Atlasian-United States Relations Exploration Act [Passed]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:18:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasian-United States Relations Exploration Act [Passed]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Atlasian-United States Relations Exploration Act [Passed]  (Read 8931 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2007, 11:56:31 AM »

Aye
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2007, 12:09:27 PM »

I urge the President to veto this piece of garbage.  A resolution of this type and this brief is not the way to recognize the United States.  We need a national discussion on this issue.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2007, 12:43:31 PM »

I urge, once again, the President to veto this legislation.  If he does sign, however, I will ignore it.  And if the President does acknowledge the US, I will ignore that too, and discuss my options to deal with such matters with other concerned Atlasian citizens.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2007, 05:50:33 PM »

This legislation has enough votes to pass.  Senators shall have 24 hours to change their votes.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2007, 05:55:54 PM »

If he does sign, however, I will ignore it.

Ignore it as PPT, or as a citizen?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2007, 06:01:33 PM »

If he does sign, however, I will ignore it.

Ignore it as PPT, or as a citizen?

As a Senator and citizen, not as PPT, which is obviously an administrative position, only.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2007, 06:18:25 PM »

I urge the President to veto this piece of garbage.  A resolution of this type and this brief is not the way to recognize the United States.  We need a national discussion on this issue.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2007, 06:33:29 PM »

LOL.

A national discussion?  You kids have had a chance to do that every single time we've voted on this proposal.  That's just a stupid talking point when you all come out of the woodwork and need an excuse to oppose it.

If people want to get serious about reform, especially the way we react to events and news, they'll support this resolution.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2007, 09:46:35 PM »

I urge the President to veto this legislation.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2007, 01:18:22 PM »

If the President signs this he might as well be signing an agreement for the end of atlasia.  The implications of this bill will be so taxing in terms of agreeing on how to proceed with governmental activities that atlasia will finally be abandoned.

I urge a veto.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2007, 04:44:42 PM »

Let me add my voice to the chorus of veto-supporters.  As my colleage Verily has stated before, this thing "United States" is little more than the figment of our collective imaginations.  There is only one country between Mexico and Canada, and that is Atlasia.

This bill, which a mere 40% of the Senate supports, threatens our very sense of reality.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2007, 04:52:10 PM »

I would like to explain my abstention on this bill: I'm mostly disgusted with the importance that people are placing on this reform. The arguments for positive and negative impacts have been laid out, and, really, I don't see any net change to result from this bill. It's frivolous, but so is the status quo. I am disillusioned with the discussion on this issue for that reason. Now that it comes to it, I would like the President to veto this bill, if only to offer the citizenry of Atlasia the opportunity to vent their spleens on an issue about which many people seem to have passionate opinions, and on which the course the Senate has taken appears to be far out of line with popular opinion.

Personally, my level of caring about the issue one way or another is quite low.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #87 on: October 21, 2007, 05:12:46 PM »

I will make a decision concerning this tomorrow. Thank you.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2007, 05:00:01 PM »

I would like to now exercise my power, under Amendment XIX of the Atlasian Constitution, to submit a redraft of a bill passed by the Senate. The Presidential Redraft reads:

Resolution on the issue of Atlasian recognition of the United States of America

Whereas, contrary to the official standpoint of the Atlasian government, the United States of America are still in existence, and still in possession of all the territories formerly in their possession,

Section 1

1. The Government of Atlasia is urged to recognize de jure the United States of America, and the legality of the government of the United States of America.
2. The Government of Atlasia is urged to establish diplomatic relations with the United States of America.

Section 2

1. The recognition of the United States, under the above terms, shall not take effect until such time as it approved of by a majority vote of the people of Atlasia (ignoring abstentions).

2. This vote shall take place no later than one month following the passage of this resolution under the overseeing of the Department of Forum Affairs and shall last for 72 hours. At least 5 days official notice shall be given by the Department of the upcoming ballot.

3. The vote shall constitute an election for the purposes of sections 10, 11, 13, 14 of the Consolidated Electoral System Reform Act (as amended).
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2007, 08:29:44 PM »

I commend the President in his wisdom sending this to the voters.  This is a matter which affects the fundamental structure of atlasia and thus should be dealt with by all citizens.  Let us soundly defeat the measure there and finally get back to the business of atlasia.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2007, 08:42:55 PM »

Well at least you didn't sign it.  I would have preferred a veto though.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2007, 09:31:50 PM »

Alright, according to the procedure laid out in the 19th amendment, Lewis, as original sponsor, you need to tell me whether to file a motion to approve the President's redraft or that you are withdrawing the bill...
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2007, 10:42:03 PM »

I commend the President in his wisdom sending this to the voters.  This is a matter which affects the fundamental structure of atlasia and thus should be dealt with by all citizens.  Let us soundly defeat the measure there and finally get back to the business of atlasia.

I concur.  An excellent use of the nineteenth amendment.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2007, 04:37:13 PM »

Interesting that symbolic changes often provoke the strongest reactions here (not a snide comment, btw. Tis good to see people out of office (and not seeking any) paying attention to what goes on in the National Legislature. If this trend continues it would be excellent for the game; better than any structural reforms or the like).

Curiously enough, I actually agree with a great deal of what Sen. Verily said on the 21st of October, though a slightly different way of looking at the issue produced a slightly different vote.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2007, 09:21:06 PM »

bumping b/c I need an answer from Lewis before I can proceed.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2007, 01:22:57 PM »

I do approve.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2007, 01:58:03 PM »

We are now voting on the Presidential Redraft, as follows:

The Presidential Redraft reads:

Resolution on the issue of Atlasian recognition of the United States of America

Whereas, contrary to the official standpoint of the Atlasian government, the United States of America are still in existence, and still in possession of all the territories formerly in their possession,

Section 1

1. The Government of Atlasia is urged to recognize de jure the United States of America, and the legality of the government of the United States of America.
2. The Government of Atlasia is urged to establish diplomatic relations with the United States of America.

Section 2

1. The recognition of the United States, under the above terms, shall not take effect until such time as it approved of by a majority vote of the people of Atlasia (ignoring abstentions).

2. This vote shall take place no later than one month following the passage of this resolution under the overseeing of the Department of Forum Affairs and shall last for 72 hours. At least 5 days official notice shall be given by the Department of the upcoming ballot.

3. The vote shall constitute an election for the purposes of sections 10, 11, 13, 14 of the Consolidated Electoral System Reform Act (as amended).

Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2007, 02:09:42 PM »

Aye
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #98 on: October 24, 2007, 04:48:49 PM »

Nay
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #99 on: October 24, 2007, 06:37:47 PM »

Aye. The referendum is good enough for me to support this, though I remain neutral on the reform itself.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies