/19557/9117
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 08:08:38 PM »

Well, if that story's true, Jesse Helms is even more of a HP than I thought.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 08:13:08 PM »

Ah, well that's great. We need men like the mayor of San Diego as the new leaders of the Republican party. It's time to kick the Religious right out. Also, major kudos to the mayor for having the decency to accept his daughter. The contrast between him and the Alan Keyes of the world is noteworthy.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 09:58:35 PM »

I'm impressed. Smiley The funny thing is that "far-left" Barbara Boxer would disagree with him
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 10:28:31 PM »

How long till he is kicked out of the GOP??

Seriously though wish we would see more stories likle this from both parties.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 10:32:06 PM »

Not terribly suprising. San Diego may be the most conservative major city on the West Coast, but that's a little like being the shortest player in the NBA. Anyhow, it will be fun to watch the GOP reaction.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 01:39:43 AM »

Frankly, the major Democratic candidates should be shown this video and be asked exactly why they still do not support marriage equality.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 02:06:41 PM »

Right when I move into La Jolla as well.
Conan
conan

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 02:22:10 PM »

FF.... obviously loves his family and friends unlike some people. This is pro-family.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 02:48:11 PM »

Very disappointing.  Marriage should be between a man and a woman - and because you're daughter is a lesbian - thta shouldn't affect your decision.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 02:49:26 PM »

who cares.  especially at Inks.  you really shouldn't give a sh**t if the mayor of SD supports gay marriage.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 02:55:19 PM »

This story brought tears to my eyes.  There's nothing more beautiful than two men uniting to become as one flesh.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 02:59:26 PM »

This story brought tears to my eyes.  There's nothing more beautiful than two men uniting to become as one flesh.

Very graphic.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 03:22:13 PM »

who cares.  especially at Inks.  you really shouldn't give a sh**t if the mayor of SD supports gay marriage.

The same reason that everybody else who's commented in the thread does - and nobody lives in San Diego - so why single me out?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 04:02:40 PM »

Very disappointing.  Marriage should be between a man and a woman - and because you're daughter is a lesbian - thta shouldn't affect your decision.

You are "very disappointed" that one mayor of one city disagrees with you?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 04:04:01 PM »

You are "very disappointed" that one mayor of one city disagrees with you?

Yeah - but I'm not disappointed because of that - I'm disappointed because of the issue.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 04:06:13 PM »

Yeah - but I'm not disappointed because of that - I'm disappointed because of the issue.

You don't feel even a slight pinch of empathy for gay people who can't get married?  Even if you disagree with their decision and desire, that doesn't bother a fundamental part of you whatsoever?
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 04:18:20 PM »

Such great family values! Maybe we should all disown our children for reasons that are beyond their control. After all, we need to maintain those pristine Republican family values. And don't worry. A lot of Democrats share in your irrational hatred as well, so nothing will come of the mayor's statement.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007, 10:49:56 PM »

You don't feel even a slight pinch of empathy for gay people who can't get married?  Even if you disagree with their decision and desire, that doesn't bother a fundamental part of you whatsoever?

No - because they could be straight if they really wanted.

And, Everett - I wouldn't disown her - but I wouldn't support her lesbian lifestyle.  I'd still lover her and interact with her, but she'd know that I disapprove.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2007, 11:17:56 PM »

That's an exceptionally dumb thing to assert. Most gay people grow up wishing that they were straight because they fear being terrorized for it. In fact many of them 'play straight' for a while rather than face themselves and society (which is why 'coming out' is such a big deal). I would not expect you to understand something like this. In your mind they are just morally depraved. What's even more aggravating is that you assert that they have their own 'lifestyle'. There is not a 'gay lifestyle'. People like you use it to label all homosexuals as being promiscuous crazed sex addicts who probably do drugs and all kinds of terrible things that obviously aren't prominent at all in the straight community. Give me a break.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2007, 11:51:54 PM »

lol

so you could be gay if you really wanted?  I know that I can't.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2007, 02:52:14 AM »

And, Everett - I wouldn't disown her - but I wouldn't support her lesbian lifestyle.  I'd still lover her and interact with her, but she'd know that I disapprove.

You can't be that goddamn stupid can you?  What exactly are you basing this crap off of?  Saying gays could be straight if they wanted to is like saying I could be attracted to a 70 year old woman who is 400 pounds if I wanted to, and well that can't happen.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2007, 03:09:25 AM »

That's an exceptionally dumb thing to assert. Most gay people grow up wishing that they were straight because they fear being terrorized for it. In fact many of them 'play straight' for a while rather than face themselves and society (which is why 'coming out' is such a big deal). I would not expect you to understand something like this. In your mind they are just morally depraved. What's even more aggravating is that you assert that they have their own 'lifestyle'. There is not a 'gay lifestyle'. People like you use it to label all homosexuals as being promiscuous crazed sex addicts who probably do drugs and all kinds of terrible things that obviously aren't prominent at all in the straight community. Give me a break.

No I don't think that gays are crazed  sex addicts who do drugs - I'm close friends of jamespol.

And I base this off the belief that it's just another temptation - like committing adultery - it's the same as any other sexual sin.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2007, 03:50:17 AM »

Could you be sexually attracted to men if you really wanted?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2007, 04:37:36 AM »

and because you're daughter is a lesbian - thta shouldn't affect your decision.

Why would you support legislation that discriminates against your own family?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies