Would Gore have invaded Iraq? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:04:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Would Gore have invaded Iraq? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: See question in first post below...
(D) Strong Yes
(D) Lean Yes
(D) Tossup
(D) Lean No
(D) Strong No
(R) Strong Yes
(R) Lean Yes
(R) Tossup
(R) Lean No
(R) Strong No
(I/O) Strong Yes
(I/O) Lean Yes
(I/O) Tossup
(I/O) Lean No
(I/O) Strong No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Would Gore have invaded Iraq?  (Read 2950 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« on: September 21, 2007, 04:08:29 PM »

He would probably have bombed it at some point, but that isn't the same thing.

Yeah; he would pretty much continue the Clinton Policy.

Tbh I'm more interested in what President Gore would have done differently in Afghanistan.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 01:17:50 PM »

Of course not. To believe that you'd have to be complete braindead f**king moron like Ralph Nader (who claims that)

Really Doubt that. I admit that Gore may not have invaded Iraq but let's forgot that Clinton's relationship with Iraq was hardly Cordial.. The Sanctions, The continous bombing, enforcement of the no-fly zone and Operation Desert Fox. I've no doubt if Gore became President he would use 9\11 as leverage against 'hostile' islamic regimes. But I doubt he would have gone all the way like Bush did.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 03:42:13 PM »

Of course not. To believe that you'd have to be complete braindead f**king moron like Ralph Nader (who claims that)

Really Doubt that. I admit that Gore may not have invaded Iraq but let's forgot that Clinton's relationship with Iraq was hardly Cordial.. The Sanctions, The continous bombing, enforcement of the no-fly zone and Operation Desert Fox. I've no doubt if Gore became President he would use 9\11 as leverage against 'hostile' islamic regimes. But I doubt he would have gone all the way like Bush did.

Iraq was not an Islamic regime, and Gore was critical of the invasion since before it began. He was opposed since day one. Sure Clinton wasn't friendly with Saddam, but who would be? There's no indication Gore would've actually invaded Iraq.

To say Clinton wasn't 'friendly' with Saddam is a massive understatement. He continued the UN sanctions (which only helped the regime as it made the populace more dependant on it) and not to mention that he seemed to bomb it into the stone age on a couple of occasions for dubious reasons (though not as dubious as bombing that Medicine factory in Sudan in order to distract media attention from that Lewinsky witchhunt nonsense.)

I tend to agree with Al, Iraq history begins with the end of Ottoman Empire (That last word appears too much in the history of Iraq) and decision of the British and the French with some assistance from the major warlord in the region, Ibn Saud (later the founder of the Saudi Dynasty) to split up the old non-Turkish Ottoman provinces.. any bloody way they wanted without any consideration for what the "damn natives" may think - actually iirc Iraq was a Winston Churchill initative. If anything the decision to unite those three ex-Ottoman provinces in Iraq was done in order to divide the populace as to make British Rule easier. Straight out of the Imperialist playbook - guess who has done something similiar recently?

Which goes to show that Empires are never a good idea.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies